Felt Disks for Amp Head Feet

rmg471

Hey all,

I recently got a Mesa Boogie head that came with (from the factory) 4 felt disks to put on the feet of the amp head. When I looked these up on Mesa Boogie's website, it says "Felt Disk - placed between an amplifier and cabinet to prevent impressions from the amplifier on the cabinet."

Do you guys ever put felt on the bottom of your amp head's feet? I don't recall having ever seen these before. Are they even necessary? I don't know what kind of "impressions" they're referring to, unless they're referring to some sort of staining, but wouldn't you have to get your amp feet nasty/dirty for it to leave a mark on your cabinet?

https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/felt-disks-for-amplifier-feet-424600.html

Thanks,

Ryan

It depends on the weight of the amp and the feet on it. I have heads that weigh 20 lbs and aren't putting indentations on anything. But a 100W head with hard feet on the bottom? Sure, it's possible.

Mind you, this is more for home players that are leaving heads on the top of a cabinet more or less indefinitely. No-one I know is bringing felt discs around to gigs with them to prevent indentations on their cabinet.

rmg471

Interesting. I didn't know these existed until they showed up with my head. The feet on my head are black and the cab is black, so maybe it's not as big of a deal in that scenario. I'll use them when the amp is at home, just to be safe.

Quad4

They harmonically decouple the mass of the head allowing the cab tonewoods to fully resonate. It's both a feel and a tone thing.

Wait for it ....

:rimshot

vintage66

Wouldn’t that make it easier to accidentally knock it off the cab because of reduced friction? Marshall solved this by the rubber skid pads on their cabs. Rubber feet would be great. Felt seems like a not so great idea to me.

Interesting. I didn't know these existed until they showed up with my head. The feet on my head are black and the cab is black, so maybe it's not as big of a deal in that scenario. I'll use them when the amp is at home, just to be safe.
They’ve existed for many years; at the hardware store, sold as furniture pads. Though relabeling them as amp pads is probably a relatively new thing.

esowden

Have you seen or experienced any particular brands have issues?
Have no idea what the names of the different tolex brands are but having owned several different heads and cabs over the years, I've experienced the denting. For example, my Avatar cabs dent but my Mojotone cabs don't. It is what it is. Other than the denting - don't know that any one is more durable than the other. I've always had the attitude that it was all a part of owning a piece of equipment. Things get scratched, chipped, dented, torn, etc., even when kept at home - it doesn't affect tone or longevity. I call it character.

Trending Topics