Fender '64 Custom Hand-Wired Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deadletteroffice, Sep 4, 2017.

1. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Search "Delue Reverb Surf Green". Stock speaker (but the limited editions with various coverings often have a non-typical speaker choice).

Figaro likes this.
  2. Surfguitar

Surfguitar Member

Guys I bought the Amp Brand New from our local Guitar Center on 10/23/17
    and the P12R was the speaker that came with the Amp. I tried to post a
    picture but it won't let me. I guess Fender used a lot of different speakers
    in the Limited Edition Deluxe Reverb. I'm guessing here so under the hood
    on the Hand Wired they use better parts then on like the one that I have.
    So the Reverb and Tremolo should be the same on both and the major
    difference is the PC Board and the speaker. Figaro I was playing in a band
    and I got a Tex saying that I was put out of the band. One guy was telling
    all the others what to play and they got tired of playing 3 and 4 chord songs.
    They play just once a month and I don't need to play with that band. They
    were never going to play out. I play 50's Rockabilly and 60's British Invasion,
    Surf and Folk Rock.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  3. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Yes, Fender has used many different speakers for the reissue Deluxe Reverb, its various limited editions, and the new 64 Custom Deluxe Reverb. The mistake people make (which I've also made before) is assuming the specs of any one variant apply to another variant.

Here we go with assuming: The reverb & tremolo are not the same in both amps. The reverb circuit is the same but applied to both channels (which changes their architecture). The tremolo is not the optoisolator trem found in the DRRI or the original amps, but is a bias-vary tremolo applied to the output tubes (like a blackface Princeton or brown Vibroverb).

Fender Product Page

4. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

I didn't realize it has a bias trem, that now makes it close to Perfect as a small combo , and actually the first two channel amp since the 63 brown vibroverb and the mighty Dual Professional that has that set up,
    BT

5. harvey j

harvey j Member

Why because a lot of players won't admit that it is no better after spending all that money?

Figaro likes this.
  6. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

So did you get your amp? Sorry if I missed you posting about it.

7. JK1965

I’ve seen your posts on this amp. I’ve gotta ask you, how does it sound? I too have a limited edition DR. It’s not the one you have but it’s a fantastic amp. I took it down to Atlanta to my friend who is a very well respected amp tech. He does work for some Huge names in bizz. He fired it up, turned it up to about 7 and let er tip. He got an immediate ear to ear smile on his face and said man this thing sounds great!
    He pulled the chassis and said they used good parts. I talked to him about hand wired vs pcb and he said without hesitation that internet hype would have you believe that hand wired is always better but there was no truth to this at all. He said that some of the absolute best amps that come through his shop are pcb based.
    My point here is if the amp sounds great then it really matters not whether it is HW or has a pcb. Spending a good amount to change it will likely not be worth it and will not change the tone much and may even make it worse. DRRI’s are great amps and they are very reliable work horses. The best mod you can do with these is speakers. Mine has a Celestion A Type which increases headroom and clarity which would be great for 60’s and surf stuff. It also breaks up better.

InkStained, Jabberwocky and Figaro like this.
  8. Surfguitar

Surfguitar Member

JK1965 I'm still learning this Amp and a friend of mine also bought the same Amp
    but not the Limited Edition one. He plays his Les Paul thru his and he told me he
    likes the sound that he gets he also has the reissue 65 Twin Reverb. I do want to
    get a backup set of Tubes and I know there is a lot of good speakers and I'll break
    the speaker in first. When I played in the band I only use the Amp once a month
    at band practice. At home it just sits on the Amp and I very seldom plug the guitar
    into it. I should use the Amp more I'm just never home.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Not yet. Supposedly it was shipped on the 14th. Still waiting!

eddyrox likes this.
  10. eddyrox

eddyrox Member

me toooooo......:oops::oops::oops::(:(:(

11. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I have the 64 and love the stock speaker. In fact, I love everything about this amp.

I have a Two Rock open back cab that is unloaded. I was thinking of putting a GA SC64 in it and running the amp through the cab on occasion.

Two questions.

1. Is the GA SC64 a good speaker option for this setup

2. 8 ohms is the external tap, right?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Has anyone tried jumpering the channels on their '64 custom DR? Generally a big fan of jumpering the two channels.

13. vrdl87

vrdl87 Member

Hi again! Just read this review making me curious as to how noisy the ‘64 is :confused:

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/amplifiers/fender-64-custom-deluxe-reverb/

14. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Honestly I’ll bet it’s down to the tubes. They’re such a crapshoot. I’ve had amps that I thought were noisy and replaced the tubes and boom, sounded great.

joeprs and vrdl87 like this.
  15. GAT

Finally got my '64 HW, killer Deluxe Reverb. Sounds at least as good as the old BF ones I've had. Both channels sound great and using a Friedman DS pedal, I could easily play a gig with it. The speaker sounds great too, and should sound better with some more time on it. I was thinking of putting a Celestion Creme Alnico in it, but now I'm not sure. Anyway, very happy with the amp.

MattH, vrdl87, JK1965 and 1 other person like this.
  16. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! That’s a killer amp.

JK1965 likes this.
  17. JK1965

Yeah the Cream is a great speaker and I'm sure it would be killer in that amp but I'd just play it as is like you said. Break it in good. You can always experiment down the road.

Glad to hear you finally got it! Have fun!

18. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Yay!! About time. Great little amp!! I have been logging more time on it than any amp I own since I got it. Few pedals up front and all my sounds are there. Love it!

vrdl87 and JK1965 like this.
  19. GAT

Yeah, I'm using a Fulltone A/B box to switch channels. I think I'm using the bright channel for humbuckers and the normal for strats/teles. I have 2 Dirty Shirley pedals, one for each channel and I can really nail most of my common tones. I'll use this amp for rehearsals and most gigs that I need a grab and go.

blackba, succor and vrdl87 like this.
  20. Oatie

Oatie Member

So pleased you like it, good to see Fender is still making quality amps.
    Is the reverb tank the same type as the originals?

vrdl87 likes this.