• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender 52 RI Tele Pickups

Hadden

Hello,

I have a Fender 52 RI Tele that I'd like to find new pickups for.
And I was hoping for some input from some of you.

I have a 08 Fender Tele that really covers the clean tele sound.

I'd like to find something different for the 52 RI, and I'm not a fan of the pickups is has.

Thanks Matt

Polynitro

Those are good pickups but I switched mine out after about a year. I went with a lower output Curtis Novak set with A5 magnets, I think 6.7K bridge, 5.9K neck and this neck PUP kills the OV which ws kind of dark for me.

Id go with a stock Fralin set, I have a bridge in my Esquire and this is my favorite PUP. I think they are 6.6K bridge 7k neck A5. You can get them from Angela's for $160.

Or go the other way and get a Don Mare 0038 early Broadcaster set and give the Tele some BALLS

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
You could not pick a more personal, even existential topic than one's fave Tele PUPs. With this introductory caveat, after years of experimentation, my '52 RI, for the past two years, has excelled with a Fender Nocaster (original 10.2K model) bridge and Harmonic Design Vintage Plus neck, wired in 4-way. The bridge PUP, to me, is super special. I went through a lot of 'em. I had two criteria: (1) gotta be a legit Tele bridge-sound (if you're Tele fan, no further explanation is required); (2) gotta have some beef. This PUP won the contest.

Hadden

Does anyone have any clips of said pickups?

I'm kinda thinking of a Danny Gatton sound, a bit of dirt not too much.
But I don't want to do hot rails.

I'm new to the pickup thing...I've played for years and this is the first Tele I've ever had that doesn't sound like a Tele...lol

Your 52RI doesn't sound like a Tele? Sounds like operator error to me (no disrespect, of course ;))

But seriously, while I liked my 52RI stock, I switched mine out after about a year just to try something different. I went with a set of Lollar vintage staggered that someone was selling here and liked them so much that I see no need to change. They are vintage sounding with some extra fatness (for lack of a better term). Not sure if this sound reference will help, but I was listening to some early Springsteen (circa 73) one day and thought "that's the exact same sound I had when I was practicing yesterday."

But to add on to what Jon said, you'll probably get a different answer with every response.

Polynitro

this is the first Tele I've ever had that doesn't sound like a Tele...lol
OK something else is going on here...This may sound silly but have you messed with the PUP height? These PUPs are really sensitive to adjustments. It should however, sound very much like a Tele right out of the box!

doublee

It would be very interesting to hear what those 52's might sound like reinstalled in all those RI's that we ALL have thought we needed to replace?

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I think Lindy Fralin winds a fantastic Telecaster pickup. Having said that, for the past fours years I've been using a Lollar/GVCG set. I recently swapped out the neck for a Don Mare Stelly. The Stelly is a straty sounding pickup that might be a little bright in my guitar and I may go back to the Lollar neck. There are a bunch of talented winders, Lollar, Fralin, Seymour's Antiquities, Peter Florence, Don Mare has serious chops, Fred Stuart, and the sleeper of them all, OC Duff.

Bottle_Rocket

Does anyone have any clips of said pickups?

I'm kinda thinking of a Danny Gatton sound, a bit of dirt not too much.
But I don't want to do hot rails.

I'm new to the pickup thing...I've played for years and this is the first Tele I've ever had that doesn't sound like a Tele...lol

Gatton used Joe Barden pups.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
You could not pick a more personal, even existential topic than one's fave Tele PUPs. With this introductory caveat, after years of experimentation, my '52 RI, for the past two years, has excelled with a Fender Nocaster (original 10.2K model) bridge and Harmonic Design Vintage Plus neck, wired in 4-way. The bridge PUP, to me, is super special. I went through a lot of 'em. I had two criteria: (1) gotta be a legit Tele bridge-sound (if you're Tele fan, no further explanation is required); (2) gotta have some beef. This PUP won the contest.

You know Jon, you and I have more in common than I thought. :eek:

I have a 52 RI with a Harmonic Design 54 in the neck and the SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge.

However, it has taken a back seat to my Road Worn Tele now. :)

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
It would be very interesting to hear what those 52's might sound like reinstalled in all those RI's that we ALL have thought we needed to replace?
This is a good point.

Sometimes you just want a new sound and there's nothing wrong with the stock pickups.

You realize this when you throw the old ones back in. :jo

Good thing Tele pickups are easy to change.

Lo Blues

Yeah, I like swappin' pickups for fun just as much as the next guy, but I left my 52 reissue alone. It sounds pretty much perfect to me.

Not saying you won't get some cool results from folks like Lollar, Mare, Fralin, etc. but the '52 reissues that I've played have all been pretty killer.

Polynitro

True...You know initially I just wanted to switch the bridge out so I put a Mare Super Sport in but it was out of phase with the neck so I had Novak wind me a neck that was in phase with the Mare and it was but the outputs didn't match up so I had Novak wind me a bridge to match his neck and thats what Ive been using since.

TJL

I don't know why people would say the 52 needs a pick up swap, but if you choose to, lean towards fralins. I think the pickups sound stellar to me.

Hadden

Ok.......it's not user error????

I bought it brand new, and the neck pickup is worthless.........and yes I know it's a cap/wiring thing. I love the guitar...but before I rewire the whole thing I wanted some feedback. And you all came up with some great ideas.

I use the Neck for Jazzy tones, and the bridge for twang.........So I know that the way it is currently doesn't work for me.
I'd love to hear how that dark, muddy neck pickup is full of great tone???? lol

Polynitro

I bought it brand new, and the neck pickup is worthless.........and yes I know it's a cap/wiring thing. I love the guitar...but before I rewire the whole thing I wanted some feedback. And you all came up with some great ideas.

I use the Neck for Jazzy tones, and the bridge for twang.........So I know that the way it is currently doesn't work for me.
Go play a Nocaster, I like that neck PUP alot, and the bridge aint too shabby either.

Lo Blues

Wait a second, I'm confused. Are you saying you haven't changed the wiring yet?

The stock 52 reissue is wired so position one is the bridge, position two is the neck, and position three is the neck with all the highs rolled off.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already know this, I just want to make sure.

Trending Topics