Fender 63 vibroverb reissue upgrades/ changes, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kurt1981, Jul 1, 2019.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey all, I've got a 63 vibroverb reissue amp that I really like the tone of, but it's lacking in a few areas. I'm not into the sound of 10 speakers, so I've been contemplating changing the baffle to a single 4 ohm 12 speaker. I also wish I could get a touch more clean headroom out of it before it starts to break up, as I play a lot of clean r&b style music. I play single coil guitars, but the amp will start to break up a bit with a band. I thought maybe replacing the output transformer might be able to help with this, but again, I don't know if it's worth the trouble or cost. I like this amp as it's not quite as scooped as many blackface amps so I'm hesitant to unload it unless I can find a replacement that has more headroom and isn't too scooped in the mids.
    Thanks for your suggestions,
    Kurt

2. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

I see three routes:
    • Sell your amp and get a custom 6G16/Brownface preamp built with a quad of 6L6s to get in the 80-100 watt range, new cab with the speaker setup you want
    • Get a load box plus a higher watt power amp type of setup (upcoming Fryette Power Station PS-100 would fit the bill)
    • Change your speakers to something with a more efficient rating and tone you are after, squeeze some more dB out of the amp and hopefully get the desired tone

chumbucket likes this.
  3. woof*

woof* Member

I don’t care for two 10’s either.
    Super Reverb is perfect for me.

4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

Id swap to higher efficiency speakers instead of messing with the OT.

Pedro58 likes this.
  5. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

I've currently got ragin Cajuns in there, so they're pretty efficient already. I thought about swapping out for an efficient 12, but if I only have one speaker versus two, it may be overall less volume.
    Kurt

6. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

It will be. Between a 12 and a pair of 10s of equal efficiency, the 10s will be about 4db louder.

The aggregate cone area is also bigger with two 10s. Bigger shovel, more dirt.

I just checked, your Ragin Cajuns are 100db @ 1w, Golds are 98db. You guys must be loud onstage, my 210 Super Amp with original cones never gets beyond 2 and change, maybe 3 if the drummer is a pounder. 4 was prett f'in' glorious. Once. Didn't get a callback.

Just a thought, have you tried the low gain input? I know that once you hit the output max level is max level, but if there is a current bottleneck ahead of that it may help.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Peppy likes this.
  7. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

Based on 12" speaker and more clean headroom, you may want to think about selling your Vibroverb and looking at a Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville...

8. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I have an idea or two.
    I think that amp is the same size as a Vibrolux Reverb... I used to see someone out playing with a Vibrolux Reverb with one 10 and one 12.

I think the Vibroverb has a Tube rectifier. If it does, you could replace it with a plug-in solid state rectifier (you'll need to check the Bias).

You could have the Voltage dropping resistors replaced with small value to raise voltage to the preamp tubes. (That can clean things up some)

Reduce feedback resistor, and possibly have the phase inverter changed over to blackface or silverface values.

After that, maybe a big Bassman output transformer.

That's all I can come up with. You'll need to get a good Tech to bounce the ideas.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I miss mine. :(

That is all.

underdog726 and Peppy like this.
  10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Messing with the feedback resistor probably won't improve overhead for any given volume, although it's an easy thing to try. It will cut volume while it cuts distortion, so when you get the volume back up, the distortion may not be better.
    If that's a two channel amp, you could pull V1 and plug into the second channel-that bumps the B+ on the preamp tubes and can show if changing voltage might be helpful.
    You could go for a harder set of power tubes although the breakup there is probably mostly preamp.
    You could try a 5751 in V1 or V2-sometimes it'll tighten things up.

kurt1981 likes this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Get a different amp.... I hate to say that because I am a big fan of the '63 Vibroverb Reissue. I've had one for a ten+ years and love it. But, I've kind of drifted towards tweed tonality a little in the past few years.

You might try a tweed Bassman style amp. Fender's two reissues, the Reissue and the LTD are both awesome amps and will stay away from that scooped Blackface sound... With the 4x10 setup and the big open back cabinet, it really fills a room with sound. It spreads quickly and feels and sounds great. The sound is slightly different from the VVRi... But, they both have that Fender thing going on.

If you could find something like a brownface Concert amp, it might be closer to the VVRi, but I have no idea if anyone is building something like that. Maybe try a 6g6 Bassman of some sort? Pair it up with a 2x12 cab?

I agree that the RC speakers are pretty efficient. I had one in a Superchamp and it really punched hard... Eventually it ended up in a Vibrolux Reverb. It went with the amp.

Peppy likes this.
  12. Peppy

Peppy Member

All the things you would need to do it.......I'd move on and get a different amp. I had a new one of those (kept the original speakers in it) when they first came out, so I get the appeal. I don't get modifying it into Plan B.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

New tubes, or mic the amp. You've got efficient speakers in there with the Cajuns... You all must play pretty loud, by modern standards. If you have to go bigger, it will be 2X12 or 4X10. Lots of great options, there, but much heavier. I would not fiddle with the OT unless you could hear or try one first.

14. TimH

TimH Member

Try a bassman head with efficient speakers...not as scooped as most BF/SF amps and more headroom. Also, not very expensive.

15. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Leave the VV alone and get a more appropriate amp.