Fender 40th or 60th Anniversary Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rabbuhl, Feb 25, 2009.

1. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I am looking around for a sunburst Fender 40th or 60th Anniversary Stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard. Anyone have experience with the differences between the 40th or 60th Anniversary models?

2. go7

go7 Member

I had a 60th anniversary Fender Strat. The string through bushings on the back were drilled too large. When I changed strings the bushings fell out. Upon inspection they were drilled larger than the actual bushing. Fender put gobs of white silicone to fill the gap. Didn`t work. Incredibly bad workmanship. It went back...I don`t think this is representative of Fender but I do wonder...lol.

3. subendo

subendo Member

Are you talking about Fender's anniversary or the anniversary of the Strat? I have 40th ('94) and 50th ('04) anniversary Strats, but my brother has a Fender 60th anniversary Strat purchased a year or two ago. Confusing, but there are anniversaries to mark the birth of Fender itself and also to mark the invention of the Stratocaster.
    I always thought it was pretty smart marketing of Fender to have so many "anniversary" Strat models. My "40th anniversary" model has the red white and blue swoosh-y thing on the headstock. Rosewood board, thin satin finish neck. I think the main diff between my 40th (strat anniversary) and my brother's 60th (fender anniversary) is that mine came with the TBX tone control which i'm pretty sure has been discontinued. Also, his 60th has a maple board - I don't believe there was an option for rosewood. And it only came in one color AFAIK. I also believe the 60th is MIM, while mine is Am. Std.
    The only issues I have with my 40th strat is that the neck is very thin. I haven't used the TBX control in years (swapped out for Acme blender circuit), I imagine there's lots of knowledgeable people here that can discuss pros and cons of that feature.

Dave

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

This does not sound like a 60th Anniversary Am Se Strat to me. As for ferrules falling out the back of the 60th Anniversary Am Se Tele, well, all 3 guitars' worth of mine were fine - just snug enough I could press them out to polish the body.
    I've seen some MIM Teles a little too loose, but you can substitute the ribbed Allparts ferrules if need be. Child's play, and certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over. Much rather that kind of issue than one costing $ 10 or more to put right. ;)

To the O P, I can't help because I don't know enough about the 40th. Sorry.

5. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Yes, I am looking at the 40th (strat anniversary) and the 60th (fender anniversary). The custom shop pickups are supposed to be nice but I don't know if they both have the same electronics. I am avoiding the 50th (strat anniversary) because that year came with gold hardware. I have seen both the 40th and 60th on eBay including a few fakes. My guitar tech recommended the 40th as a solid guitar but that little emblem can jack up the price compared to a usa stratocaster.