Feeding your dog

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Not trying to turn this into a dog forum but since for so many here dogs are a big part of our lives I will ask this question.

What do you feed your dog ?

Dogs are carnivores and most of us grew up feeding our dogs terrible foods that may be the cause of the high rate of health problems more so than heredity issues ?

Getting a puppy soon and exploring the subject.

Don't want to invent the wheel and I'm afraid some compromise might have to be made. But store bought bagged food seems to be a disaster for dogs.

I think a vegetarian would have a very hard time feeding a dog what they really should be getting. lol.

check out "my pet carnivore" . for what some believe is the correct way to feed your dog. Eye opening.

The Raw Food diet approach anyone here doing this ?

2. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I give mine raw food as "snacks." His regular food is Diamond.

3. geoangus

geoangus Member

We have three dogs. Blue Buffalo kibble, Whole Earth Farms cans and a pound plus of beef organs (liver, heart or kidney) a day.

4. jbird

jbird Member

I like the Blue Buffalo products as well!

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Not that you shouldn't feed them the best you can, but aside from some breed genetics issues the biggest reason dogs have so many health problems is that lots and lots of domestic dogs are basically elderly animals. Dogs in their natural state have a life expectancy of maybe 5-7 years.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Our Chihuahua and Yorkie-Poo eat boiled chicken most of the time. A whole chicken lasts them about 4 days.

They also snack on cat food when they can get away with it.

7. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

Blue Buffalo "Life Protection Formula"

It's expensive as hell but hey, how can you not use it with a name like that ;)

8. Peeb

Peeb Member

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Almost no kibble. Can't recall the brand (he passed about 2 months ago) - it was all natural; brown rice and one other ingredient. It was something like $60 for a 15 pound bag, but I can not recall the name.

He then had either freshly ground sirloin, grilled sirloin steak, freshly roasted chicken breast or solid white albacore mixed in, depending on the day. Last couple months of his life, it was almost all paleo.

10. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Is there a study you are using for this ? Coyotes are said to have a 14 year life span. What is this group that makes up "dogs in their natural state "

Just curious where you came up with that statement.

11. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

My son's corgie was killed by the brown rice/chicken home-cooked diet. It was an internet-fad about 10 years ago.
    Too much protein for the breed's kidneys, according to the vet, and she died of renal failure at age 9 (too young).

As for kibble, I won't buy anything from Diamond-related companies... something in that company's makeup results in recalls of the products with an alarming (to me) frequency.

12. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My medium sized mutts (Shepard mix and Lab mix) both lived to over 16 years with no reportable issues eating Pedigree dry food every day. 2 cup in the morning, 1 at night.
    Our cat is still going strong at 17 with just Cat Chow indoor formula.
    I believe the consistency is a big part of the success.
    No people food, except maybe helping spot sweep or a bread heel once in a while.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

My GSD has done extremely well on Taste Of The Wild(2 cups in the morning, two in the evening) - we usually mix in some beef, pork, chicken, or fish - and some cooked potatos or rice with it... He also loves to snack on frozen green beans, and loves other veggies, too - lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc... We give him a little of most everything we eat, but he gets alot of exercise - and is in perfect health and weight - if that changes, we'll adjust accordingly...

IMO, feeding them high quality food pays off in smaller crap piles and reduced vet bills - it's worked that way for us, anyways...

- georgestrings

15. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Our 2nd Golden lived 13 1/2 years. We fed him an assortment of food over the years and way too much people food.

It seems to be a crap shoot with a dogs health but I want to do everything I can to improve the chances of a healthy life for our next dog.

Taking in all opinions and reading about it. "My Pet Carnivore" Raw Food Diet makes sense to me but is it practical ?

Check this out and give me your take on it.

http://skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

16. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I have had a few dogs, and the secret is getting a good dry food and don't over feed. Very little people food, and no grain, low fat , as all grain does is pass through. I think the raw thing is a little too, too. And if you never feed wet, they won't miss it. Once you do, it's all over. JMO

17. lennokez

lennokez Member

I've been making this for our dog recently just to see how it goes.
    She had been getting skin irritations and yeast infections in her ear,
    so we put her on this diet.
    We usually have most of these ingredients at home anyway.

3 kg beef mince (raw)
    4 diced lamb hearts or livers (raw)
    10 hard boiled eggs
    1 diced sweet potato (cooked)
    3 cup diced pumpkin (cooked)
    2.5 cups boiled white rice
    3 tbsp flax seed meal
    3 tbsp kelp powder
    2 tbsp of livinggreen powder (alfalfa, barley grass powder etc)
    Fish oil
    2 tsp tumeric
    salt

Blend egg shells well in blender with one raw egg and splash of water. Add to mix (calcium).
    I make the mix into meatballs and bake about a 1/3 of them, and leave the rest raw. Then I bag them individually and freeze them.

This mix feeds her for 5 weeks and costs about $1.00 per day.
    She is a 7 year old small dog and only eats once a day though.
    Her health has improved. Skin and ears have cleared up and she is much brighter. She has the energy of a puppy again.
    Kelp and grass powder adds iodine, vitamins, minerals, enzymes.
    Flax seed meal supplies oils, fatty acids, fibre.
    Tumeric is a natural antifungal, anti- inflammatory and antiseptic so I throw that in the mix also.
    I put the rice and vegies in to bulk up the mix and to add some fibre.
    She is way more into her food now. She loves the stuff raw or cooked.
    Doesn't take long to make.

18. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

We feed ours California Natural.

Dogs that live "inside" and that get regular vet visits tend to live longer than those that don't. You're more likely to notice bumps, lumps, limps, unusual stool and urine passing early on if you see the dog a lot every day. There's also a saying that a dog lives as long as their teeth are good--poor dental health is a gateway to all sorts of opportunistic infection.

Barring actual poison in the diet, I'd worry more about those factors for dog health.

19. 71strat

71strat Member

As someone else already stated.

It depends on the breed as to the Ratios of Protein Fat and Carbs also fiber. To much fiber and a dogs system doesn't do well on it.

Also it depends on the Breed and also Growth Stage.

I use a combination of Solid Gold Products. Salmon, Mackrel, Eggs, Raw Chicken, Raw Meat. Raw is Good. NO Raw eggs. Raw eggs Kill B Vitamins. If you want to use them runny Hard boil water and then put the egg(s) in for 15-20 seconds and it kills the chemical that kills the chemical that kills B Vitamins.

This also applies to humans.

Dinovite, Super Spectrum Bone Meal Supplement. Neptune Krill Oil and Fish Oil Supplements. Neptune has arguably the Best Krill and Fish Oil. I use only Neptune 8060 Fish Oil.

I also use Neptune.

20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Lamb and rice formula from Costco.