FedEx destroyed my vintage Princeton Reverb - help requested

1973Marshall

Mailed my vintage Princeton Reverb to myself since I was moving. Got it insured well above value. It arrived with the cabinet split on the top (away from the joint, about 3-4" in), and non-functioning.

I made a claim, they denied it claiming they didn't get my supporting docs, so I spoke to them and they gave me an email address to send the requested single piece of documentation. Two weeks passed, I called and it turns out they had not even reopened the case.

The claims agent got combative and said I have to prove it could be repaired or not. I asked to know what that means and what proof do they want (given it was a special one - a tech said it might not be the same as with any vintage piece). She then twisted that to say I am claiming it could be repaired. Of course she tried to insinuate it wasn't packed right - umm FedEx was paid to pack it and ship (as stated in the claim)! These folks are nuts!

So now I have to get an amp tech to write a letter? I don't even have time to visit a tech let alone go through this even longer process - for something FedEx screwed up? Will they pay for my time to indemnify?

She then said they would have to collect the amp to a salvage center and determine if it could be repaired etc etc. I asked to speak to a supervisor - none was available and they have yet to call back.

FYI she had yet to reopen the case.

Never been through this before. Any advice?

Jr Deluxe

I have dealt with damage claims . I worked in shipping for 20 years. Sorry. Youre screwed and have no rights or recourse. Because youre an individual they figure its no loss losing one customer. If you shipped hundred or thoudands of dollars of billed shipping charges each month then you got some clout. But even then it can be a long shot. It not what you want to hear and its not encouraging but its the cold truth. But keep fighting, keep calling, you might wear them down.

muchXS

My experience with this is it's like wrecking a car. Totalling a car. There ain't no halfway with these people. Either they'll pay for it or they won't. If they pay for it they want to collect the "salvage" and that's the last time you'll see or hear from your amp.

FedEx, UPS and USPS are in the business of moving freight not repairing electronics. Being as it's not what they do it's not surprising the process is wildly dysfunctional.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Silver Supporting Member
Just file a lawsuit. It's the only thing these companies listen to. I was getting nowhere with my UPS claim (which they delivered to the complete wrong address without explanation) and got the runaround until I just filed a small claims lawsuit. Two days after service I got a phone call asking if I would dismiss for full value. Done and done.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
USPS damaged a guitar I shipped once. It took 3 separate back/forth letters to get them to cut a check for loss of value and repair. I did not have to get an expert to support my claim. I used to be a construction defect claims expert so I crafted letters using my learned dialogue to push my case.

slider313

Silver Supporting Member
File with small claims court for the full replacement value. I take photo's of every step of my packing process. They can claim it wasn't packed correctly but when the judge see's the photo's, they will lose.

Last edited:

MickeyJi

Just file a lawsuit. It's the only thing these companies listen to. I was getting nowhere with my UPS claim (which they delivered to the complete wrong address without explanation) and got the runaround until I just filed a small claims lawsuit. Two days after service I got a phone call asking if I would dismiss for full value. Done and done.
Yep, seems to be the only language these guys understand. I recently bought a Mesa TA 15 privately on the internet here in Germany. Seller shipped it with DHL fully insured, the package was scanned by DHL and then it suddenly disappeared, no tracking, nothing.Somebody obviously stole it. No problem I thought, it was insured, I'd be getting a full refund - but nope, these people kept on giving me the runaround for FOUR months, claiming the case was being reviewed.WTF is there to review, the thing disappeared, end of story. I don't know how many mails I sent them, registered letters, phone calls, all to no avail. Luckily the seller was a standup guy, so he sicked his lawyer on DHL. And presto, I had the money in my account within days.

Don't give up OP, threaten them with lawsuits, tell them you'll create a Twitter & Facebook shitsorm, keep on hassling them.

jimmyohio75

I have worked in sales at FedEx for twenty years. I have had about a hundred very heated discussions with customers over claims issues. Here’s how it works. By law the carrier has a legal right to mitigate the claim. In other words if an item cost $1,000 and it gets damaged while in the FedEx network you have the right to file a claim. If you file a claim and declare the item a total loss and ask for full replacement value of $1,000 FedEx has a right to determine if the item can be repaired at a lower cost than total replacement. The kicker is that the claimant is responsible for proving that the damaged item is indeed a total loss and cannot be repaired. This needs to be backed up with documentation. In many cases the claimant gets frustrated with the process and chooses NOT to provide the necessary documentation. In these cases the claim remains unresolved and the claimant does not receive restitution.
There have been many court cases involving carrier damage claims and in 95% of cases the court has sided with the Carrier because under the law the carrier has a legal right to mitigate the claim. If the claimant does not cooperate and provide the requested documentation they are in effect choosing to forego any potential restitution. Very frustrating indeed.

Scott L

Silver Supporting Member
Fedex's standard operating procedure in a claim is to deny getting documents from you, and close the claim.

Then try to dazzle you with BS about how it was packed - even if you got them to do it.

After this, they will give you the run-a-round about getting to a Supervisor. Days will go by and you will have to demand to speak to a senior supervisor. Even at that level I've dealt with bizarre requests - like I have to pay to re-ship to them for salvage value. No - I paid to ship it out in good condition, you damaged it, you pay for the salvage transport.

Be persistent, document everything, and log who and when you spoke to. Don't be rude, but also do not take no for an answer. You will have to make a stink about it.

highrise

I have worked in sales at FedEx for twenty years. I have had about a hundred very heated discussions with customers over claims issues. Here’s how it works. By law the carrier has a legal right to mitigate the claim. In other words if an item cost $1,000 and it gets damaged while in the FedEx network you have the right to file a claim. If you file a claim and declare the item a total loss and ask for full replacement value of $1,000 FedEx has a right to determine if the item can be repaired at a lower cost than total replacement. The kicker is that the claimant is responsible for proving that the damaged item is indeed a total loss and cannot be repaired. This needs to be backed up with documentation. In many cases the claimant gets frustrated with the process and chooses NOT to provide the necessary documentation. In these cases the claim remains unresolved and the claimant does not receive restitution.
There have been many court cases involving carrier damage claims and in 95% of cases the court has sided with the Carrier because under the law the carrier has a legal right to mitigate the claim. If the claimant does not cooperate and provide the requested documentation they are in effect choosing to forego any potential restitution. Very frustrating indeed.

Translation:

IF the shipper can piss you off enough that you refuse to deal with them...they win.

They can lie, distort the truth, whatever....

You MUST jump through their hoops.

Has anyone noticed that the “fuel surcharges” never came off once the price of gas came back down?

I generally refuse to ship.

I will generally spend as much in gas (or more in some cases) to personally hand deliver, as it would cost to ship...and considering the way these companies do business, you should too.

Last edited by a moderator:

reddgeetarzan

Silver Supporting Member
You need to read the fine print in regard to VINTAGE gear. They state they will not insure it for over $1k if I recall, regardless of what you actually paid for in insurance coverage. FedEx will not get any more of my business for this reason.

Adam Zaiger

Silver Supporting Member
THIS!!!!!!

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
If you buying shipping from Reverb.com, does that help ?
They have much more leverage with UPS than we do.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Try and go over that wankers head. Vintage, irreplaceable, never to be restored to original value with repairs.

jlinde

That's a crying shame..how did u package the amp? I've had the best luck lining the box with hard foam and custom shaping the box so it's a tight fit. Don't just leave the amp floating loose inside with foam balls! I had a Marshall Jvm410c come to me like that..Couldn't believe it..there was a 50 foot foam ball trail from my driveway to the house. The box was just mangled. The seller really had his head up his keister to do something dumb like that..

Trending Topics