Federal Jury duty tomorrow......

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Lwilliams, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

When I had mine, the judge would not let anyone out of it for any reason. And there were a few real hardship cases in our pool. I really felt sorry for them. The judge just went on and on about what a hardass he was, made a show out of sending US Marshals out to arrest the no-shows, and on and on. That judge was in the news a lot recently too. I was the last person they dismissed that day.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

This is just beyond wrong imo.

Yeah, I get that we should all be doing what we can and that there are people that want out of ANY jury duty simply because they'd rather not be there, but the last thing any responsible judge would want is a jury with people that are distracted by how much their lives are being damaged by it and who could easily just "go along" with the quickest way out of the deliberation room.

monty, Mngwa, Scrapperz and 2 others like this.
  3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I'm on call for June in San Diego county Federal as well, last week I called Sunday, it said to call back this Sunday after 6, which is like an hour and a half from now.......I don't mind serving but the 38 mile drive to Federal court during the last week of school and my sons birthday? That sucks. I'm sort of hoping I just have to report tomorrow and then be dismissed because the drive alone is brutal.

4. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Agreed. But you have to wonder how many people are clueless about judges. They are literally the most powerful men most of us will ever cross paths with. And most are laser focused on either the law or their own ego, or both.

It’s a real good idea to be quiet and not draw attention to yourself.

Scrapperz, A-Bone and rhinocaster like this.
  5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

A witness in one case showed up in an outfit Judge McGee didn't approve of (State Court) and the Judge sent this woman home to change into a more appropriate outfit.

That was an eye opener.

Scrapperz and A-Bone like this.
  6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I’m in Canada. I got summoned, but I was doing lights & sound for Prom the weekend after selection. Selection was tues and prom was sat. I’ve nevrr been summoned but I heard the trialcoulx start that day.

I got dismissed (didn’t have to show) since I was providing a service that couldn’t be replaced in time. I did include that if the trial was starting on the Monday after, yes I would be available.

We get paid our normal hourly rate at work when serving on a jury.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

In 1972, they were virtually all male; older gents with white hair and etc. But that's not true at all anymore. Some courts are pretty close to 50% female judges.

The men, actually, have more of a sense of humor about things, I found. In Federal Court, nobody disrespects them and they're not really that anxious about maintaining their authority. They're cool IMO, unless you're obviously messing with them. Now, they might fine a lawyer for being 4 minutes late for a Conference, but then when you present the check for $ 250, they'll let you slide. Usually. :^)

Jon C and Sidney Vicious like this.
  8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Last year my Dad (who is now aged 93) got a Jury Summons, out in Central Coastal California. He would've been a disaster as a juror at this point, as his hearing is totally shot. I suggested my parents call and have his name stricken but my Dad was fascinated by the idea of being called again. Anyway, the parents called that number they give you, and the voice says "not needed today, call back (in two weeks)" and on the 3rd call the voice said "won't be needed, thanks for your service".

Age 92. I wish they had more confidence in his ability to drive without torturing him with all these tests and etc.

84superchamp likes this.
  9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

When I got mine, they sent it to a previous house I had sold a year earlier. I had updated my DL and voter reg., but no matter. I got the notice about two days before my date. Sure would have hated to find out I missed it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

See, there are some advantages to being blind.

11. CaptainCrunch137

CaptainCrunch137 Member

Present yourself as a bigot. Do whatever it takes to not be selected. I dont care about the civil duty crap. I believe here where I am they pay you like $6 an hour. Yeah no thanks.

MuddyDitch likes this.
  12. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Did you make the call?

My summons said that they pay for mileage to and from the court. 18 miles, one way, fo rme.
    I also hope to get dismissed tomorrow.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My firm got hit when a calendar error (mine) missed a Fed Dist Ct hearing in Newark.

After Judge's clerk called my office, I made the usual 35-minute drive to Newark in my '85 SAAB 900 Turbo in about 17 minutes. :eeks

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Fecked up attitude IMO, it's your civic duty. Don't be a dick. :idea

mythoughtcrime likes this.
  15. mythoughtcrime

mythoughtcrime Member

Not the place or time to act up. Get there early, dress nice, and only speak when addressed. No cell phones means exactly that, read over your directions again as nothing in there is up for debate. You'll be sworn in before you're questioned, what you state needs to be the truth if you want to get out of there fast.

I went through jury duty two years ago in federal court. It's no joke, and you're most likely there because the rest of somebody's life is being decided on.

The jury selection turned out to be predominately young women, due to the defendant being a handsome young man and his lawyers were clearly hoping for an emotional response out of the jury. Quite the eye opener to see how all this actually works. One juror showed up late and dressed extremely casually, they got taken away for something special, not sure what, didn't see them again.

Anybody presenting a hardship excuse was allowed to leave, and you could present your excuse to the judge in private if you wanted to.

16. JDJ

JDJ Member

Those who don't want to perform jury service have no standing to complain about the justice system, imo.

Jon C likes this.
  17. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Member

Dressing like a douchebag or bigot is the wrong way to go. It is so obvious what your intentions are.

You want to go the exact opposite road. Dress as super conservative as possible and ask as many serious questions as you can without over-doing it. Bow-tie is mandatory. You will be the first person the defense sends home.

Scrapperz and sprag like this.
  18. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I think they should pay you what you would lose, by being there. Missing a mortgage payment is no joke.

slap_back05, Rick Lee and Lwilliams like this.
  19. DV52

DV52 Member

I got summoned for a Federal Case . There were high profile no nonsense prosecutors,
    FBI agents, about 20 or so between the two groups . They were dead serious. Big deal .
    Several days of going through the Jurors. I did not get selected and did not follow the case. BB, I think is an attorney and can shed some light . But when the FBI is in there with that much firepower it can't be good. I kinda wish I had been picked because it was very interesting > I am also kinda glad that I did not get picked as I had several big projects going at work .

20. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

Meh. I did Federal jury duty a few years back. Trial lasted 3 days, no biggie. It was annoying, but on the bright side it was right about the time the state was picking jurors for the Jodi Arias trial, so I was covered for that!