Feels like I just “fixed” my DGT

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pax, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Bought a PRS DGT from the emporium a month ago. Didn’t feel much like the ones I’ve played in stores. I was sure it was a great guitar and had no problem with the purchase regarding quality, but couldn’t figure out what was missing. Then I remembered it came with 10s.

No, no, no. :nono

Factory specs have the DGT with 11s. Put some 11s on it and…wow! New guitar. It’s like everything just came into balance. Beautiful thing.

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Yep.....it really does need that extra neck tension, yet it doesn't feel like you're playing 11's at all!

3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Yes, I agree. I don't own one, but the larger frets demand 11's. 10's don't feel right on these at all, IMO.

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

5. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

Bought my DGT used, with 10s. They were fine. Later changed to, and stayed with 11's. Big bass thump, excellent clarity. Needed a little adjustment. Works fine with either gauge. My EJ strat was regretted with 6100 frets (like DGT) years ago, and I've used 10's on that one for years. Use whatever feels and sounds right for you. Enjoy!

6. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

They ship with 11-49, a tad lighter on the low end than the typical 11-52 set.

7. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

I agree. They're not hard to play. I still have 10s on my strat. I played both back-to-back and while the difference was noticable, it wasn't an issue at all. Doesn't mean the DGT won't play well with 10s (when it's properly set up for 10s), but 11s just seem to work better in my case.

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Hmmmm....

Been playing very "slinky/sloppy" strats for the past five years, so some of this may be me getting used to a different feeling axe..

Bought a used DGT as well, came with 11's. It was very stiff feeling, needed new strings, so I threw a set of 10's on there. After tweeking the claw to get the trem to float, dang thing still feels stiff!! May need to adjust the truss.

It's an amazing axe otherwise, I am getting used to the bigger frets and stiffer feel. Tone and versatility are off the charts though...

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

yep gauge matters. i snapped my 11 string, so i slapped a 10 on there. big mistake, now the feel is all out of whack on my guitar.

10. David Garner

David Garner Member

Mine played fine with 11s, but my Strat and Tele have 9s so I put 9.5s on the DGT and with a slight truss rod adjustment, it plays like butter.

I think it's fine if you like 11s, but I do not at all buy that the guitar "needs" them or you somehow mess it up by going lighter. I also have lights on my Taylor GS, so I tend to break such "rules" as a matter of course. YMMV.

11. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I too put 9.5's on mine and love it now! Sounds great and plays great.

It all comes down to what makes you feel more comfortable on a particular guitar. I am sure that there are DGTs out there that I would prefer with 10's or higher...mine asked for 9.5's.........

12. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I also put 10s on mine after playing for a few weeks with the 11s. With a few adjustments, it plays great with the 10s. And I didn't notice any change in tone because of the gauge change. I've got recordings both with the 11s and with the 10s, and the guitar sounds the same. But my playing sounds better with the 10s, so that's what I'll stay with. With the tall frets, the 10s bend like 9s. It's just an awesome guitar.

13. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Besides the fact that the DGT is set up for 0.11s, it also needs them to sound close to a good Les Paul. Nothing replaces "mass". If you don't have it in the body, you need it in terms of string gauge. A DGT does not get close sonically to a Les Paul just with .10 strings.
    Rene

14. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

Says Nigel Tufnel!

15. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

This was not my experience. My DGT does just as good a Les Paul imitation with 10s as it did with 11s. I was expecting the tone to change, and fully ready to go back to 11s if it did. But I did not hear a change, and neither did my multi-track. The DGT does not "need" 11s to be a fantastic guitar.

16. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I just today got my DGT back from the shop (it lost a saddle adjustment screw at Saturday's gig). While it was in there I had it set up for 10-52's (a little neck adjustment, a tweak to the trem and some nut slot work) and it plays and sounds fantastic.

17. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    WHOA. I got 9s on mine, and this is making me feel like I'm missing something here. I know DGh wanted big frets and big strings, but I may have to rethink my next string order.

Desert island guitar.

18. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

I think it depends on your amp rig as much as anything. I play non-master volume amps with very little gain, so the 11s make a big difference on driving the front end of the amp and gives quite a bit bigger tone. Same with my other guitars. If you are playing a higher gain amp, doesn't surprise me if you don't hear a difference.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  19. Jedi

Jedi Member

Tried .010s on mine but went right back to .011s.

20. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Low gainer, with a master...

I'm sticking with 10's until I can get used to it better. Still kinda learning my way with it, getting the hang of it, but man I miss the original 5 way switch. Not easy to go from full bridge to split neck, for example...