Fender 51?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by elchato, Jan 22, 2007.

1. elchato

elchato Member

Am I the only one to think that it would be great if Fender made their own version of the Squier 51? I mean, the design looks great, it's selling a lot already and I'm sure it would sell a lot more if there was a MIM version...

2. billywade

billywade Member

A good idea that I'd bet will end up happening eventually. I think I saw a pic of a CS model on the net a week or so back. The electronics were more tele but the look was '51.

I don't know of a precedent for this in the Fender lineup. It may have happened before but not to my limited knowledge. Meaning, A Squier that becomes a Fender as opposed to the other way around.

3. elchato

elchato Member

4. madsr

madsr Member

I used a body from one of these to build my own CS Version.. it turned out great, one of the lighter bodies I could find on these also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Yeah , that would be brilliant... it could look just like the one I built in 02'/03' with USACG parts :messedup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trust me, Tommy has been getting some mileage out of this one. My guitar has been used on his site since it was finished (still is...) I sent him the link of the $4000 Fender Masterbuilt version and he kind of choked laughed and smiled.

FWIW - this has been called the 51 STP by USACG long before Fender ever went to market with the Squire. The design was based on the Robin Ranger which was based on the Tele Bass...oh well - flatery and all that.

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/51stp.html

Steve E

6. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

7. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I think the only reason the squier's really sold is their price. I'm not sure they really elicited a lot of interest just because of the design, or the options.

I've got two squier 51s (modified them both), and will keep playing them. But I don't think I'd have a use for a similar guitar for more $$$, even with 'better' wood and/or hardware.