Fender '52 Hot Rod Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mailman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. mailman

mailman Member

Been looking at several Fender Telecaster models, and this hot rod version with the Semour Duncan mini-humbucker caught my eye. Have read several positive reviews of this model, citing the 7.5 round neck, med.-lg. frets and the pick-up selection that provides a wide range of traditional sounds. Any of you care to support/disclaim this Fender model?
    Also, I've noticed on EBay, that the Voodoo Lounge Fender custom models offered by Pat's Guitars has been getting premium space. But, these guitars are "in production," so what you see online is an "example" of what the finished instrument will look like. How does one buy without seeing the actual instrument you'll be purchasing? Just curious...:confused:

2. Dave

Dave Member

The '52 Hot Rod Tele is a great guitar. There's been several threads posted about it with mostly positive reviews. Definitely try it before you buy it, but I think you'll be impressed. BTW the fretboard radius is 9.5", not 7.5". ;)

3. mailman

mailman Member

My bad, thanks for the correction.:BEER But, being new to Fender Tele's (as I'm a Gibson LP/335 guy), I'm just curious which tele model is preferred. Seems like the '52 "hot rod" gives the best of Gibson & Fender-sound oppotunities...Perhaps I should ask, why SHOULD'NT I buy the '52 Hot Rod Tele?

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

No reason NOT to buy at all

Go down and try it out. Im sure youll love it as much as I do mine now ;)

5. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

+1 : )

6. Griz

Griz Member

It's on my list since I played one in a store. Great guitar.
    :AOK

7. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

The Hot Rod Tele is probably my favorite non-Custom Shop Fender to come out in years. I bought the SD mini-bucker that they have in it after playing the guitar in the store and falling in love with that neck tone.

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

The only thing to consider is that for and extra $299 you can get a Custom shop Custom classic with a flamed neck etc.. The flame on the CC is just aces.

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I went down to try the '62 Hotrod Strat because that was the one that had my eye. It was a nice Strat (also worth owning), but I tried the Tele at the same time and that was the one that knocked me out.

Look used. They're not common yet, but I've seen them in the $1000 range. Also, I was offered the new one at $1375. Not sure why the online places are so much more.

10. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

Early last year I sent the guy at Pat's (Pat, I guess) an email and asked him to compare/contrast his Voodoo Lounge to the Hot Rod 52 and the Albert Collins Tele (HB-equipped). He sent a very prompt, thorough, courteous, and informative response. I ultimately decided to put in an order with the Custom Shop to get exactly what I wanted in an HB Tele, but had I not, I was leaning toward Pat's Tele even without playing one. I have no affiliation with that place, but I'd suggest sending him an email to get more info. That said, I love the Hot Rod 52 and still think about it.

11. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

+1 on the Hot Rod Tele. Just got one off here and lovin' it! Its the best of the old and new: vintage style bridege with compensated saddles, nitro finish on neck and premium ash body, med/large frets on modern 9.5" neck, and Two useful pickups. All built and backs by Fender with the resale of a Fender.
    The Pat's thing sounds nice, thougl I have no experience with it. I can just attest that the Hot Rod Tele is a fine piece.

12. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

i went on a tele trying sprea a while back (we're talking 3 days spent with every USA model fender offers, plus a couple of vintage ones and custom shop models)

i had 3 hotrod teles at my disposal and i have to say they were very consistent. and were a step above anything else there.
    for me at least.

they even had a couple of the masterbuilt relics, which i found to be VERY dissapointing. maybe they were jsut dogs, im not sure. but the price was about 4 times that of the hotrod.

they were an obvious step above the standard USA teles imo.
    the customshop classic tele was nice, but seemed too 'modern' for me. (this is all my own opinion of course)
    they had a thin skin 52 which was also nice, but not quite as much of a players guitar as the hotrod.
    the 52 RI seemed a little too plastic to be a 50's era fender.
    the 60s RI was nice though, but couldnt bond all that well with the 7.5 radius

food for thought i guess.
    the other models didnt leave a lasting memory so i guess they were 'meh'
    i was rather impressed with the highways though, for the money.