Fender 1962 Deluxe Wiring

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by monkeyodeath, Aug 30, 2008.

1. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

Hi all, just an interesting observation that I'd like to bounce off of you...

I just bought a '62 Fender Deluxe from a guy, and it looks pretty legit so far - transformer codes, tube chart stamp, all that stuff indicates that it's of the stated vintage.

Couple of things though - all the caps, well most of them, are orange - I don't know much about caps, but I do know that my '65 BFSR and '63 Blonde Bassman have blue ones. Did this amp have its caps replaced, you think, or did they use different ones back in the day? And how does that affect the sound?

Also, I notice that from the PT and OT, some of the wires coming from the transformer are plastic coated instead of cloth. As I said, the serial codes on both match up and they look like they are from '62. At the bottom of the OT, I can see a couple loops of wire going between a couple of the layers of paper. Just wondering what this means and what might have happened.

Anyways, the amp kicks ass for sure (breakup with a strat at 2.5! Yes!), but just interested in what kind of history it might have had.

Thanks!

2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Sounds like somebody replaced the orig coupling caps with Orange Drops----- i think this was considered an upgrade many yrs ago---- sometimes the orig Blue Molded or yellow Astron caps are "harvested" from an amp because they are worth $$$$ as Vintage Parts.
    I've heard of No-Class techs who do such things to customers' amps and charge them top $$$ for the work.
    Pics would help us see just what the situation is with your amp..................gldtp99

3. brad347

brad347 Member

See, that's funny, because I was thinking "well, his other amps had cap jobs where the electrolytics were replaced with Sprague Atoms, and the Deluxe still has the original cardboard tubular orange Astron electrolytics."

Your explanation is just as plausible though, if not more so.

We'll have to see pics to know which caps he is talking about. :)

As for the transformers, it's possible that the transformers themselves are original but the wires are not. It's possible to replace just the leads that go off of the transformers with new ones.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

FYI The transformer wires are plastic coated. The hook up wire is cloth.

5. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

Haha, yes, I realized this about the transformers after I saw a pic of a similar deluxe that looked exactly like mine! I feel dumb now, thought all the wires were cloth back then....