Feedback on Music Man Albert Lee HH or MM90's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cookedbutok, Feb 17, 2012.

1. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Hey guys, I did a couple of searches on this guitar and not much came up. I just kinda wanted to get a few thoughts from some folks who may own one on how they like the guitar...any major flaws? favorite aspect?

And then, more specifically how versatile is the guitar for different genres, styles and lead vs. rhythm. If you have one, i'd love to see some pics as well!
    (Note: I'm not talking about the 3 single coil "strat" type, as I have that need covered)

Thanks in advance!

2. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

saturday morning cartoons feedback bump?

3. Amplite

Amplite Member

I have an HH model with the Roasted rosewood neck. It has a great vibe tho I found it on the dark side. So I replaced the very HOT pickups with DiMarzio 36th Anniversary set and it made it a lot clearer. The in between sounds 2 & 4 on the 5 way are pretty good (straty) and usable but there is a big drop in volume.
    I know some guys love the original pickups.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The HH has a solid RW neck not a roasted rosewood or maple. I almost bought one of these but had the 2XHB formula covered at the time. Tons of sounds, but on the darker side. The rosewood neck is a huge plus, both for the feel and the way it brings out the lower mids.
    I also have a SSS version with a solid RW neck. It's my Number One and has been done over with Suhr FLs and a Silent Singlecoil System. Amazing uberstrat.
    I also had a 3XMM90 version which is one of the most versatile guitars I've ever owned. Think huge fat singlecoil sound, almost Jazzmaster-like at times. Maple fretboard only folks, and I've been spoiled by the solid rosewoods.
    Join and post over at the EBMM forum www.music-man.com and you'll get tons of really good replies. Either guitar is a win-win.

5. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

I have a HH. Probably the best feeling neck I have tried so far.

6. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I had a chance to play one today and really fell in love with it. I think I might be hooked.

7. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I have an AL HH with a Roasted Maple neck. Yes these were offered in August 2010 when EB did the LE RM/Black Sugar finish run. A killer ax with a Mahogany body and the RM neck combo which takes off a little of the darkness you get with the RW neck. Same DiMarzzio pups that are used in the Axis and as Eric already stated a very versatile ax. I got into EBMM guitars about 7 years ago after being a Fender die hard my whole life and it was a smooth transition.I owned am EB EVH from back in the day and then continued with the Axis as my humbucker guitar. I always dug the retro 60's look of the AL but had no need for anymore single coil guitars. It was not until they came out with it in the HH configuration that I got a GAS attack. Funny how a few tweaks in the right places made a guitar that did not sell well a hot commodity! Hands down the best feeling neck on any EBMM guitar.

8. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

Very comfortable neck although it feels to me a bit smaller than most of my other guitars. Light, unusual Jetsons look - not your usual StratoPaul. Versatile useable sounds. I like mine.

9. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Who is using it for mainly lead or mainly rhythm?

10. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Hey straycat, I forgot about the Black Sugar Limiteds. I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison of the two at some point.
    Slightly off-topic, but one of the biggest things I love about the Albert Lee is the ergonomics. Hang one on a strap and everything falls into place exactly where it should be.

11. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Supporting Member

I owned a AL (3 sc version) and a Axis p90 at the same time . .
    Great guitars although the Axis as I recall was VERY heavy. Sounded heavenly though!

12. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

I have an AL with the P90s. Love it.
    I moved out my only Strat after recieving this.

[​IMG]