Feedback Question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by TheGuildedAge, Feb 5, 2012.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I need to add a preamp to my acoustic, which has a k&k pure western in it. I am mainly looking at the K&K pure and purel xlr preamps. It seems like the big difference is the pure has the phase switch for feedback. Is this an issue for me, is feedback something the house it supposed to fix.

The acoustic is only for duo stuff, so we don't play loud. In a full band setting I use my electrics.

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

The biggest difference is that the Pure XLR is a preamp/EQ/DI ... low impedance XLR output to run to a PA. I have (and prefer) the simple Pure preamp (1/4" TS output). No problem running to a PA over a short run (less than 25 feet, for example). Changing phase doesn't magically clear up feedback, it's just one thing of many, and certainly not nearly as important as proper gain structure, and stage positioning. For an acoustic duo, you shouldn't have any problem if you get the gain and positioning right.

When I really NEED to fight feedback, I could use my Baggs ParaDI. Not an ideal match for my K&K Pure Mini pickups, but can sound good enough for live band work ... this unit has phase switch AND (more importantly) excellent sweepable midrange and a nice tight notch filter. I've not had to resort to it yet, though.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

feedback is everybody's responsibility ;)

when the "house" consists of a distracted bartender occasionally tweaking a mackie mixer head, you'll appreciate having the tools to fix things yourself, especially with a more sensitive pickup like the K&K.

even then, a polarity-reverse switch is a 50/50 shot; either it will improve the feedback, or it will make it worse. you have to try both settings, go with the one that behaves best, and continue with other measures as necessary.

for my money, a parametric EQ is vital; there will usually be one big low-mid "hot zone" for contact pickups, so the ability to find and reduce it without killing the sound around it will fix feedback and give you a more balanced sound.

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Thanks everyone. I do have a feedback buster for the soundhole, one of those lutes, the wooden ones. I guess better safe than sorry though, so I should get a preamp that can help.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've found that soundhole plugs can actually be counter-productive with contact pickups and internal mics. the plug reduces the acoustic vibration, which reduces the pickup's output. you then have to turn up the gain to get back to where you were, bringing the feedback problem right back. they also change the tone the pickup creates, for the same reason.

under-saddle pickups get their energy from the strings directly, so plugging the hole doesn't change the amount of signal they put out.