Fender '57 Tweed Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by claptonfreak, Jul 20, 2008.

1. claptonfreak

claptonfreak Member

I've known for a while now that I was going to have to drop $500-$1000 on a new amp for some small gigs and I've been shopping around for one. But then I saw the '57 Tweed Twin on musiciansfriend, price tag $2399. From the reviews I've read it seems to be one of the best amps of it's size for classic rock music. I was considering building my own with a Webber kit, I was also considering just getting all the parts together myself and I have a few questions.

First, if anyone has ever used one of these amps, Is it worth the money, does it sound that good?

Second, are the Fender master builders really all their cracked up to be. Do they have some special secret, and if I build the amp myself to the same parts and specifications, will it be inferior?

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

If it's built right with all of the wiring routed well it can be just as good or even better.

I do like this amp qoite a bit but I can say that several times I've played one back and forth between that and a Bassman and liked the Bassman better.
    Seemed to have more septh to me.

That said I could be happy with the Twin.

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Tweed twin LP is one of my favorite amps.

4. gregc

gregc Member

Great sounding amp, IMO. I own one.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

It would be my first choice, hands down, of all the modern (current) Fender amps. I've only heard positive things about them. Having said that my first choice for a tweed Twin would be one of the offerings from Louis Electric. The best tweed based amps I've heard. I can solder but don't have the knowledge to build my own. Perhaps a 5E3, but a tweed Twin is a whole other level.

Tom

6. skoora

skoora Member

I have one. Got it for $1350 used. I also thought about the Bassman but there's just something about the way this amp drives that I like better. The Bassman will get you a "bigger" clean tone in the room but the Tweed Twin while also having a nice clean tone just has a much richer or musical overdrive to me when cranked. Also it's extremely responsive to the preamp tube choices and I also prefer 12" speakers. Plus I can use an attenuator with the Twin which you can't on the Bassman (unless there's an adaptor available for the 4 speaker outs). I was lucky to be able play them side by side at volume at a GC and after that, the choice was obvious.

Plus I like the EQ on the Twin better.

7. bluesjuke

Used is the way to go on these.
    I've seen several that looked like they never left the facotry as far as condition that were $1500. or less.

8. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

building amps is a bit more complicated than, say, installing pickups, pots and caps. The biggest issue is being able to troubleshoot. One part goes tits up, and you've got to find which one, that takes experience. Building a tweed twin for a first project would be a very ambitious undertaking, to say the least.

I like the sounds of 12s myself more than 10s, so the tweed twin wins there for me. I've played a couple of them, and am smitten with desire for one. Steep price has made buying new unlikely for me, and not enough new ones are being sold around here for me to find one used. So far, only 2 have come and gone from my local GC, 2 or 3 years ago. One other store in state had one over a year ago, and doesn't have any in stock now and won't get its next shipment from Fender until October (with no tweed twins on order :().

All the used ones I've seen would require shipping to acquire them. Plus I never have money when they're available, or vice versa.

9. bluesjuke

I usually see them at Guitar Shows used the most and in the Emporium sometimes too.

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The '57 Tweed Twin is a nice sounding amp but it didn't have enough clean headroom for my purposes and I missed not having a mid control...so I returned mine and kept my '59 Bassman.

11. SoundPureAmanda

SoundPureAmanda Member