Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Re-issue vs. Original 70s Silverface Model.

Custom50

Hi all, I've been GASing for a deluxe for a little while now and I've decided to get one. i was wondering if my best bet would be to get a new '65 Reissue or to track down a silverface model from the 70s? The silverface can usually be had for just a little more, and I'm thinking it will be better built, but i don't know much about fender amps, so i was hoping to get some advice.

slopeshoulder

Get a pre master volume one. Or maybe it's pull boost ypu want to avoid/disable. I forget. Anyway, get it "blackfaced."
You'll be happy.

BudLite

Silver Supporting Member
Spend a little extra and buy a silverface. The drri a pc nightmare and the SFDR is a handwired amp...

re-animator

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here. An SFDR is gonna have a ton of miles on it and is likely to need a cap job and probably has speakers that are on the edge of collapse.... and god knows what else. If you're a studio pro or a home player, a SF might be worth the extra trouble for the tone/mojo, but if you play out alot, the last thing you wanna worry bout is a 30+ year old amp.

I don't really understand how people can say that the SF fenders are gonna be more reliable than the reissues.... I don't give a hoot how much "better made/easier to repair" they are.

Imagine somebody telling you that they've got a '68 mustang. Remember, those well-made solid-steel muscle cars that are built so that anybody can work on them??

well since it came off the lot, it has passed through several hands and its got 170,000 miles and its on its 2nd transmission.

Now imagine that next to a '98 toyota supra (for our purposes, the non-turbo version :) ). Despite its aluminum construction, the track record for reliability is pretty good. These cars are often seen on the road, and aren't prone to many problems. They are a little more difficult to repair than the do-it-yourself mustangs are, but are less likely to need repair.

all things considered, you may get marginally better performance from the old mustang, but its better for showrooms and 1/4 mile tracks than daily driving. For the majority of drivers, the supra would be a smart choice.

Custom50

hm, a good point, I have onwed 2 vintage fenders in my time, one of which saw alot of raod time, it worked great for the time I had it, although, I don't know if the previous owner recapped it or any of that stuff. I know it ha da speaker swap. So, you have a good point.

Trending Topics