Fender '64 Custom Hand-Wired Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deadletteroffice, Sep 4, 2017.

1. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Would like to know as well!

vrdl87 likes this.
  2. backbreaker

backbreaker Member

I just got one these amps and am trying to go through what is a result of the amp, shipping issues or just not being used to the amp. When the reverb is cranked it rattles the tank and creates a feedback. Is this common with amps like this? I just want to sort out not shipping this thing back (and the hassle that it entails) vs just doing some inspections and knowing that this is the case. Anyone out there can help? My only comparison is a Vibro-King and it is much bigger, much cleaner and strangely, a less intense reverb.

3. Fred_60

Fred_60 Member

Mine is giving similar issues when reverb its cranked. Also significant noises when volume its put to 0 . Weber Mass attenuator cut out them sometimes .
    I would like to know if there are more owners with these troubles .

4. backbreaker

backbreaker Member

I stuffed the cover in the back and it solved the reverb issue. it's like it needs something to keep the casing from vibrating from the intensity. Thanks for chiming in. I have not experienced noises at zero but then again, hard to hear anything after I have had this thing cranked

5. backbreaker

backbreaker Member

Sent mine back today and am going to turn around and try another. Fender rep said that cranking the reverb should not cause such an issue. If the next one has the same problem, I will assume it's an issue with the guitars being married to the amp. I like having to tame things on an amp but like stated previously, it's new expect it to fully function.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I checked out the reverb at high levels on mine and it seems fine. I just use a touch of 'verb anyway.

7. GAT

BTW, super impressed by this amp. I'm leaving the Celestion Alnico Cream in it, sounds great for cleans but really adds something to the OD tones. I'm using the bright channel for a dedicated clean channel and have a delay routed to it. The normal channel is set for a hint of dirt and I route my OD/boost pedals to that channel and an old EM5 for a touch of delay. Great portable rig that can hang at most small/medium gigs.

Unadan and MattH like this.
  8. Figaro

Figaro Member

How much difference is there between the Jensen C12Q and the Celestion alnico cream?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. GAT

I think the C12Q has more of the "Fender" tone and seems a bit ratty if there is a lot of bass. The highs are different too, the C12Q has the nice Fender sparkle and the Cream has more of it, but when playing with a lot of gain, the Celestion is smoother and clearer. The bass seems more solid with the Cream and the mids are more musical. I think the Cream is a little louder (more efficient?) too. I do like the C12Q too but I prefer the more solid, pleasing Cream.

10. backbreaker

backbreaker Member

I was under the impression that the Jensen that was chosen was for the purpose of easier break up (less efficient). Smaller transformer for the same reason. I don't mind the Jensen speakers I have had in my amps

11. Slippery Elm

Slippery Elm Supporting Member

I've seen the cab dimensions on these listed as 12.9" deep.
    Can someone that owns a '64HW confirm if this is true?
    The DRRI's are 9.5" at the bottom.
    Is the new '64 cab actually 3.5ish" deeper?

What's the depth of a vintage cab?

12. Gaspode

Gaspode Member

I have just measured: my '64CDR HW is 23,5cm = 9.25" deep at the bottom, above a little less.
    The official listing is obviously not correct.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  13. Slippery Elm

Slippery Elm Supporting Member

Thanks so much for checking. It seemed like a pretty outrageous change in size but ya never know, and hard to tell in any of the web pics.

14. Gaspode

Gaspode Member

Has anyone already seen a schematic of the 64 CDR HW? Out of pure curiosity I would like to see it.
    Neither at robrobinette.com still at fenderguru.com I have found something so far.
    Maybe it's too early. The market launch was only a few months ago. Does anyone have a tip for me?

15. Chris Winsemius

Chris Winsemius Member

Can't see the back of the pots and so on but it seems that the way of combining both channels is like the 68 custom DR.
    I guess: the bright-channel does have the 47pF brightcap and the normal channel doesn't.

Hope this helps.

16. atomicmoondog

atomicmoondog Member

Now that the honeymoon is over, and these amps have been out there a while, can I get some feedback on how these are holding up? Any reviews?

Considering getting one. My DRRI seems to have lemon syndrome. I need something that I can depend on.
    Thanks!!!!

17. GAT

Still loving mine. Killer vintage Fender tones and rock solid so far.

atomicmoondog likes this.
  18. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Love mine too

19. Musicbox Superhero

Musicbox Superhero Silver Supporting Member

Same here...mine's held up great, no problems at all, and sounds killer!

20. atomicmoondog

atomicmoondog Member

Thanks for the replies!!
    I ordered one. (Put a ring on it, so to speak) I also ordered a Tone King Ironman II attenuator. Both should be here in early June.
    I am going into the studio this summer to begin recording tracks for my next project, and hopefully will be able to use this thing. Looking forward to putting it to the test.