Fender 1980 Hendrix Strat, did they sell them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kinghat Guitars, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

Did they actually put these on the market? I saw where they may have given a few to a Texas dealer. The reason I ask, I have found a guitar with a reverse headstock, with a CAxxxxx serial #. I am nearly positive the neck and body did not start off life together. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What exactly have I found? I know that the CA serial belonged to early 80s Gold Strats, but I can't find any evidence online of reverse headstocks. I am wondering if I have stumbled onto a neck from a 1980 Hendrix model.

2. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

Also it does have body end strut rod adjustment

3. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Definitely not the right tuners?
    That pawnshop (assuming its a Cash America) has $290 in the guitar.

4. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

Can you tell by the tag or something? Yeah, the tuners are lockers and half-jacked looking.

5. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

YEah Cash America Pawn (and maybe others) use code MARYLOUISE to record what theyve paid for the guitar, where M=1, A=2, etc to E=0. Keep that in mind when negoitating :)

6. Mibeaulieu

Mibeaulieu Member

I think the hendrix 80 strats started with S. Not CA. Here is a link to one: http://www.modernguitars.com/testlog/largehead.gif

From what I read, there were between 4 and 25 of the 1980 Strats made and they were all sold to a TX dealer. If it was a 1980 there should be a prototype stamp on the back.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

This seems to be a "for export" model meaning for sale outside the US.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What's the deal with the huge blurry pics? How 'bout a pic of the entire guitar? It's hard to tell anything about what I can see but a serial no. starting with CA used to denote a special edition model, I think.

9. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

10. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

The guitar is still at the pawnshop, and the more I look at it the more I am convinced it is one of the 25 Hendrix necks. If I removed the neck, would there be any identifying marks?

11. towtruk7

towtruk7 Member

Yeah, that serial number doesn't seem to match that headstock style or body color that should go with it. I'm no expert, but I'd be a little suspect of the neck plate not having any Fender insignia on it too. Its hard to tell from the pics, but I'd bet on it being a clever sticker job on a cheap guitar. But like I said, I'm far from being an expert. You've obviously been watching it for quite a while; if its got a good price and it plays well, pick it up. You'll either have a guitar you like to play or a hidden prize.

12. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Yup, and SRV had one of them.