Fender 59' Bassman RI w/ Vox Tonelab LE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by isaiah.chentnik, Jan 3, 2008.

1. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

I have need of advice!

I just recently purchased a Vox ToneLabLE and use it religiously (I love it). However, I am looking into a purchasing new amp as the one I have now pretty much stinks (Kustom 100w, [​IMG]blah!). I love the 59' Bassman RI sound (love at first sound). The problem I have come to is this.....

I personally could care less about extra OD channels other amps have (Fender Blues Deville). Give my one good clean channel with and effects loop and the Tonelab will do the rest of the work. But, the Bassman has no effects loop. I think this means my Tonelab LE pretty much becomes a glorified wah pedal (not the worst thing ever). I also noticed for a little bit less money, there is a Fender Blues Deville available that is toting the "modeled after 59 Bassman" slogan.
    I think I could be happy with the Bassman without the effects loop and just use it's own wonderful tone but..... what if I could get similar tone from the DeVille and have the effecs loop? Maybe?

I have also dabbled with the possibility of getting a PA system set up to just use the ToneLab as the tone/sound producer. In other words an amp setup with clear, clean, range so I can use the ToneLab to it's fullest and then maybe get a Bassman on the side so I can make love to it when no one is around....... this could start getting costly though and I'm not in it for the money ;).

My questions:
    A) Do you think I could get the ToneLab to do anything through the 59 Bassman besides wah or a little compression, maybe some delay or reverb?
    B) Is their a way to put an effects loop into a Bassman or and alternative to any of this?

Does anyone know what type of PA system would allow a Vox Tonelab LE to have similar ranges (or at least a thick creamy, bassy, or great tone) as the Fender Bassman or VibroVerb (another love of mine)?

How well do you think the Fender Blues DeVille will hold up with the ToneLab through the effects loop? Still close to the 59' Bassman or a waste of time? I probably wouldn't even use any of the OD channels on the Deville or at least never had on any previous amps, I usually use effects processors and/or pedals to get the tone but I have never had a tone monster of an amp before.

2. SuperStrat

SuperStrat Member

Not likely to be discussed much on this forum, lol. I use an SE into the front of my f50 and it sounds great... I get compliments all the time about my tone.

Just set the amp up for a neutral EQ setting and the Tonelab up for instrument level out. Create your patches with that setup -- it's not as good as straight into a great amp, but it sure sounds good and it sure is versatile.

Good luck!

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Do you REALLY need an effects loop? Out of the few dozen players I've seen use a ToneLab, I've seen 1, maybe 2 use an effects loop....and they didn't even use delay. My bassman takes my DD20 really well with no effects loop. Actually....it takes everything well.

4. SuperStrat

SuperStrat Member

Are you going to want the TL just for effects? The models sound pretty good into a clean tube amp... I didn't like it nearly as much into a PA or SS amp. If you just want the effects, I think there would be cheaper ways to get that done. YMMV.

5. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

I have been using the TL for effects and amp modeling cause the amp I have now is week in terms of tone. So I play the clean channel and use the TL for amp modeling and effects = better tone/sound.

I have the budget for a new amp but want to get something that would allow me to use the TL cause I like the sound. However, I also love the Bassman sound a lot. That SRV type tone is priceless.

I find that using effects loops with amps makes the effects your using (whatever they are) sound much better than plugging straight into the normal guitar jack. The Bassman wasn't designed to have all sorts of effects played through it. You send the tone lab with delay or flange into it and the sound of the guitar gets distorted before it ever hits the amp, it just doesn't sound as good, to me = dilemma. What's your f50 model, a 50w or something?

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Have you actually plugged the ToneLab or any pedals into a BMRI? I have to disagree with you 10000000% because the pedals that I own that I was thinking of dumping prior to my BMRI purchase sound amazing in front of my amp. My amp takes my delay exceptionally well. The guitar doesn't distort at all.

7. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

No I haven't gotten a chance to plug my TL into a Bassman this is kind of what I was asking. Thank you! I do like to use the LEs amp modeling for hi gain as well as metal distortion. I just don't think thats gonna sound good in the front of the amp every amp I have had before chumps out when you do that.

8. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I would most definitely try the Tonelab into the Bassman. Does the Tonelab have an internal way to bypass it's own models and either just use the effects or nothing at all? If not, you could even buy a bypass loop pedal and stick the TL in it like any other pedal (if you want the straight Bassman tones at times). You may have to dial in your patches a bit differrently on the TL once you get the Bassman, but I think it would probably work great.

Best of luck to you :)

9. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

Yeah, you can turn the amp modeling off and on. It's really great and I realized that eventually I will bring my guitar to the store and ask them to plug in a ToneLab before I actually purchase any amp but I thought maybe I'd look for other suggestions. Thats why I was asking about the Blues DeVille. I figured maybe you could get some different sounds out of it maybe something real heavy. I also really like the way the ToneLab sounds through a Monitor type speaker. If you have something with a sub woofer it sounds amazing. I wouldn't compare to the Bassman but in terms of quality I would say it's next to it.

10. RDM

RDM Senior Member

The bassman takes everything so well, I don't see it not taking the TL well.

11. SuperStrat

SuperStrat Member

f50 = Mesa F50 (50 watt, 2 X 6L6)

I wouldn't fixate on an effects loop.... 85%of them sound like crap, anyway. I say if you like the Bassman, get the Bassman.:JAM

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've owned my BMRI for probably 13yrs or so now and I use a combo of rack gear and pedals. They all go straight into the front end and it sounds just great. I haven't tried a TL through it though so I can't comment specifically on it, but it shouldn't be much different. Then again it depends on the quality of the TL to begin with if all other components are of reasonable sonic quality. And that's assuming you would even be able to tell the difference in the first place. So long story short: no need for a loop in the BMRI.

Now you can make a pseudo effects loop using the 2 of the 4 inputs. So you can plug into Normal 1...and out from Normal 2 into your effects and then into Bright 1. It's just like jumpering it, but you're just putting effects in the middle of the jumper. It's not a "real" effects loop, but you can def use it as such. And it's tweakable by using the two volume controls too.

13. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

Awesome, thanks! I wouldn't have guessed you could do something like that. I think I am slowly making up my mind towards the Bassman. Even if I through the TL out I would still be happy with the sound of the Amp alone.

Thanks Again!

14. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

A Tonelab with a Bassman! BLASPHEMY!!:eek:
    Im a saaaaad panda...

15. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

anybody make a Bassman clone with a loop?

16. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Using a Bassman as a foundation for Hi Gain and Metal ??? What a waste of a good amp.

17. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

LOL, I know, I know, I am kind of starting to realize the conundrum of mixing the effects modeling with good tube amp tone. It's worth the thought though. It seems I could only really dream of such things.
    :drool

18. isaiah.chentnik

isaiah.chentnik Member

It's not that so much as this.... I am a student and have *&#@ for money. I work a lot already and just don't have the money to drop on three different amps for the different sound that I like. The reason I am asking is because I work quite a bit and it has taken me some time to save up a descent amount of money. I am really interesting in maximizing my purchase because it will be the only one for a while and will have to work for me until then.