• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender 62 Hot Rod Vintage Reissue Neck Size

aleiberman

Last month i picked up a 62 Hot Rod Reissue. The guitar is awesome and happy i own one. The neck is huge, probabaly the fattest fender neck i have owned. I do not dislike it, it is just taking time to get used to. With that said, why did fender put this guitar out with such a large neck? Was this neck shape and/or size actually common on a strat in the 60's, or is this model this hot rod model the extreme? Also, is there actually fender necks larger (either vintage or modern)?

Thanks

DaveNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I have one as well - I think it's the biggest neck they put on a non-cs guitar (except for the 52 nocaster, I guess). My GE Smith tele had a big neck, but it's not as wide as the 62HR. I love it...

aleiberman

Thanks, so it is common for CS's to have these larger necks? Also, what about original vintage 60's strats?

AdmiralB

I think it's the biggest neck they put on a non-cs guitar (except for the 52 nocaster, I guess).
That's a CS guitar, right?

Thanks, so it is common for CS's to have these larger necks?
It's not uncommon, but IME most don't. There are quite a few profiles in the CS catalog; the '62 Hot Rod is analogous to the "mid '60s fat C", and I think that is the biggest 'standard' profile for Strats. Some of the V profiles have similar depth but would feel smaller since they have less shoulder.

The early Tele/Nocaster profiles are a little bigger in terms of ultimate depth but also have more shoulder and less runout, i.e. they're fatter 'sooner' in the run from the nut.

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely my favorite Strat neck shape. Love the shape but don't love the finish. If it wasn't so sticky, it would have been perfect for me.

Last month i picked up a 62 Hot Rod Reissue. The guitar is awesome and happy i own one. The neck is huge, probabaly the fattest fender neck i have owned. I do not dislike it, it is just taking time to get used to. With that said, why did fender put this guitar out with such a large neck? Was this neck shape and/or size actually common on a strat in the 60's, or is this model this hot rod model the extreme? Also, is there actually fender necks larger (either vintage or modern)?

Thanks
I would say that the thick neck is one of the non-historically accurate features, along with the fingerboard radius and the fret size. I am no expert but I don't think 1960s Strats had thick necks.

As has been mentioned, the thicker necks tend to be found on CS Telecasters although when they revamped the AVRI line up a few years back the necks on those got thicker. The 50s Baja Telecaster also had a thick neck.

Wildwood Guitars used to sell a line of Stratocasters specially ordered from Fender with neck dimensions like a Nocaster, and these were dubbed "No-neck strats."

Incidentally the GC website currently has a used 62 Hot Rod strat for a low price ($1100) and in an unusual color (ice blue metallic w/ matching headstock). I didn't know that color was ever offered on a 62 Hot Rod strat. Of course there is the possibility that GC simply has the product incorrectly listed on their website.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
The '62 AVRI Strats (at least my '93 '62 Reissue, as the were called back then) has a relatively thin neck (around .80" at the 1st fret). I think part of the 'Hot Rod'ing and appeal of the 62 Hot Rods is the thicker neck. If you don't like it, maybe look for a '62 AVRI? The 62 Hot Rods are popular, so I bet you won't have trouble selling it.

Neon Trotsky

I have a 2012 and the neck is not that fat, previous years may have been thicker.
I have an '09 Hot Rod. Neck thickness measures .890" @ 1st fret, .980" @ 12th.

Some guys won't consider that all that fat really, but I do, and especially for a strat I think most guys would.

Neon Trotsky

Absolutely my favorite Strat neck shape. Love the shape but don't love the finish. If it wasn't so sticky, it would have been perfect for me.
I just steel wool mine, makes it like a satin finish, the gloss returns after about 10-12 hrs of play so I just steel wool it again lol. After 7+ years of doing this, I've run clear through the finish in spots, but the neck feels GREAT.

AdmiralB

I have a 2012 and the neck is not that fat, previous years may have been thicker.
2012..what? That's the first year of the second series, isn't it? Where they were named "Vintage Hot Rod '60s Strat", for example, rather than "Vintage Hot Rod '62 Strat". None of the second series have necks as thick as the first, even the '50s Tele.

73Fender

2012..what? That's the first year of the second series, isn't it? Where they were named "Vintage Hot Rod '60s Strat", for example, rather than "Vintage Hot Rod '62 Strat". None of the second series have necks as thick as the first, even the '50s Tele.
No it's a 62 Hot Rod, pretty sure it is a 2012. I have played one older 62 Hot Rod and the neck felt thicker for sure. That may be the last year for the 62 HR. And the 52 Hot Rod Tele as well..or was it 2013 for that one..think my 52 HR is a 2013 come to think of it. Had some old pics:

John C

Gold Supporting Member
The first series of Hot Rods did run until the middle of 2013; the second series came out in the fall of 2013. Since the second series didn't sell well at all Fender dropped it in November of 2014.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Which might have had something to do with the ~50% price increase...
I totally agree - these went from about $1,600 to $2,300. Of course Fender had just taken about the same increase in going from the old AVRIs (the '57 and '62 Strats) to the new AVs (the '56, '59 and '62 Strats) so they probably felt they had to make the second generation Hot Rods at least as expensive as the AVs. Of course that put the second generation Hot Rods in the same price range as some of the boutique builders, so I'm sure a lot of potential buyers just figured they could get exactly what they wanted from a small builder instead of settling for Fender's specs for their $2,300 - and those who wanted to spend that much on a Fender wanted the vintage specs of the AVs.

AdmiralB

...which is a shame, because IME they were in numerous ways better than their predecessors... I have the '50s Tele, the '60s P-bass, and the '70s J-bass. Bought them at significant discounts.

aleiberman

I have a love hate relationship with my Hot Rod 62 Strat. I absolutely crave the Fat Neck, but then I struggle on it a bit. I'm not sure if it's the finish on the neck or the size itself, or combination of. The pickups, I also have a love hate with. They sound very in your face and tons of midrange, not the smoothest by any stretch, but that's the whole appeal I guess. It's a monster of a Strat, and probably the best way to describe it :)

Now anyone own one of these and had any trouble dialing in the pickup sweet spot? I am.

Thanks!

Neon Trotsky

I have a love hate relationship with my Hot Rod 62 Strat. I absolutely crave the Fat Neck, but then I struggle on it a bit. I'm not sure if it's the finish on the neck or the size itself, or combination of. The pickups, I also have a love hate with. They sound very in your face and tons of midrange, not the smoothest by any stretch, but that's the whole appeal I guess. It's a monster of a Strat, and probably the best way to describe it :)

Now anyone own one of these and had any trouble dialing in the pickup sweet spot? I am.

Thanks!
I remember thinking when I first got my HR, that yeah, the pickups had a VERY bold SRV Texas Blues thing going on. After a few months I put in a Jim Wagner SR pup set which are a much different sounding, much sweeter more nuanced sounding set. But I didn't hate the originals.

Funny thing about boutique pickups; I got a CS '63 reissue strat over the summer (many months of saving lol), it's got the Fender CS 60's (handwired I think) pickups, I actually like them BETTER than the SR's (which by many people's account on this board are the creme-de-la-creme of boutique pickups), ESPECIALLY with a healthy dose of gain/overdrive.

The HR has the bigger sound though, you can hear it unplugged, maybe it's all that extra wood from that big fat neck, or the heavier body, but it just sounds BIG.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom