Fender 64 Vibroverb Blackface Custom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone try one of these?

Thoughts?

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'm still kind of up in the air on how I feel about this amp. I have only played one once, and I wasn't totally impressed. I really like the idea of it, and love the fact that it comes with a 15' speaker. I wasn't very taken away with the Diaz mods to it, didn't seem to add very much to me. It sounded ok, but I was more into the Twin 15, it was a little more straight foward for me. I would love to sit down with one and give it another go, but I haven't seen them around much, and new they were just a little too pricey for what it was in my opinion.

3. mbruffey

mbruffey Supporting Member

I play Chet Atkins clean and AB'd the '64 Vibroverb RI and the '65 Twin 15 RI Saturday. I only played the vibroverb for about 2 minutes because it sounded so mushy and spongy--yukky for Chet Atkins Style . . . . I plan to purchase a Twin 15--had a hard time quitting playing that one. If you want clean, you should at least try the '65 Twin 15 RI. It's about half what you are likely to pay for a new '64 Vibroverb RI. If you want grunge, skip the Twin. Mark

4. jzucker

Their reissues sound good but I have serious questions about the reliability...

5. mbruffey

mbruffey Supporting Member

Yeah, I think reliability is an issue to be considered. I've read a bit on both sides (board/ptp). You might read the reviews of the Custom 15 RI on harmonycentral. Some have experienced issues early on but have generally been pleased with the service. Some are working musicians, too. Mark

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

as for the diaz mods- i forget the whole list of them, but under lower volume playing conditions- they probably don't do a lot...

cranked, on the other hand- they'd really make a difference- especially for a guitar with monster strings tuned down half a step...

7. jzucker

I would think when you are playing at loud volumes you just want a plain-old clean fender amp. Not something with all kinds of gain mods.

Didn't Diaz join SRV's camp after the Texas Flood period? Texas Flood was my favorite tone period of Stevie's...

No disrespect towards Diaz but the later tones were more thin than the earlier sounds...

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

the diaz mods on the vibroverb actually reduce gain and increase clean headroom from what I remember.

9. Roe

Roe Member

diaz used a bigger tranny than the new fender does

10. jzucker

What tranny did he use? Doesn't the new one use a bassman sized tranny?

And wait...Diaz wasn't even his tech back in the texas flood days...

11. Roe

Roe Member

no, the new amp uses a small tranny like the original vibro

12. jzucker

The original vibroverb used a huge tranny like a super or bassman.

You're thinking of the vibrolux reverb which used a bandmaster sized tranny

13. Roe

Roe Member

I believe the original vibroverb had a smaller tranny than a super and a bassman - that's why diaz changed to a bigger tranny

14. Roe

Roe Member

the vibroverb seems to have smaller output tranny (35 Watts, 4 Ohms ) than the super reverb (45/50w, 2 ohms) and the bassman (50w, 4 ohms)

15. Roe

Roe Member

mojotone's Blackface Bassman / Super Reverb / Vibroverb Output Transformer is bigger than the original vibroverb tranny mojotone writes: "The 774 is larger than the original Vibroverb but generally considered better. You would have to drill 3 holes to mount it. Improvements include better bottom end handling. If you prefer the smaller original 2 hole mount transformer you could go with the vibrolux tremolux output MOJO770. "

16. jzucker

Thanks Roe. I believe David Allen makes a bassman size OT that fits into the fender 2-hole mount...

17. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I always thought the thing to do for old blackface vibroverbs was to put a twin OT in there.

That's what I had in mine. :dude

It sounded just like El Mocambo!

18. Matt H

Matt H Guest

the original vibroverb tranny was in the ballpark of the pro/bandmaster size range (but with an 8 ohm tap).

many people replaced them with bassman or twin (for the right impedance match with 8ohm speaker) for more bass.

19. jzucker

Thanks for the correction Matt.