Fender 2-post trem replacement questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joegold, Jan 21, 2015.

1. joegold

joegold Member

Can anybody tell me if the new(ish) Fender American Strat Trems (2-post pivot with the bent-steel saddles) also have a steel block?
    E.g.
    http://intl.fender.com/en-CA/guitar...-stratocaster-tremolo-bridge-assembly-chrome/

I've got a pre-2008 American Standard Strat that I think I want to upgrade the trem on.
    I want the new trem to be an exact retrofit (no mods needed at all) and to have a steel block and steel saddles.
    I'd actually prefer the Gotoh-style rectangular saddles, as found on their 510-series trems (see below) as opposed to the stamped-steel-style saddles.
    E.g.
    http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product=ns510t-fe1

While we're at it, does anybody know if the Gotoh bridge above IS also an exact retrofit for a pre-2008 American Standard Strat?
    [I'll be sending off an email to the Gotoh guy about this as well.]

But I'd be OK with stamped-steel, as in the new Fender trems, if that's the only way I could get an exact retrofit.

Any info appreciated.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The am std has always had a steel block ,but it is a sintered one . The upgraded one is steel suspended in an alloy.
    The 510 t is a zinc block ,you need the 510 ts fe1 for CRS ( milled steel.)
    It is not a direct fit but requires I tiny (1mm) tweak to the rout around the arm mech.
    Two seconds with a dremol or round file and invisible with the term in place. Don't let this put you off as I see greater alterations on new guitars to fit their stock parts.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The saddles you chose make no difference as gotoh make all types to fit.

4. joegold

joegold Member

Hmm.
    I always heard that they were zinc blocks.
    Assuming you're correct, could you comment on the tone of the new alloy steel blocks vs say a Callaham or vintage Fender-type steel block?
    Similar?
    Close?
    Not real close?
    Etc.

Yes, i realize I have to be careful when ordering it to order the one with the steel block.
    I believe they're both represented at that link.

Understood.
    Thanks a lot!
    Very helpful.

5. joegold

joegold Member

And if you get around to doing that could you also comment on the tonal differences between a trad steel-block ala Callaham vs the "sintered steel" blocks in the pre-2008 USA Strats?

I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The old fender block is similar in tone to a zinc one and the new one is just a bit brighter. Neither is bad and both have less effect on your tone than a set of bent steel saddles in compared to a solid cast set.
    Even these vary depending on the hardness. Raw vintage (soft and warm sounding,) Gotoh/Callaham ( hard and bright.) It is all down to the tonal effect you want to have on your guitar.

7. joegold

joegold Member

Hmm. That's all a bit confusing, but I guess it doesn't matter.
    No need to clarify.
    Thanks for your comments.

8. joegold

joegold Member

FWIW
    A few years ago I modified my 2007-ish (not sure of the exact year, but it's pre-2008) USA Strat's trem with the Callaham upgrade kit.
    I like the tonal differences a lot.
    But the Callaham bent steel offset saddles don't seem to stay in tune as well as the stock Fender block offset zinc saddles or a set of Graphtec block offset saddles I have.
    The Callaham saddles' intonation screws seem to have some play in them such that the saddle is not 100% perpendicular to the back edge of the bridge plate when the strings are tightened.
    But the saddles that *are* good for tuning stability don't sound as good. D'oh.

So I'm looking to try something else again which is why I started this thread.
    This would be easy if somebody just made a steel block offset saddle set I could buy but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I already have the Graphtec String Saver Classic "Brushed Steel" saddles but unless they sent me the wrong saddles in the right package those saddles don't sound very good to me to me.
    And they are not magnetically attractive so I don't know what kind of "steel" that is.
    But today I'm thinking I'll just put the original Fender zinc saddles back on and be done with it.
    Thanks again.