• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Female Vocalist Mic?

I've been looking at different mics for the female voice. I'm not wanting to break the bank here. I've been reading on the Audio Technica AT4040 or 4047, Shure SM7B and a few others.

This mic will mainly be used by my wife. She doesn't have what one would call a gritty or raspy voice.

Strictly going by voice and not style of music, she sounds more lite and breathe like.
Kinda like Without Temptation, Brook Fraser, Eisly and Imogen Heap.

Not style wise, but she can cover this area of actual vocal tone. What would be a decent vocal mic for this type of voice.

SBRocket

Platinum Supporting Member
I love the Audix scx25a for female vox. It's not a standard but it should be and it's cheap-ish at about $500-$550 new. And you can't do better for under a grand. It is super clear and has amazing presence.

Some may disagree but I am very wary of buying condenser mics used. They are usually fragile enough that most people don't take care of them well enough.

SB

m@2

the bluebird (I think they are $250-300) is good for most female voices. That's the only reason I got that mic.

m@2

I didn't realize mics were gender specific???
true. it's more that some are better suited to louder or bassier vocals vs. light/airy/higher pitched vocals. Those descriptions can certainly apply to either gender

elambo

I didn't realize mics were gender specific???
What, you can't tell the difference between a male and female vocal? Many mics certainly can. A 251, for instance, is a superior mic for female vocals more so than it is for male, although it's great for both. Females sing in higher registers and many mics, for several reasons, shine in those registers. Others are simply unflattering up there, but might be great at lower frequencies. Without doing much to explain why, this is essentially how mics can favor female or male. Obviously it's a generalization - look at Michael Jackson or Marlene Dietrich as exceptions to their gender's rules about register.

My favorites for female are the 251 (as already mentioned) and a C12, possibly but not necessarily in that order. With the right preamp, a U47 (or a good 47 clone) can be equally perfect. Originals of any of these are quite expensive, but each has inspired clones from many companies, Peluso being one of the best of reasonable cost. Wunder being my favorite, but at a much higher price than Peluso.

Last edited:

Trending Topics