Feeling troubled...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gas Hed, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I just put an order in for an Axe Fx II and a Matrix power amp. I need to know...

2. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    ...how to tweak, discern the minutia of decrements on the knob and play Eruption.

Not so different from amps, really. I see you'll be using a power amp; presumably into a guitar cab? I prefer this over FRFR for live use.

3. Mikeishness

Mikeishness Member

Have a glass of wine. I do that when I'm feeling troubled...

4. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Yes - the plan is to run it into my 2 x 12 cab loaded with G12H30s. I'm very much looking forward to exploring the Axe - so much positive talk about it. YouTube clips are phenomenal. I'm troubled because I can't imagine if my world get's thrown upside down and I like it better than my traditional rig.

Change is good, right?

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Nah, not usually..... :)

6. SteveO

SteveO Member

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

It will do 9 out of 10 things better than your amp. It all depends on how important that 10th thing is to you.

Quick tip for guitar cab usage..... turn the power amp modeling off.

8. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

Why on earth would you do that? You should bypass or remove the cab block, but power amp modeling should be on if you're running into a neutral SS power amp. If you turn it off you're negating half the magic of the amp block.

9. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

This is why I need to know - I tried Line 6 back in 2004 and wasn't impressed. I've ignored modeling technology for all this time, but all the talk has me wondering. I want to find out. Best case scenario - I sell the Fractal. Worst case scenario - I like it more than my 6L6 baby and I have to go into counseling.

10. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Ok, got the Axe, got a Matrix GT800, ran them into my open back 2 x 12 with G12H30s. It sounds good, only using the presets, tweaked a few. But the sound is not as "powerful" as my 65 Amps Whiskey. Hmmm, I think I have my answer, not sure if using a FRFR speaker would make that much of a difference. Not sure if tweaking would make that much of a difference. I think a lot of it has to do with how the 65 performs, big amp sounds. At any rate, back to my GAS for tube amps.

11. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I did the Axe...then to Kemper.

You have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you but in my case it was as exciting as it was challenging.

Will you love it more than your tube amp rig? That depends on how much time you put into custom tailoring things to your satisfaction

Mikeishness is also correct!

One thing I can add is that initially you will say WTF did I buy this crap for?

And as you dig in you start to go aaaaaah I see. At least I did. Be patient . Give it a fair shake. You need to be prepared for hearing things a bit "differently"

** Perhaps Jason meant "turn the cab modeling off"*** ????

12. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Well, I had a beer, that helped :)

It does make me think that I should spend more time with it. Return policy is expiring soon though. I'm just not sure I want to go down the path of chasing the right power amp or active cabs. I will likely go FX8 with my tube rig and do some dirt pedal experimenting to get different voicings.

The one thing that is true in my case is I found a tube amp that has a thick/percussive/dynamic attack that most of the other tube amps I have (or had) in the past don't have. That plays a role in all of this. I like that sound a lot. When I compare the Axe sound to some of my "regular" tube amps, it matches up very well, or better.

13. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

It happened to me. Now I'll dial in an Axe-Fx amp and love the sound and feel and say, "Boy, it'd be cool to own the real version of this." So I go to the store and check it out...instant let down.

It's that good. I still have some amps that I'd maybe like to own some day, but when I start feeling that way I just crank up the Axe and my GAS subsides.

Edit: Didn't see your post about not quite getting along with it yet. If you need help, PM away.

14. tochiro

tochiro Member

There's simply nothing like a real tube amp roaring behind you.