Feelings about Fender SCN pickups?

vikingrat

I like the options i get with mine but when playing clean it's kind of lacking to me. Any other players have that same issue with these pu's?

Marty DiBergi

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have an AmDlx strat that was a very good guitar. The SCNs can be tricky to dial in. Their height has a lot to do with how they end up sounding. Try to find a sweet spot.

To me, the sweet spot sounded great and they were at their best to my ears but they are what they are. They are stratty, but they are not "vintage" sounding. They form a piece of the overall "modern" strat motif.

I sold the guitar, but it wasn't because of the pups.

vikingrat

I used to have an AmDlx strat that was a very good guitar. The SCNs can be tricky to dial in. Their height has a lot to do with how they end up sounding. Try to find a sweet spot.

To me, the sweet spot sounded great and they were at their best to my ears but they are what they are. They are stratty, but they are not "vintage" sounding. They form a piece of the overall "modern" strat motif.

I sold the guitar, but it wasn't because of the pups.
Thanks dude. I just really started to play the guitar more at lower volumes and it's making me nuts. I will try some adjustment.

I like the SCN's on my American Deluxe strat...

I had no expectations of a truly "vintage" tone from stacked humbuckers... but the tones are useful for my needs, and actually sound great with a bit of drive... and of course, the "noiseless" part has been great for recording and play in noisy electrical situations, (small clubs) that I often play.

I suppose I could experiment with DiMarzio Area's or Kinman's or something... but the SCN's aren't crying out for that change.

I do LIKE vintage strat tones, and I picked up a Classic Vibe 60's strat just to give me those tones.

:D

M

vikingrat

I like the SCN's on my American Deluxe strat...

I had no expectations of a truly "vintage" tone from stacked humbuckers... but the tones are useful for my needs, and actually sound great with a bit of drive... and of course, the "noiseless" part has been great for recording and play in noisy electrical situations, (small clubs) that I often play.

I suppose I could experiment with DiMarzio Area's or Kinman's or something... but the SCN's aren't crying out for that change.

I do LIKE vintage strat tones, and I picked up a Classic Vibe 60's strat just to give me those tones.

:D

M
I think my problem is i want both in one guitar.

dodona

I am very happy with the SCN. Yes they sound somewhat different, however basically its still a vintage tone without any hum and without stratitis. I'll never go back to my vintage Fenders again-

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
I owned some AM Dlx strats with the SCNs a few years ago and I liked them a lot. I don't know if they sounded vintage or not nor whether it mattered...they just sounded very good. I liked the S-1 switching and contoured heel, too. All around excellent guitar, IMO.

straycat113

I have had a Strat with every type of noiseless from Vintage-Clapton, Hot-Beck and the SCB's in my 09 Deluxe and I love them all. Yes they are not a true single coil and if you want dead vintage tones you will fall short, but it is worth it to me in the long run and if you tweak I think a lot of guys will be surprised at just how much you can do with them. I always hated 60 cycle hum and so does 95% of guys who use single coils if they want to admit it or not, or Fender would not have been working the last 25 years on trying to get rid of it. You are never going to sway the purest but then again if they are good enough for Clapton and Beck that should say enough, though sometimes I dont know what EC is actually using but I know Beck only uses the noiseless pups that Suhr made for him.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
Not a fan. I have an '08 Am Dlx Strat with SCNs. It just didn't sound right. Pulled them and gutted the electronics. Put in an RS kit with Fralin Vintage hots and I LOVE the tone from this guitar now.

Trending Topics