Female tune selection help:

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Banditt, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Okay, stumbled across a young lady with a boat-load of singing talent, old-school throwback voice...loves Etta James, Patsy Cline, , Aretha, etc...her moma raised her right! She does like some new pop stuff like Adele and some Fergie, but has no idea how good she is yet.

I can really appreciate the old stuff, and motown, Sam and Dave, and she can reallty pull that stuff off. I'm giving her stuff to listen to that might funky/rock/blues her up, or at least give her more options that might get her interest. I'm a blues/rock guitar player and locally is a very good blues scene...she also would be great for the winery, wedding circuit I think.

Think Bonnie Raitt "Love letter", Joan Osbourne's "right hand man", Sheryl Crow's "favorite mistake", Susan Tedeschi's " Bit by bit", with a touch of Sade, Adele, Norah Jones vibe.

Help, help, give me more. I'm going to give her some Joe Cocker, Delbert McClinton, Faces era Rod Stewart, etc. but looking for a "bridge" in between the two worlds or other artists that I don't know that fit her AND my styles.

Thanks in advance...first time working with female singer/keys!

2. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

you and me are in the same boat. found a 20 year old waitress/bartender at local cajun place just tearing it up at a karoake night. I mean this little thing can absolutely wail, but you know what she likes to sing? Nightwish. Which is really great, and amazingly hard to pull off, which she does in spades, but that music here? Not even gonna be able to book a group around here that does that stuff..locally "new country" is where it's at, and she could sing ANY of that drivel easy for a great payday, as she is very cute, very blonde, and knows she can do it. But do you think she has the least bit of interest in doing this? Of course not. It is very sad. Trying to convince her that later on after she makes the $$$, then she can sing "Nightwish" all she wants..but I keep trying. I could put together 4 or 5 guys that could do the look, and provide a great backline for her, and they could work 3-4 nights a week, and make DAMN good money, at least by todays standards, but she is not "seeing the light" so to speak.

Good luck in your endeavors sir!

3. dburns

dburns Member

My band has a female singer too. We do plenty of songs originally sung by men, but here's a list of just a few female singer songs that we do...

Son of a Preacher Man
    Piece of My Heart
    Black Velvet
    I'm the Only One
    Give Me One Reason
    Criminal (Fiona Apple)

We do newer stuff too, Katy Perry, Pink, Beyoncé (XO), Adele, Lorde., etc. Also working on adding Rufus/Chaka Kahn into the set (Tell Me Something Good, Sweet Thing).

Some Black Crowes (Remedy, Hard to Handle) and Kings of Leon (Sex on Fire, Use Somebody) works well for us too. Since you're a blues/rock guy maybe it could work for you also. Bill Withers Use Me? Just throwing things out there.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Whatever you do, try to get material she's into too and feels. I found a wonderful female vocalist singing Karaoke like a few of you guys, but she'd never ever been in a band. She was so used to reading lyrics off a screen, she actually couldn't remember song lyrics.

I spent over a year working with her, me and an acoustic guitar, finding songs that she could not only sing.....but truely felt and remembered. When she finally joined us all, she turned the band into something special.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You've already picked some good names there as a bridge between old soul and more modern singers. I'd add Melissa Etheridge and Grace Potter to the list too.

I'd encourage you to find and adapt to some new music as well as exposing her to the oldies.

7. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

^^^^^Couldn't agree more. I've been down this road and if you've got a younger singer, there's a good chance she's going to relate to current "retro" songs more than the classics. Keep an eye on this, you'd notice this by the energy level she brings to the performance. She may also have younger friends and may eventually want to play in venues that cater to a younger audience vs. the suburban sports bars.

With that in mind here are a few newer tunes:

8. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

Used to play in a band with a female singer fitting the OP description. If she's got the power and range, here's a couple we used to do.

9. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

well shoot, id give my left two lugnuts to find a hot blonde who wanted to sing Nightwish. haha

10. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member