Fender 65 Princeton Reverb Navy Blues Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FPS1453, Apr 26, 2016.

1. FPS1453

FPS1453 Member

Dear all, thinking about getting a Princeton Reverb for quite a while now, and wondering how the Alnico Blue speaker in the new limited edition would alter the tone of a Princeton compared to the regular (Jensen) speaker.

2. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

You'll hear more mids, for one thing. Might be a good thing...or not. Certainly will not sound like the stock 10".

3. FPS1453

FPS1453 Member

Thanks. Not much of mids fan here. So what would be a quality upgrade to the stock speaker that wouldn't bring out more mids?

4. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

I disagree. But only because the stock Jensens in the RI are so bad. Personally I think the blue flavor in BF amps works very well. Especially with OD pedals. I had a Weber Blue Dog in my BF Deluxe for years. It's easy to EQ it back into BF territory.

I'm guessing between the stock RI and the Blue version, the blue would win out with people 75% of the time.

5. padavis

padavis Member

My dad picked up a sweet Navy Blues. I REALLY like this amp. I am seeking info out on the PRRIs in general now. Anyone feel like the PRRIs are warmer/middier than a DRRI in general? Or... is that just the product of the Blue? I also feel like the 68 Custom Princeton I have sounded pretty close to the Blues but maybe a bit more volume in general... THat might be crazy though... I need to get them in the same room... the bass can be taken OUT of the PRRI Navy Blue too where the 68 Custom feels like you can take it off and its still pretty bassy haha