Fender 65 Strat vs. American Standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by UrbanHymns, May 26, 2015.

1. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I'm interested in getting a Stratocaster and thought that a Std. MIA would be "good enough" for me at $1300. But a buddy of mine recently bought a '65 AV Reissue, which sounds killer and retails for about $2300.

Has anyone else compared these two? I'm wondering if the '65 is really worth the extra $1000 or whether some modest upgrades to a Standard American can close the gap.

2. 73Fender

73Fender Member

First of all I'd think you should be able to get both cheaper. Especially that price on the 65..way high.

They are really apples and oranges to some degree. Vintage vs modern. I have two American Standards (2010 and 2012) and a 62 Hot Rod. I could be very happy with just one of the American Standards. I'd try to find a minty used one..save a bundle.

That said I have heard that the 65s are excellent. You need to play them.

3. zwolf

zwolf Member

I LOVE my 1965 AVRI. I set out to get a strat and played every model I could find. This was the only one that spoke to me tonally; it also had the best neck I could find.

But, it's an individual preference thing. Price-wise I was able to get mine for $1780 (IIRC) from GC....

4. kenneth

kenneth Member

There are SO MANY used strats on the market, so I would also recommend to find a used on in nice shape.

theonlychrisj likes this.
  5. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Theres are some major differences. I dont think "upgrades" will get American as "good" as vintage.

Id say biggest difference is fret board radius and fret size. I prefer a more modern flatter radius. The vintage guitar may be more difficult to bend strings on or to get action as low as youd like.

However the guys that like avri really like em. I dont think one is better than the other. I think avri costs more because of vintage marketing.

Like poster above stated..play both if you can.

If unable to play Id go with the more vanilla american standard. They have nice "fifties" pickups and can get vintage sounds just fine.

Good luck.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

This '65 is one of the nicest production Strats FMIC has ever made, but I agree with the above post. This is not about which is better value - this is about which model, with which features, is best suited to you and your style of play.

7. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Boris, do you own an American Vintage '65? Sounds like it's got your approval.

8. Defendant

Defendant Member

Very different necks. 65 would be my preference. But I'm not you.

9. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

They are so different, its hard to even compare them.

Significantly larger neck on the 65
    7.25" Radius on the 65
    Vintage Frets on the 65
    Much more vintage tone on the 65

Nothing wrong with the Am Std, but for most people if you are looking for your typical classic/vintage Strat sound the 65 is it.
    On the other hand, many people cant deal with the vintage radius and fretwire on the 65 either, so, basically, only you can decide if those are dealbreakers for you.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I've played I think 6 of them now, but I'm pledged not to buy anything right now. This is the USA Strat model that consistently knocks my socks off, notwithstanding that I prefer a thicker neck. These are just "all that". :^)

I've got a CS '60 Time Machine I've had for a while and I'd be hard pressed to insist that it is nicer than these '65s.

11. omfg51

omfg51 Member

It's all in the nitro. You can swap pickups, electronics, tuning machines, bridge hardware, the actual bridge (block), but when it comes down to it, that AVRI will out-sing (resonate musically) any Am Std strat you put next to it.

12. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

for $2,300 you could have yourself a Danocaster strat...

omfg51 likes this.
  13. omfg51

omfg51 Member

This is also 100% true, simply depends on whether or not you like relic'd guitars. Dan's stuff is some of the most attractive I've ever witnessed in my life.

14. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I picked up two AVRI 65's, mint but used, (one Oly White and one Shoreline Gold), for the price of one new one. GREAT guitars for the money. When set up properly, (to my specs that is), they are as every bit as good as my Custom Shop Strats. I do have some Ron Ellis pickups sitting around, so I'm going to give them a spin in the Gold one:)

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  15. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Yes, the 65 AVRI is an amazing Strat, if you like the vintage fretboard radius and frets. Fender's QC is high these last few years. Production line guitars are really nice lately!

16. source field

source field Member

American Standard is more versatile to modern playstyle (funk, modern-rock, fusion, shred, etc.). Go with the 65 AVRI if you want more classic features.

17. dlegolpol

dlegolpol Member

First of all I'd think you should be able to get both cheaper.
    [​IMG]

18. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

That's good to know and that comparison is a nice compliment to the AV '65.

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I agree that your quoted prices are high, not all Strats are created equal and each individual one should be judged on its own merits. Wood is inherently inconsistent and I've played dogs & gems at all price points. Kick the tires and believe in what your own ears & hands tell you.

20. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Buying a strat is like buying a shirt: pick the one you feel more comfortable with, and don't care about other's opinion, their taste might be very different!