Fender '57 Deluxe Tweed Handwired RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AaeCee, Mar 1, 2008.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Any opinions on these? This is the newer Fender Custom Shop edition. Fits the bill nicely for my current desires, but not an inexpensive shot if it ain't great.

Thanks,

AC

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

They are well built and sound good, but no better built than many of the premium clones that are available for less. Clark and Victoria are still considered two of the best and both can be had new for cheaper than the street price of the Fender. And there are are a slew of Tweed Deluxe clones that sound true to the originals for as little as $800. So, it's all in what how exactly you define value.

And remember, it's Tweed, so its fat and midrangy and Marshall-esque, not clean and spanky like a BF Fender (this may seem rudimentary but the web is full of second-hand Tweeds because people don't know how different Tweed Tone is from Fender Tone, as I also add it).

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

They are good amps, however at that price-point, a Victoria or a Clark (especially a Clark) is a better value. The Vickys and Clarks use better components, are built even better, and have far better customer service than Fender. One example is to check out the wiring inside the chassis on each... the Fender is a rat's nest and the others are like well-organized works of art. And they cost less than the Fender!

These observations are my humble opinion, but based on playing all three, and owning two of the three at different times.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks, GBG. I already own a Twin Tweed CS RI and love it. The component choices seem top notch as well, with parts like Mercury transformers and well matched (at least in this case) GT tubes. The wiring in mine is quite clean and neat, even compared to the Vikky's I've seen. Is the Deluxe at the same level or a notch or two down? Considering they're both Custom Shop pieces, I was kinda hoping the attention to detail would also be top notch. I have a line on a new one at a great price.

5. SFLP

SFLP Member

I had one and sold it. I have since bought the Victoria 20112, which I think is better made and uses higher-end components. If I had to do it over, I would skip the Fender and go straight for the Vicky (or Clark).

6. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

I have the Fender and I love it. I've also had originals and the Fender RI measures up very well except a new speaker will never sound like an alnico Jenson that has been flexed for 50 years.

7. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i just bought the fender 57 deluxe RI. i love it. i dont know about the rats net comment. mine is pretty neat. i can get the vicky for 300 less, but whatever.
    i dont want to get all bent out of shape over this VS that with this little beauty.
    its a keeper. i will however be getting a victoria double deluxe as well.

8. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

They're good. The one at Centaur Guitar (Portland) sounded close enough to my Clark that I knew it would work for me. They wanted 1200 used for it... not a bad price but you might be able to get less on CL if you wait a long time.

9. jw112

jw112 Member

wow, this thread was from 3 years ago

10. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I really like the Fender. It sounds more primitive to me than the Victoria, and I really was impressed with the Neil Young sound when I drove the Fender with a Les Paul. I couldn't get the Vicky to give up that sound.

Both are wonderful amps, but I get primitive from the Fender and sweet from the Victoria. :)

11. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Having it say Fender on the badge will ultimately get you more if you end up selling it.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Typically when you need to make a comment that is irrelevant to the post, you put OT in front of the title.

Aren't we supposed to be posting in existing threads rather than starting new ones all the time.

See Posting and You

13. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I got the Fender RI and absolutely love it.

I love that it's new, i love that it's PTP, I love the tone and i love that it's a Fender.

I didn't even know what a Tweed Deluxe was till the day i played it. Bought it on the spot and i'm now working on selling my other amps.

That being said i haven't played any of the clones. They may be great too.

14. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Obviously, this is now a very old thread, but just to clarify . . . the term "Custom Shop" is a bit of a misnomer in this case. It would be more accurate to call it "Custom Series", and here's why . . .

I too was considering one of these fine amps when I discovered several used ones for-sale that had different brands of trannies. Some were Mercury, some were Schumacher, some were unidentified others, but the owners all indicated that they came directly from the retailer or Fender factory that way (i.e., they had never been owner-modified).

So, I contacted Mercury Magnetics and Fender Instruments to inquire of both. In doing so, I learned that these amps are indeed point-to-point and American-made, and that they did indeed come with different makes of transformers depending on when they were made, but they are not a product of Fender's "Custom Shop" like a CS Strat might be or other CS-produced guitar. They are simply part of Fender's so-called "Custom Series" of products.