Feedback on Glenn DeLaune patches?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by plawren53202, May 9, 2016.

1. plawren53202

plawren53202 Member

I just recently picked up a Pod HD500 and am wondering about the Glenn DeLaune patches available for purchase for it.

Long time user of the XT Live, so I am not new to using modeling, but I am not an expert by any means. So far after about 10 hours or so of use on the HD500 I am not hating it, but not falling in love yet. Having an easier time dialing in higher gain patches (like cranked Marshall tones) than cleaner tones--in particular I usually tend toward AC30 tones because I have played an AC30 live for many years.

I have never purchased patches in the past, but I am thinking it might be a way to kick start me on the HD500, as I was hoping to try using it live before too long. I have watched some DeLaune Youtube videos showcasing some of his patches, to my ears over Youtube and cheap computer speakers they sound decent. So, I would welcome hearing any opinions on them from anyone who has purchased them.

scott58 and ColonelForbin like this.
  2. Jhatem81

Jhatem81 Member

he is a very good player so his patches will sound awesome. They sound really good on youtube but patches seem to never sound as good when i download them(probably beceause i dont play as good as Duane). I downloaded some Lincoln Brewster patches once because they sounded good on youtube...and they sounded terrible at home(i also dont play like Lincoln lol)

Scrapperz likes this.
  3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

They're good patches, but I can't get them to sound the same as the videos - there may be some post-processing on the demons, I don't know. The volumes from clean to dirty are also not well normalized on some of the patches.

mojah likes this.
  4. mojah

mojah Member

I had them when I had the pod. Never used any of them... YMMV.. He likes to put a chorus on one side of the split as I remember..

5. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I bought his Helix standard patches and used three of them a few days later for a four hour gig. I tweaked them a little bit by reducing gain and killing some of the delay (I was playing 60s and 70s rock). They worked great and I still use them as templates for creating my own patches.

-Max

Elantric likes this.
  6. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I bought his Helix Artist patches to see how someone else builds theirs.

Sonically, they're good. I agree he uses too much ambiance for my tastes, but that can be remedied easily, and he and I approach distortion a little differently.

But those are just differences in taste. Glenn definitely knows how to build patches, and you could get a lot of knowledge from not just downloading them, but studying how he gets what he gets.

That having been said, I have a bunch of HD500 patches on Custom Tone, with over 70,000 downloads. I thought they were pretty fine, and you might want to check them out for free before you spend any money.

7. leeislee

leeislee Member

I purchased Glenn's GT-100 patches to have a play through and they sounded nothing like the videos on my gear. That's not really Glenn's fault though, nothing will sound the same. He's a great guy and most of his patches sound great on his videos but in my experience they sounded nowhere near as good as my own patches.

Using other peoples patches and having to tweak them for your own gear means you may as well just make your own patches from scratch. Expecting to get a tone you love when it was made using other peoples gear, fingers, taste and ears will 9 times out of 10 fail to live up to your expectation.

Just my opinion though

Adsy, pomfret, vinceh and 1 other person like this.
  8. AtomicBlaze

AtomicBlaze Supporting Member

The Glenn DeLaune patches are a great starting point to work off of for me. I like to have a good tone to start with then tweak it to what I want. I was able to get some really killer tones mixing the GD patches with the 3 Sigma IRs with out much work at all. I really like the way he dials in the amps. For me its a big time saver.

Scrapperz likes this.
  9. CubanB

CubanB Member

Completely agree. Some people aren't that much of a fan of building/tweaking from scratch, fair enough.. but in the long term, no one will ever be able to do a better job of making a 'good patch' than you when it comes to tailoring it to your hands, pickups, neck, monitors, headphones etc etc. It's the difference between experienced vs being a noob. It's harder in the beginning but so is chords, scales, song writing, vibtrato etc etc. I think guitar is a constant learning, so it should already be familiar.

It's the same with guitar setup as well, especially setting relief and action and pickup height. The combination of these three and how they work together can be huge (similar to a pickup swap). Huge payoffs in the long run and then no one can do it better than you can, and when you do it, it's free.

Using others as a base though, can be a starting point to get ideas from. Same has having tech setup the guitar (and adjust from there) and also learning cover songs vs writing originals. Eventually though, with experience and veterancy, it's a natural evolution to do it all yourself. It also becomes quicker (because you become so good at it). And then eventually others might be able to use them as well, you might even be able to sell them.

But even the small amount of money wouldn't be the same reward.. as simply having patches (or a guitar's setup) that is 100% for you.

Guitardave and mattball826 like this.
  10. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Like any other presets, IR's and so on that I have purchased.... Many are great, some are probably more useful for others.

Seems a lot of people like the artist presets, but what I have enjoyed more from not just the presets, but the videos of how Glen uses them in a real live situation. If you watch his videos DO subscribe.

I'm not as big on artist presets though, and I find a lot of them are hard to translate to my rig without some big tweaking. Perhaps if we all used the same rigs this could be more easily accommodated, but we do not, so prepare for some work of your own. That said, as references presets can be great tools as you delve into the modeling experience.

11. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Some of those GT100 Tone Central artist "Live Sets" (collection of patches) are very good but, as you said, some seem to be completely incompatible with my rig. Still others make no sense to me at all -- probably because some important elements in the signal chain are missing. It would be very helpful if they provided some additional info on the full signal chain so, at a minimum, we could tell if they're using the internal preamp, running into the front end of an amp, into an effects return, etc. In some cases, that info is provided but other times it's not so obvious.

That's one very good thing about Glenn's patches -- he is good about describing how his patches were created and intended to be used. I appreciate that and it eliminates some of the head scratching that accompanies the Tone Central patches.

12. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Not a fan of Glenn D. or his patches.

thornie and fairness like this.
  13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

14. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

How do you really feel?

15. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

IMO, you really got to dig in and start making your own patches.

scott58 likes this.
  16. AtomicBlaze

AtomicBlaze Supporting Member

Some of his patches are actually really good once you tweak them to your rig, at least the Helix ones were for me. I really like them a lot because its stuff that I wouldn't have come up with on my own.

Scrapperz likes this.
  17. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I auditioned them on my friend's Helix... a couple are pretty sweet sounding.. a few of them not. I found them all much better for me after turning of all or most of the compressors he has going on. Glenn likes compression... this I know. Interesting that his Matchless patches sounded great in his clips and I so didnt' like them first hand. Horses for courses.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. glenndelune

glenndelune Member

Thank you guys so much for the kind words and your continued support.

19. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

After about 9 months of using the Helix in 4cm (successfully) with a Fuchs ODS, I finally got myself an FRFR, as it looks like the flexibility of going direct will be useful once in a while.

I have the Glenn Delaune Boutique patches and I have to say they sound really good. It's easy to add extra fx if needed, and I can imagine needing nothing more than one or two of them (Badger 35, Trainwreck Express) for an entire gig.

I'll be using 4cm for the next couple of weeks as it's all higher profile gigs where I don't want to be experimenting, but some time in June I'm hoping for a smaller situation where I can try the FRFR way of doing things on a gig (which is always the real test).

Just wanted to bring it up because I am pleasantly surprised how nice the Delaune patches sound.

20. Ron G

Ron G Member

I've bought patches from Glenn for the XTLive, Boss GT 10 and 100, HD500 in the past and now using several of his Helix presets. Just bought the boutique clean and high gain packages. I'm loving his Mesa Lone Star lately and will say the Trainwreck preset is a monster! I always have to tweak for my gear, that's understood, but the time saved and knowledge gained from seeing his designs far out weigh the costs. And he has always been helpful when needed. So sure, I'd recommend giving him a try.