Fell in love! '69 Fender CS Relic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rhinocaster, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

2 weeks ago I tried a Fender CS '69 Relic and ended up with a big ol' crush on the thing. I went back today and the crush has turned to full on LOVE!!

Olympic white, light relic, rosewood board, funky tuners and what I suspect are Abigail Ybara pickups. The guitar badly needs a setup, but even with that it just rips! Throaty in the neck but with great definition. The middle pickup is strong and would be great for rhythm. The bridge pickup is icepicky, but with a great weight behind each note. The volume and tone controls are super musical.

The guitar has a super tight neck pocket and the rest of the guitar shows a very high attention to detail. I'd say it's mid to high 7 pound range.

It's been a long time since I had to have a Strat, but I'm guessing that it will be home before the day is out!!

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Awesome. I love my '69. Big heads rule! now go get it!

3. dave s

dave s Member

I have two of the '69 Heavy Relics. Both have Fat 50s pickups. Both are incredible guitars!

Really digging the 'oversized' headstocks!

dave

4. rhinocaster

Did you change the pickups to the Fat 50's? I had a set of those in a Gregg Rogers guitar and thought that they were fantastic, but the '69 pickups are blowing my mind!

5. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I have one of the custom shop 69 heavy relic strats in vintage white with maple neck I got from www.drumcityguitarland.com I love this guitar. I feel I am back in the Woodstock era and everyone that was cool is still alive!:JAM:hiP

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

ummm... where are the pics???

7. rhinocaster

If I pick the guitar up I'll be sure to post some shots. Not much to see, a little white paint, a little rosewood, a little rust. You know.;)

8. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

What do you mean by funky tuners?? I recently picked up a 60's time machine relic strat in fiesta. It is used and has some vintage style locking staggered post tuners with no string tree. I feel that these are not stock so I'm just wondering what type your describing.

9. rhinocaster

I'm used to the old Kluson style, and this guitar has the squared off tuners that I think of more with early 70's guitars. They're squarish and dished and not nearly as comfortable as the older disc shaped tuner heads.

10. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Thanks- I know what type your talking about now. These guitars are fantastic imo. I did'nt know what everyone was talking about with the CS versions. Now I do. Love the light relic on mine. Enjoy!

11. dave s

dave s Member

Haven't changed them. Have to admit, they were a bit 'different' when I got the first copy, but they kind of grow on you, I guess!

dave

12. rhinocaster

I guess that I'm just confused with the Fat 50's in your guitars. I know that the '69 now uses special '69 custom shop pickups. Maybe they just used Fat 50's with the initial run. The 50's are some of my favorite Strat pickups, but I'm hearing a whole 'nother world with with pickups in the '69.

It's nice to come across a guitar where you don't want to change a thing!