1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Fell Asleep. Amp on 'Standby' for 8hrs. NOW...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Jul 14, 2020.

1. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Traynor CYS90 combo ("The Canadian Marshall")

I turned it (and all pedals) off. I waited a while. Turned it back on. I could swear I'm not getting as much Volume as usual as I'm dialing the MasterVolume.

It's too early for my heart to sink, not enough coffee.

I never play this early, maybe my ears haven't woken up?

Have I fried everything?

diego likes this.
  2. JK1965

JK1965 Member

It should be fine. Amps aren’t that fragile. I’ve left mine on or on standby for 10-12 hours and it was never an issue.

3. jblake

jblake Member

My Twin Reverb pretty much stayed on or on standby for months (maybe even a year), with no ill effects. You may be paranoid.

4. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

The only thing active when an amp is on Standby is the tube heater supply and bias supply. High voltage is turned off.

eddie knuckles, jturner, DiPa and 2 others like this.
  5. Kelly

Kelly Member

You do know all tvs and radios and jukeboxes used to be tube powered? Leaving them pn doesn't hurt them.

stratadp likes this.
  6. myke232

myke232 Member

8 hours is nothing...

7. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Dang, that's a long time to sleep.

:hide2

:D

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

As mentioned, much of tube gear is powered up for days at a time. Think about radio transmitters-maybe running flat out at thousands of volts day after day. Or the PA system at Woodstock-all tube powered and running for days on end. Now think about how much LESS stress there is on everything with just the heaters on-can't hurt the OT, or really anything else. If you had a tube about to go, maybe, but you only hastened its death a tiny bit. Relax and play your guitar!

Abram4235, DiPa and abby_normal like this.
  9. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Supporting Member

Seriously, just how hard were you playing that guitar!?!

10. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Pretty sure space shuttles and other NASA equipment equipped with tubes ran longer than 8 hours at a time too...

MaxTwang likes this.
  11. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

@jblake slept for several months; waking up to a pandemic, riots and an amp that was still turned on.

Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday

:rockin

risto, mr.Brown, BlueSkyy and 20 others like this.
  12. jblake

jblake Member

Just call me Rip Van Wanker.

13. magilla

magilla michaelggguitar (IG) Gold Supporting Member

Done this before. Hell, I've left amps "ON" overnight. Definitely an "oh, chit" moment when I woke up to see the familiar but concerning glow of a jewel light coming from the amp. No damage done whatsoever.

You may have coincidentally hit a point of decline in any one of the tubes, but that would most likely be the "most" damage done, and that's a minor thing. Bonus points for cathode bias amps where you can just toss another power tube in, no bias required.

Not as concerning as the multiple times I've played "mix and match" with a pile of combos and cabs and speakers and you get no sound and it takes you a minute to realize its not because you left your tuning pedal engaged, but because you haven't hooked any speaker load up to the 60s Fender you've been playing silently for a couple minutes. But all those have ended up fine, too. Robust things, I'm sure the Traynor is, too.

strumminsix and gulliver like this.
  14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I have all my gear plugged into a power strip. I have a very ADD process for turning everything off, with the power conditioner last.

I have at one point left the standby on my Reeves Custom 50 overnight, before my process. No damage, but the top was quite hot.

I'd' imagine letting it cool off would solve any issues.

15. Rayf

Rayf Member

Think of all the backline amps used in outdoor festivals. Those things are on or in standby all day long.

Abram4235, SimAlex, cam0122 and 2 others like this.
  16. RobDaglish

RobDaglish Member

Yeah, obviously doesn’t have kids or a dog. I’m prepared to send mine, no charge...

17. JPH118

JPH118 Member

It’s most likely fine... if the power transformer couldn’t handle supplying heater voltage for that length of time, you wouldn’t be getting anything at all from it now.

tfblaster, SimAlex, cam0122 and 2 others like this.
  18. npappas

npappas Member

Left my YBA-1a on for 24 hours the other day. It's still fine. The only thing that'll hurt is your electric bill. ;)

SimAlex, gulliver and abby_normal like this.
  19. Coiled

Coiled Member

20. y2d

y2d Member

Consider yourself blessed you did not reach 9 hours. OP have you seen the Lost episode where John Locke does not push the button to reset the timer in the hatch?