feeler gauges under the fret wire

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SamBooka, Feb 4, 2015.

1. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

So I have a neck that plays ok. (fender road worn maple neck/fingerboard) but since I just got it and actually started to set up the guitar the fret rockers were pointing to a couple of trouble spots (again, I didnt notice when I bought the guitar so nothing life threatening yet)

on about 7 of the frets I can fit a .002 feeler gauge under the fret. I tried pressing them in with a fret caul. I tried a good solid back with the fretting hammer.. the gap is still there

I am not sure I am comfortable with using CA because the only stuff i find round here isnt the water thin stuff..

At what point is close enough close enough?

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Hard to say... really what counts is the top of the frets. How far under can you get a feeler?

3. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

All the way to the tang.. one of them I can get a .004 in.

4. bunny

bunny Member

Don't use CA on maple fretboard, you'll end up with nasty greenish stains on maple!
    The best way to seat the frets in a cse like this is refretting, partial if possible.

5. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Is there any space for the tang to move down? I've seen frets bottomed out that way, and aside from that nit-picky little gap, they level, crown and play just fine.

6. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

well they dont seem to be bouncing back. My concerns are

a) is it stable?
    b) is gunk going to get under there in time and make it unstable?

I dont gig.. I dont plan to gig.. (never say never) and I havent gunked up a fingerboard since I was 16 but thinking long term.

I actually said fukit last night, i have only had the guitar 5 days. Since I had the neck off and i cant seat the frets better without pulling them I will wait and see. Straightened the neck.. levels all the frets and spot checked with a fret rocker and touched up a couple of spots. polished and put it back together (and took advantage of it being apart to lube the trod nut and change the tone pot and cap).

I have to say I dont know what happened but wow. the thing plays great. I was shocked.

SO .. wait and see .. if the thing stays stable for a year or two I will not worry about it (or worry about it when the time comes).