Fender 63 Vibroverb Brown Reissue ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveS, Apr 3, 2008.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Fender made some PCB reissues of the Brown Vibroverb in the 90s. I'm thinking about picking one up.

Anybody have one ?

Tried one ?

How do they sound ?

I heard the trem/vibrato is quite different from the original...yes..?..no..?

Opinions ?

2. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Fantastic amps! My first true tube amp. My dad bought one when they first came out, sometime around '93. He gave it to me as a high school graduation gift in 2001. I had it for about 4 years and gigged steadily with it as my main and only amp. I was in love with the tremelo! Had such a great throb to it. The 2x10 configuration is also very nice. Sounded great when cranked too. I used a TS and an OCD with great results. I'd love to pick one up again.

3. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

the above. Had one and gigged it three or four years as well in the early 90's. Great trem, took pedals well, good grab 'n go, sounded big. Very reliable, never ever had any problems with it. I only played Strats and Tele through it so can't say how it'd sound w/ 'buckers. There was some lame reason I convinced myself to sell it.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I had one when they first came out - I fell for the vintage cosmetics hook line and sinker.

The stock speakers are awful - farty, small sounding.

Very little headroom before clipping too.

I think with some modding it could be a nice amp, but in it's stock form it doesn't really amount to much.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The stock Oxfords were terrible when they first came out in the early 60's - the 90's reissues were no different.

Headroom problems you speak of were probably tied in with those speakers.

Would be interesting to hear with Celestion Vintage 10's or a good Weber speaker with more headroom and bottom end.

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I had one and it was a great around the house amp with a TS-9. I never gigged it. As I recall, it was an easy amp to improve upon just by tube and speaker swaps - that's all it really needed.

IIRC, there's a lot of info on them over at the Tele page - www.tdpri.com

Stormin!

7. RomanS

RomanS Member

My old guitar teacher, who's also a professional musician with various rockabilly and country bands, has been using the brown Vibroverb reissue as his main gigging amp at least 2 or 3 times a week for the last decade; no mods or repairs except for occasional tube swaps...

8. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I tuned one up, new caps and tubes. I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded.

9. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I have one that I bought from a local professional musician who had toured it since it came out (I bought it about 6-monthes ago) It looks like a real vintage: (he switched to doing Django jazz)

[​IMG]

It sounds great but it really needs better speakers: the stock C10Qs are 'punchy' . . . in my mind too 'punchy'

the Amp breaks up pretty soon, but I don't know about what headroom it would have with another speaker . . . I am about to but in an 8-Ohm 15" standell speaker and see how that works. But the crunch is pretty great if that's what you want.

BUT!! The best thing about this particular Fender is its very ultra fantastic VIBE - as in vibrato - very rich, from subtle to drastic but always sweet!!

10. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

BTW: NOS GE 5881s and GE 12ax7s and its a whole new fantastic beast

11. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I think it's one of the better RI out there, personally. I switched the speakers to Webers on mine, and there is plenty of headroom and it's got amazing clean, reverb and tremolo. These are a great deal if you can find a clean, used one. I use mine for everything, I've gigged with it, even pedal steel gigs, and record with it all the time.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had an old one and I loved it. I used to crank it through an old Marshall 2x12 cab with G12H30's and it ruled in the studio. I did most of our first CD with that setup.

13. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

I had one for a couple of weeks (just bought it to flip it) and had a chance to try it out quite a bit. I'm sure better speakers would help, thought I didn't think the stock oxfords were horrible (these were nicely broken in). What I did think changed it a ton was re-biasing it. They came from the factory biased reaaaaally cold; I had it re-biased and thought it was much warmer,had more headroom and a nicer breakup afterwards. Tremolo is great, very similar to the tremolo on my '63 Tremolux. Reverb is nice up to 2-3, then gets splashy quick.

14. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Had one years ago - great amp for the money! The stock speakers were lame - that was the perceived headroom problem. I'd get another one if I saw one for the right price. Nice reverb & trem!

15. mgunstudios

mgunstudios Member

I Borrowed one from a friend for no good reason and loved it. It's the perfect match for my '66 jaguar. The bias is set RIDICULOUSLY low with the factory resistor. I replaced R58 with a 25k trim pot and adjusted the bias to run slightly under specs for a set of jj 6l6's. Happiness.

16. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

I've had mine for a couple years now. Ditched the Oxfords for 1x Weber 10F150 and 1x Weber 10A125. I'm using a JAN Phillips in V1 and a Tung Sol in v2. Tried the Mullard CV as the 'verb driver, but it was too "pretty". I actually preferred the over-the-top splash of the stock 'Fender' marked tube. I've been meaning to open it up and re-bias for ages, as I'm sure it would make an improvement for not-much-$$$, but I've been lazy as it sounds SO good as-is.

[​IMG]

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

d rasp, that thing looks real clean!

What made you decide to go with one alnico and one ceramic?

18. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

The goal of mixing wasn't really about 1x Al & 1x Ceramic. I watched the forums @ Weber for a while & then spent some time on the phone w/ Ted & his assistant(?) talking about what I was looking for. I kind of hate choosing speakers b/c they're such a huge part of how the amp sounds, but they're not easy to swap around & try dozens, esp. the good ones ($$$).

The 10A125 is bright & sharp & articulate, but breaks up really nice when pushed hard. The 10F150 got picked for it's punchy bass response. The pair works together to provide a killer sound that (for me) covers the range of stuff I play, from twangy rockabilly/cowpunk stuff to huge fuzzy freak-outs. They also work well with the amp's naturally dark-ish character.

edit - I should probably mention that, though I haven't weighed it, the amp is now quite heavy for a 2x10". :) I'll admit there are times when I'd probably rather grab it to go play, but instead take my Tiny Terror & Lopo 1x12" b/c it's light. . .