Feelings on Catalinbread Silver Kiss OD & Durham Crazy Horse fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Jul 12, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I'm taking a hard look at the Silver Kiss and the Crazy Horse. they both seem pretty awesome but I don't think i've seen a lot of talk about them around here (not since I joined, anyway)

the harmony central reviews aren't really that stellar for either but they sure sound good to my ears.

anybody?

2. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

Hey Newark,
    For what it's worth, I think that the Silver Kiss is Catalinbread's most underrated pedal.

3. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

thanks man, i do appreciate it :BEER

4. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Ohnoes! Underrated!? I sorta think so too. :tapedshut That said I do want to check out the Crazy Horse, since I already have an SK. ;) Durham guy(s) from my encounters are top notch, that makes me want to reserve one of my spots on my pedal board for their wares!

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

for whatever reason, both pedals really caught me last night. i bought the SK and will probably pick up the CH sometime soon. Oh, and I'm bidding on a Sex Drive and a Sellano Picoso on ebay.... you guys will be the end of me! and god bless you for it :roll

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I've had a CH for a week now. I bought it used here on TGP.
    I'll need more time to settle with it, as it has a lot of features.

My first observations would be :
    1. The drive-on its own- is a bit agressive/harsh for MY taste. Maybe some other folk would call it "modern sounding"
    2. The fuzz is very nice and most of the time I use it on its own. Only adding a bit of drive (9.00) when I want to puss the overall sound and bring it up front.
    3. The pedal is indeed noisy, but I REALLY like it. After all, considering which sound it's supposed to go for, it had to be that way. Very unique quality. No other pedal that I've used has it and I enjoy it. When the fuzz knob goes beyond 3.00 this is more than audible!
    4. The volt knob is also unique and nice to have.
    5. The pedal can provide lots of volume if someone needs it. It's one of those pedals that when playing at home, the volume knob doesn't go upper than 9.00.
    Overall, I like it and think it's versatile. Apart from the Neil Young sound, someone may use it as "regular" fuzz.
    It's a bit pricey though. I suggest that you find a used one here at the emporium as I did.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I have/had both.

I won't comment on the SK for fear of being 'spammy'.

The Crazy Horse is a great pedal, IMO. Check out proguitarshop.com video for a VERY thorough and accurate demo of what the CH is all about. If you like silicon fuzzes I think you'll like the CH. It is really versatile - can do a nice gritty low/med gain OD, full-on rock distortion, and balls out sonic mayhem. Its a quality sounding pedal and Alan certainly put a lot of thought into the design and playability. I don't think it is over-priced or too expensive considering how much pedal you get for your money.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

thanks for the info folks!

9. Burgs

Burgs Member

I'm with you Aaron (and g'day from Oz. Your videos have had tremendous influence down here too. :) Thank you).

Silver Kiss:
    I'd use the word 'unsung.' IMHO it's only a matter of time before the SK is acknowledged for being the marvel that it is and is hoisted to the same heights as the other 'great' OD's. Apart from the SK's great transparent drive (I'm never sure about that word 'transparent' but it does seem to fit in this case) you can do a whole lot with its EQ. A future classic?

There you go erksin, spam taken care of. :D:hide

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008