Feedback on Skype lessons

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by MOONEYZ, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MOONEYZ

MOONEYZ Member

I am considering some Skype lessons as we live in a remote area with only a couple of instructors. It would be nice to hear some pros and cons about this so I can choose the best type of lessons to consider as well as any concerns people have had with Skype lessons.
    Thanks.

2. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

It's a great way to connect with a distant teacher.

Some cons would be you can't play together and lack of physical adjustments.

3. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

ive done many skype lessons with many teachers and i think that it's really good

i would suggest finding someone whose playing you love a lot and learn from them. it's good to get a few teachers rather than just one as everyone approaches things differently

4. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I do Skype lessons with a teacher on the other side of the world.

It is a terrific way to access high quality teaching that is just not available locally.

Of course, there are the usual technological issues that you have to deal with. I've had to postpone a couple of lessons because internet speed was slow etc. or I was getting audio dropouts. No biggie really, as my teacher is really flexible about rescheduling.

The only thing I miss about it is that we cannot play along together because of the lag. I also thought that I wouldn't get much in the way of written down notes and charts etc. but in fact, my instructor is so well prepared that I get TONS of material via Skype transfer and email during and after the lesson.

Another bonus - I can record some lessons for later playback using Skype recording software - although the particular Skype recording software I currently have is unstable and tends to crash a bit! Grrr...

5. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

which software ya using? i have supertintin but it's been working against me lately

6. skypemusicteacher

skypemusicteacher Member

I would say most online music lessons are conducted over Skype at this point.

Just started an online resource for online music teachers to list their qualifications and offerings and for students looking for great online music lessons with a teacher that fits their needs and desires. The best part - it's all FREE! Have a look, feel free to email me with feedback!

www.skypemusicteachers.com