February 2012; any rumors on high quality floor ampsim? kemper, afx

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by SnowfaLL, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL Member

Ive been at a military base with basically no internet since before NAMM, so someone fill me in, has there been any rumors or hints towards a high quality ampsim/effects floorunit? I know fractal mentioned a effects-only unit last year, but anything else pop up? ?

Kemper floorboard or even rackmount?

SM pro audio vst floorboard info? (From what i heard, the peavey muse only has revalver?)

Oh how i want something like this by 2013. Kemper floor model would be the best.

(Posting from android)

2. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I haven't heard anything. While I would love something like this, a high quality device (~$1500+) would probably be limited in a floorboard configuration. Somebody that's willing to drop that much money probably has some sort of rack (AxeFX) or other elaborate rig.

On the other hand, there is this little box that allows you to simulate a cab in a stompbox sized case: http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/

That combined with some boutique pedals is probably your best bet.

3. Swampash

Swampash Member

The Kemper dude at NAMM said that they are working on it, and that it would be 2013 at the earliest.

4. desdinova

desdinova Member

Probably it's just me, but I cannot understand the urge to have a top quality and thus expensive modeler in floorboard format.

In the studio, there is no real need for such a thing. OTOH the probability of it being damaged in a live situation is a serious consideration. In places I play, if somebody spills his beer on such a unit, it's game over. Quite different situation having a MIDI controller on your feet and your modeler safely installed in a rack. Even if the controller gets damaged, you can still use the unit. And quite nice MIDI floorboards can be had from $100 or so...

So, for the life of me, what is the purpose of a $1500 floor unit?? Can somebody give me a logical reason why such a thing should exist at all?

5. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

simple...

there's a market for it.

6. desdinova

desdinova Member

Oh, I see. No logical reason then.

7. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Having a market for a product is the only logical reason to produce a product from a business perspective.

From a player perspective (the market). Some of us want an all in one highly portable solution that can go from the bedroom > Studio > Live Gig without making multiple trips to our vehicle. Once you add in a rack + MIDI controller + instrument you are having a more difficult time doing that.

As long as you make the thing robust, why not? Not everyone plays in a venue where the drunks are allowed near the stage. I wouldn't want my $4K pedalboad in that environment either.

It seems your only real argument against it is other people spilling a product on your gear. How logical is that? :munch

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I spent 500 on my HD 500. I don't think I'd pay one penny more for an all-in-one floor unit myself. any more and I want a rack and foot pedal. In fact, if the HD 500 were in two pieces I'd like it better, but I wouldn't spend more money on it... hence the "perfect price point" of 500 bucks for that, imho.

I don't think there will be one. I think Kemper will do some market research and find that there won't be enough of a market for it.

IMHO YMMV... etc...

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

:agree

I'm with you 100% on this. Others may want one but I would never put a $1,500 anything on the floor at a gig.
    Well, I assume that no matter what the gig was they'd allow me near the stage and whether it was beer or cola I could spill something at any time stone cold sober.

Clearly some would like such a device and that's fine. Personally I'm really glad that my expense is limited to the cost of a MFC-101 which is expensive enough to put at risk as it is.

Maybe I haven't been a member here long enough, but I can't even imagine a $4K pedalboard.

10. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

exactly.

the beer spillage scenario is pretty silly, when you consider that people routinely take their $75,000 BMWs out on the road so birds can crap all over them, strangers can open doors into them, etc.

not to mention that if'n you're into boutique/vintage pedals, you could very easily have $5k worth of pedals on a well-equipped pedal board.

also, didn't TC have a high-end floor unit on the market? they might still.

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Not necessarily. There are people who say they'd be interested. A market is a group of people who will actually plunk down the money. There are lots of virtual big spenders on guitar discussion boards who say they'd buy something.

12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Here's 3:

Many players do not play in live in bars. In fact, there's a great many who's primary live performance venue is a church. The threat of a beer spill is next to non in that setting.

Single floor board offers less to tote into a gig that a rack mounted device and a separate pedal board, and typically at less expense.

With editors available for nearly every device on the market, there's not a need to bend down to the floor to twist the dials, you can do it sitting comfortably at a desk.

13. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I had ~$1200 on the floor when I was using discrete pedals on a pedalboard, not sure why things would be different with a modeling floorboard.

14. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

well, if you have a pedalboard with $1500 of pedals, and somebody dumps beer on it, maybe one or two pedals get hosed enough to be trashed, like $200-$400. And if analog, probably repairable. Unfortunately with a modeller unit ( or even an expensive foot midi controller) its all or nothing.

15. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

You have been here since 2006, my board isn't that impressive in retail prices

VFE Bumble Bee = 140
    Snow White Auto Wah = 300
    Micro Pog = 220
    Micro Vibe = 150
    BYOC Phase Royal = 90
    Ernie Ball Vol = 100
    Lovekraft Chupacrabra = 140
    King of Tone = 245
    Box of Rock = 200
    Ethos = 450
    Hall of Fame #1 = 150
    DD-20 = 220
    Empress Trem = 250
    Hall of Fame #2 = 150
    JamMan Stereo = 300
    Extra controler for Jamman = 40
    Radial JDIMK4 = 350
    BBE Power supply = 150
    Various other power supplies = 75
    Cables = 200 (just for the board, not including instrument or XLR from the DI)
    Board itself = 150

That's 4K right there....

then I also include a
    Freeze = 118
    Or Adding any any number of others dirts on an as needed basis ($90 - 225 each)

Or various Fuzzes.

Most don't seem to realize how quickly pedals and the necessary components of the board add up.

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Yep, the G-System is 1.6K and it doesn't even have amp sims

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSystem

17. hearmecrybaby

hearmecrybaby Senior Member

TC actually figured out this scenario though.... the G-System's "brains" are removable. There is a 1u rack unit that slides out of the board that you can rackmount and connect by ethernet if you prefer having a rack setup. That way the floorboard becomes a controller with LCD readouts

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

What I didn't realize was how many pedals you had on your board...wow! :omg

I think fear of spillage and the like is a personal thing. I'm a worrier, wish I wasn't, but there's no changing it now.

It's fine that people have different preferences and I understand the portability rationale. I just like having the guts of my main amp/preamp up off the floor.

I was actually considering that until the Axe FX came out.

19. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I definitely fall into this group and even though us Lutherans love a good German beer... not so much on Sunday mornings. :rotflmao

I went from toting an AxeFX rig to an HD500. Which do I like better in terms of tone? The AxeFX by miles. Which do I like carrying from the parking lot and setting up? The HD500 by miles. It would be nice to not have to trade off one for the other.

Nothing really to add here, other then 'I agree', but since I quoted your other 2 points... :p

20. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Yeah, I custom made it. Its not that big of a foot print 29 X 19 or something like that. And I really maximized the space. (oh, and I forgot the most important pedal...the Turbo Tuner)

The Ernie Ball Vol and JamMan stuff sit off the board.

I'm a worrier too. I'll only play certain gigs where I'm comfortable with the environment. And my pedals are bike chained linked to the board. The only thing someone could run off with is the JamMan or the Vol.

I don't see why another vendor couldn't capitalize on the G-System style brain and foot-control combo. It will happen eventually, I just wonder who will be the 1st to do it, and do it well.