1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender 60 th anniversary ,junk

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by go7, Jul 16, 2006.

1. go7

go7 Member

For 40 years I resisted the temptation of power marketing, ie not buying a Fender. I gave in and bought a 60 th anniv Tele. The 9.5 radius felt great ,in the shop I could play only through a low pwered amp .I bought the biscuit.I took it to my Teck for a set up .Suprise,bridge not grounded, tuners going loose all in one week . Tone control useless.The thing is self destructing. Put some Wolfetones pups in a big help.Fender and dealer are of no help.Thank goodness I have 3 G+l`s and 2 Heatleys, real quality . The build quality of Fender is a joke. The pros we see playing Fenders are from a special section of their custom shop or pre cbs built.I was told by Fender rep I could get one for around $7,100 U.S. or by standard custom shop.Thanks for nothing . Chalk it down to a lesson learned.

2. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

fishing for a little sport-arguing time on the net huh? yeah, it has been a tad boring today. :rolleyes:

3. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I've read many reviews on these. First time I have heard anything below excellent on this model. I think they come with the SCN pickups, which came in my Deluxe HSS model, which is the only thing I personally did not like about the guitar.

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Which Fender dealer? If it's a new guitar they are required to help.

Tuner problem? Personally I have never seen that happen in the span of a week on any new Fender guitar and I've been selling new Fender guitars for 28 years. I'm not saying it's impossible...but I am saying it's extremely unlikely.

Who is this tech to whom you refer?

You could get *what* for $7,100.00? Which Fender rep told you this? I pretty much know them all and would love to hear what he's referring to. That's an extremely high "street" price even for most Custom Shop Models.

5. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

One-off masterbuilt Fender custom shop guitars built to order can run near $7000. I got a quote some years ago in that range.

Bummer to have issues such as these with a new guitar. Everything mentioned--defective tuners, faulty wiring, bad potentiometer--are covered by warrantee, so there should be no issue there at all. I've had a megaton of experience with Fenders--never heard of so many things going wrong all at once. My sympathies.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I've been repairing guitars professionally for 20 years now too, and I've never seen those sorts of problems all at once on a Fender. IMO Fender's QC is pretty high at the price-points they sell at - especially the non-Custom Shop models - and most issues are down to slightly lax final assembly and setup... which I admit can be serious issues for those not familiar with setting up their own guitars. But it's very rare I come across one which can't be made into at least a pretty good guitar with an hour or so's work. (I don't mean that the CS guitars are poor BTW, just that the non-CS ones are very nearly the same quality and a lot cheaper.)

I'm also certainly not saying there are none with faults, but in my experience it's quite rare and almost unknown for there to be more than one on the same guitar.

Is your tech aware that the ground for the bridge on a vintage-style Tele with a pickup baseplate is carried via the pickup mounting screws and so doesn't 'appear' to be there?

7. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Hmmmmm.

I just played a friend's 60th anniversary Mexican strat -- it played and sounded fine. I didn't put it under the microscope but it seemed like a nicely made guitar to me. As a matter of fact, if he should ever think about selling it I'd buy it from him.

It's the only 60th Anniversary model I've tried so I really can't form a definitive opinion about them. However, if the overall quality of 60th Anniversary Fenders is comparable to the one I played they ought to be pretty nice guitars.

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing fenders since the 70's, and even as crappy as the were back then, I didn't have the amount of problems you're having.

9. TS808

TS808 Member

I've been playing Fenders since 1983. Never had a problem with any of them, whether strats or teles.

10. HHB

HHB Member

you need a new tech, the bridge "not grounded" is the tell

11. go7

go7 Member

timbascam;
    the store was music max ,their tech name was scott,the fender rep wasn`t handing out buisness cards,the $7100 master built fender was on the wall.Add taxes.I have since resolved issues with this guitar,thanks to all who gave positive feedback. I should mention purchased in Canada,we don`t seem to get much help from any U.S. manufacturers reps. But this was the worst ever. Now that it`s fixed it is really a very nice guitar and very playable w/ 9.5 radius. Put Wolfetone pups in and am liking the guitar very much. Again thanks to all those who gave positive help.

12. radialaced

radialaced Member

Very often slipping tuners are blamed for incorrect string wrap on the tuners.

13. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2000 Mexican strat. I have a nicer guitar, but I still play it because it sounds good, gets a strat vibe, and am never going to sell it (too many memories).

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

15. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Im with John Phillips on this one.
    I have never run into this many issues on a Fender before either.
    If the screws come loose, tighten them up to your liking.
    Pickups are very subjective, I personally like them.
    The tone controls work well for me, maybe yours were faulty, wrong cap etc etc.

16. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I just played 3 mexican 60th anniversary strats and I was very pleasantly surprised. The sound from them was great and the maple neck felt great. for 499, they are great values.

I've never had any tuner issues with any fenders. I'm not a big fender fan, but when they make a good product, I give them credit.

17. dallas

dallas Member

I love mine. Putting A Dimarzio Fast Track 2 as we speak in the bridge. I'm not a big fan of rosewood fretboards, but getting used to it.

[​IMG]

18. go7

go7 Member

go7 here.Mine is American built.As per last reply after rant. Guitar has worked out well ,I`ll put it down to teething problems.It is now a fine guitar and after 40 + years of playing the only Fender I consider a keeper in my stable. Again thanks to all the positive feedback I got that made it easy to fix problems.