FedEx destroyed my vintage Princeton Reverb - help requested

Rick Lee

I easily won a claim from FedEx on an EVH head they trashed. I didn't have to provide any documentation other than what I wrote in my emails to the lady handling the claim. She asked me if it could be repaired. I got an estimate and told her it could be repaired. She said, if FedEx pays the entire declared value amount, they keep the amp, but really have no use for it. So she asked what I'd accept for it and I keep the amp. I gave her a figure on the phone, she said to email it to her. A week later I had a check for $700 ABOVE what I told her I'd accept. They shipped the amp back to me and refunded my original shipping charges. Got the head repaired and sold it again with full disclosure). I really came out ahead on this one.

jimmyohio75

I easily won a claim from FedEx on an EVH head they trashed. I didn't have to provide any documentation other than what I wrote in my emails to the lady handling the claim. She asked me if it could be repaired. I got an estimate and told her it could be repaired. She said, if FedEx pays the entire declared value amount, they keep the amp, but really have no use for it. So she asked what I'd accept for it and I keep the amp. I gave her a figure on the phone, she said to email it to her. A week later I had a check for $700 ABOVE what I told her I'd accept. They shipped the amp back to me and refunded my original shipping charges. Got the head repaired and sold it again with full disclosure). I really came out ahead on this one.
See, FedEx doesn’t suck so bad after all. :D

AR-305

Or, ship in a road case.[/QUOTE]

Not even a road case will save an amp dropped off the end of a conveyer belt onto a cement floor.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
FedEx wrecked a Collings 290 I sold on here. It got slammed so hard that the toggle switch got pushed through and cracked the top. I filed a claim and, after having no problem charging me for insurance initially, they denied the claim on the basis that they don't do musical instrument insurance. I ended up eating it, but I never used them again.

For the folks that have gone through small claims, how do you even find out where the main entity is located to initiate a claim? I regret having never done anything, but I'd love to learn so that if I'm ever in that position again I can actually do something about it.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
This may help...

If a claim is denied you can dispute the denial.
Sometimes claims are approved on the 2nd try.
But once it’s denied on the 2nd try, that’s it (usually).

Rick Lee

FedEx wrecked a Collings 290 I sold on here. It got slammed so hard that the toggle switch got pushed through and cracked the top. I filed a claim and, after having no problem charging me for insurance initially, they denied the claim on the basis that they don't do musical instrument insurance. I ended up eating it, but I never used them again.
There has to be more to this. I'd have pushed this a lot farther than it sounds like you did.

sitedrifter

Platinum Supporting Member
UPS’s Declared Value is NOT insurance. Fedex is probably the same.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/create/declared-value-help.page
Fedex is the same. People confuse the money making scheme of carriers with declared value as it being some type of insurance. Declared Value:, You, the shipper pays for the honor or limiting the liability the carrier has for your item if lost, stolen damaged. Nothing more then a money making scheme like all their surcharges. Fedex also lists if the item is fragile the max limit of their liability is $1000 regardless of what liability limit you use.

highrise

Fedex is the same. People confuse the money making scheme of carriers with declared value as it being some type of insurance. Declared Value:, You, the shipper pays for the honor or limiting the liability the carrier has for your item if lost, stolen damaged. Nothing more then a money making scheme like all their surcharges. Fedex also lists if the item is fragile the max limit of their liability is $1000 regardless of what liability limit you use.
So there you have it...

It’s a tax on stupid people.

So if you put a declared value of $500 on an amp whose true appraised value is $1000...and a shipper trashed it...

THEN do you have any recourse to fight for more than $500 if you have all documentation of true value?

I’m not understanding what a declared value is...

Rick Lee

Well, FedEx paid me $2200 for the 5150 III Stealth head, which is what I had sold it for on eBay and listed as declared value.

Now, last week I sent a return label for a '72 Marshall 50w zi bought that cost plenty more than $1000. So we'll see what happens there.

jimmyohio75

So there you have it...

It’s a tax on stupid people.

So if you put a declared value of $500 on an amp whose true appraised value is $1000...and a shipper trashed it...

THEN do you have any recourse to fight for more than $500 if you have all documentation of true value?
No, once you provide a declared value that becomes the max that can be recouped in a damage situation. Many people fail to provide a declared value and that is the worst thing you can do.

Papanate

. Any advice?
Bring them and your amp to small claims court.
They have neither the time nor the resources to
send someone to defend FedEx.

Personal Experience: I had a client ship flash recorders from
Maryland to North Carolina. We provided the FedEx label from
our account which required a signature. Client had a Shipping
Store pack the gear.

FedEx delivered the package late to an address across town.
Didn't get the signature - and couldn't explain why. After
1 hour on the phone with them I had our lawyers file a small claims
case.

Not surprisingly Fed Ex called after receiving the summons. Due to the
nature of the material on the flash recorders the value was set at $5K.
They tried to weasel out - But I told them I have 2 minutes left to discuss
this - or they can pay the judgement 2 weeks later. They paid.

highrise

Shipping companies SHOULD NOT offer a declared value above $1000 if they never intend to honor it.

And they CERTAINLY shouldn’t let you pay for it.

Tell your customers the truth and let them make the decision they will make.

Don’t say one thing by offering a declared value of how ever much the shipper wants to pay, then do something different with small print legalese.

That’s not right or good.

WiresDream

The declared value is for customs and tax purposes. It's not for insurance purposes.

FedEx cost my company about a weeks worth of two people's productivity when they lost a drumkit that was supposed to be delivered to us in the UK from America. It turned up eventually but really screwed us for some time there!

Vibroluxman

It sounds like a crap shoot. I had an amp get damaged by UPS. Cosmetic only, but the cost to repair was almost the same cost as the amp. They not only gave me all of my money back on the amp but let me keep it. I think it helped that it was around Christmas so they were swamped.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Free advice: If anyone has a guitar or amp that is expensive and/or has sentimental value that cannot be replaced DO NOT ship with FedEx, UPS or USPS. Just don’t do it.
Hard to argue with this. Shipping an amp is like playing russian roulette no matter how well its packed. Things can happen; bad things. In nearly all cases the damage wasn't intentional, and even in those cases the system probably drove them to it. Being a delivery person pretty much sucks these days.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The declared value is for customs and tax purposes. It's not for insurance purposes.

FedEx cost my company about a weeks worth of two people's productivity when they lost a drumkit that was supposed to be delivered to us in the UK from America. It turned up eventually but really screwed us for some time there!
Wrong. The customs paperwork, the invoice, is what customs looks at and goes by to determine the duties and taxes. The Declared Value is for any claim amount.

Ringo

Silver Supporting Member
I've shipped a lot of stuff FedEx Ground, one time they delivered a vintage Super Champ to the wrong address, it took a few weeks but they paid the claim.
I filed a claim for a molded plastic guitar case that got cracked in transit, they paid that, and for a cheap Crate amp that got damaged in transit, they paid that.
Fortunately other than the Super Champ, I haven't had to file a claim for any expensive items.
And that is like 3 items out of hundreds of items that I've shipped.

I'd sure be checking into alternatives or other types of insurance when shipping high dollar amps, guitars etc...

WiresDream

Wrong. The customs paperwork, the invoice, is what customs looks at and goes by to determine the duties and taxes. The Declared Value is for any claim amount.
Yes I'm aware of that. But guess what is on the invoice? Go on.. guess...

Yup. You guessed it. The declared value. They use this to determine what import duties should be applied.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Guess what is on the invoice? Go on.. guess...

Yup. You ghe declared value. They use this to determine what import duties should be applied.
The invoice amount is what you’re selling the item for. The Declared Value is what it cost you, or to put it another way, what UPS or FedEx will pay a claim for.

Trending Topics