Fell in love with a strat today...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nashvillesteve, Jul 22, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've been kinda wanting a great strat... maple fingerboard and 2 tone burst, classic style...

I sort of suspected that these would be my findings before I trekked a couple of minutes from work to the shop today:

-MIM Fender JV Tex-Mex Strat: not bad, I liked the neck shape but not the feel of the nitrocellulose neck... the pickups were OK, but I probably couldn't tell too much from the '57 RI Fender Twin with the volume on about .5 on the bright channel... not a bad guitar at all, but I wouldn't play it at all if it were sitting next to my PRS... next!

-USA Fender Mark Knopfler sig. Strat: much better, great pickups and improved neck feel. I really am only looking for a maple board strat, but love Knopfler so I had to try it. A really nice guitar, the guy in the store (who is a really nice guy and pro- great player) said he thinks it was the best sounding Strat in the store. Close, but I didn't like it quite as much as the...

-G&L Legacy Strat with maple board and sunburst finish (dream combo!):
    Yes, this was it, a great feeling guitar (neck finish was 100% better feeling and poly gets softer moreso than nitro, right?). This was really *the* strat I had been envisioning from the looks and feel. It felt great and I have already concluded that this is the guitar I want to purchase... I know there is plenty of good reason not to hang strats in the shops with the vibrato arms attached (tuning disasters just waiting to happen!), but I would really like to try the 2-bolt vibrato bridge... The pickups possibly had a better sound in the Knopfler, but that is not of primary concern since there are so many great aftermarket pickups for these guitars... the actual instrument is JUST what I want!

The sticker price was $1200, I wonder if they'd come down to $1000? I have a '74 Martin D-12-20 that has some scratches on the face and needs the tuners replaced (a couple have oxidized/eroded apart)... I paid $1000 for it; if it were in better shape I might be able to get close to that, maybe $750 for it as it is now (probably less if I were trading it in, right?)...

What do these G&L Legacy guitars with the maple boards and burst finish go for used? Any ballpark estimates? I was open to trying the MIM Strats just because, but I don't think I want to invest in an instrument that is not pretty much on par with my PRS McCarty Rosewood (it wouldn't be really fair to compare a $600 guitar with a $2200 guitar, would it?)... Strats are less expensive to produce than a carved top/set neck guitar, so I think the G&L's quality (fantastic) is comparable to that I have grown accustomed to with the PRS.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

-Steve

2. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Try calling the ph # on the link supplied and see what their used GL Legacy inventory is. These guys have been great for me, but, since they're local, I also had a chance to play the instruments and dicker face-to-face (scored a new custom-order Tom Anderson contoured hollow T for $1625 when they were Anderson dealers, and a new Nat'l-Resophonic polychrome steel tricone resonator for $1565, as well as one of the new nickel plate cutaway tricones, which are VERY thin on the ground at the moment). They DO have a national rep as authoritative and stand-up as well:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/

Also. I see that Elderly Instruments have a '90s Legacy in "xlnt" condition for $625 (RW neck though), and Elderly is likewise quite reputable. I've had friends who've bought used guitars that were very happy with promptness, honesty of the description/condition, packing/shipping. AND set-up (I played a used Tele sent to one of my colleagues that FELT amazing---"buttah" for sure, remarkable for a Tele): http://www.elderly.com/brand/30U_other.html

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, I found a George Fullerton Signature model "new" on the net for $750, I might call them and ask them if they will trade me for my Martin... How can that price be?

"BRAND NEW G&L GEORGE FULLERTON SIGNATURE
    Classic Tobacco burst finish. Made in Fullerton California by hand. Guitar has 3 G&L Vintage alnico single coil p/u's. Maple fingerboard, white pickguard, 6/side tuners, 5 position switch, standard vibrato. List is $1595.
    Our Price $750."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to go the G&L website and try to see what the differences between the Fullerton and Legacy models are... if they're close at all, it sounds OK to me....

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

OK, is this a no-brainer? Should I try and score this upon waking up in the morning? I think I should, please un-convince me if I'm wrong...

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Argg!!!!!! I just tried to send an email to the owner from his website, and it came back as permanently failed! What's worse is that the website is a Tripod page with no other contact info and no way to tell when it was last updated!!!! Does anybody know Jack Russell (not from Great White!) who was a studio musician in the 50s & 60s at Cameo-Parkway? The website with the guitar is his, it is at http://guitarjam.tripod.com/theguitars.html ... Can anybody help me or is this just a taunting impossibility of me getting one of these great guitars at about the price that my busted 74 Martin 12 string is worth right now? I suppose there is the possibility that the page is really old and not updated at all anymore and this guitar is not even available... any ideas?

6. TS808

TS808 Member

I don't think there is any difference other than Fullerton's signature on it. These are great guitars; anything from G&L is. If you are thinking of paying around $750-1000, also take a look at the Fender American series. I own two (one in 3-tone sunburst with maple) and love the workmanship and the sound of the guitar. The neck just feels great and is smooth as silk. The Legacy has a 12" radius whereas the Fender American series has a 9.5" radius like the JV, with a thinner neck.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The 12" radius felt really nice to me, I think that's what I want... Unfortunately, it appears this score is D.O.A.... dead email, no other contact info... Jack, if you're reading......

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Don't give up on the JV Strat! They are quite sensitive to pickup height settings and, IMO, they generally sound a little too crisp out of the box. After a good setup the way I like it, I consider my JV to be one of the best Strats I've ever played in 40 years at this stuff.

G&L's are great guitars too....but they just aren't a good fit for me.

Good luck in the Strat-o-quest ;).

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

You should be able to find a new legacy in the $950 to 1050 range easily. I would go to the shop and offer them $1000. I can give you another website offline, where I bought my S500 recently if you'd like it, but Buffalo Brothers is great too and will give you a better price than your local shop is giving you. I support buying local ALWAYS, unless they won't budge on the price.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Buying on the net would save me about $92.50-$111 in taxes on a new Legacy, which I can't afford not to do (TN is ridiculous- 9.25%!!!)... I will call BB, thanks!

I will find me one, I must investigate unloading my Martin D-12-20 for G&L $$$ (see the Acoustic Instruments forum if you want to help with that- thanks again!)...

11. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Nashvillesteve -

How in the world did you confuse the nasty thick poly on the JV strat for nitrocellulose? That is definitely poly on the JV, and you're right, the pickups aren't very good. As for feel, I don't think a poly neck well ever start feeling much different, its just too durable. Nitro, is the finish that will feel wonderful in time, though it can be a bit sticky at first.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The Fullerton comes with the "V" neck and I believe, vintage frets. Both models are a 12" radius but the Legacy is more of a "C" shape and med. jumbo frets.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I think the George Fullerton Signature is 7.5" radius, no?

G&L's make a nice strat. The weights can get close to 9lbs and the neck carves can vary. But get a good one and you'll never think clone.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm 99% sure the Fullerton is the V neck, which would make it 12" radius. I'd have to go into the office to check for sure. I know they don't offer the V in 7.5".

I also believe it has vintage frets, not jumbo.

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm so glad to hear about the Mark Knopfler strat. The reviews I've read have been very mixed with many not thinking much of this strat. I really want one. I just ordered the US Vintage 70s model-------one you may consider since you like the maple board. Still not giving up on the knopfler strat. Tell me more about it. I hear the wood and pups are not a good fit.

16. TS808

TS808 Member

They were certainly a good fit for Knopfler. I'm not being sarcastic, just pointing out that some may not like it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good guitar. It might be the right guitar for you, and perhaps not, but the point is if looking for a strat, try different ones out. No 2 strats sound alike. ;)

17. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

If you're in Nashville, then IMHO you're doing yourself a big disservice if you don't try at least 15 or so Strats before deciding. There must be hundreds sitting in stores in that town.

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I"m just repeating what I've read one or maybe two reviewers say about the Knopfler. On paper it is a great guitar. I"ve talked with several dealers who just were not happy with it. I may still get one one day. I like the slim neck with big frets. The color is cool too.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It wasn't as great a guitar as the G&L for $100 less... I will get a burst/maple legacy, but not anytime soon because I can't sell my old Martin... doh!

20. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I just got my american vintage 70s strat natural with maple board. Man this guitar is one of the best Fenders I've owned. The pups are great.