Fender(?) 66(?) Mustang

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RodR, Mar 28, 2015.

1. RodR

RodR Member

Hey guys, just got this body and neck (needs refret badly) plus some parts for cheap. I want to restore it to a playable condition and keep as close as I can to original. Any tips about this? Does this look like an old fender mustang to you?
    I appreciate all your comments!

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

That's a '66 Mustang. Needs a little love.
    Did you get the pickups or just the covers?

3. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Hah, the real thing. At 1st I thought you were going to show a particle board servicemen special or something.

That thing was played.
    Love the 'scalloped' neck.
    Probably be real comfy once the frets and action are sorted out.
    [​IMG]

4. RodR

RodR Member

yeah, it's been played out a lot from the 1st to 9th frets, looks like the previous owner never went further than that!. Unfortunately no electronics other than the switches, those are just the pickup covers :/

5. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

That's bad**s! I look forward to seeing it after you get everything sorted, it's a beaut!

6. RodR

RodR Member

thank Ilduce, it's gonna take a while probably since It is in such bad shape! looks like it has been painted over and over about three times with different colors, I wonder if the original finish it's down there or if it was stripped. Other than that electronics and refretting are the main things, the rest should be easy, tuners and neckplate...

7. Gevalt

Gevalt Supporting Member

CBS frets were installed from the side, with a big machine that slid them all in at once.
    If this were mine, and I don't know much, I would gently remove all the frets, and plane the fretboard to the original radius, but feel free to keep as much mojo as you can stand. Nice guitar. I'm surprised a '66 has a Pat. Pend. tailpiece.

8. RodR

RodR Member

I'd like to keep the fretboard as it is, as long as new frets can be installed. Maybe the tailpiece or the body are from an earlier mustang? Maybe it was a leftover tailpiece they used in the factory, hard to tell I think

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I had read a description by someone who observed fretting at the factory- From what I recall the frets were installed one at a time by an operator at a table. They had a little shoe that fit over the fret and guided it and the shoe was pulled by a cable connected to a foot lever. I'm sure the slots were all done at one time.

Mustang pickups are essentially Strat pickups with flat poles. If you don't want to spend the time or money to source a reproduction, or the real thing, you could make most Strat pickups work. Fender cut a second piece of top flatwork and put it over the poles so that the top of the bobbin would be flat. You could do that to a Strat pickup or find one Like a Tex Mex or USA Standard and push the poles flat.

10. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

True.

[​IMG]

11. RodR

RodR Member

Thanks for the nice info sweetfinger, I think I'll go with some lower resistance strat pickups for this project. I still need to find a good tech nearby for the refret.

12. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

I had a 1965 Mustang for awhile. It had the worst tremolo bridge I've ever experienced. I'm sure plenty of Mustang guys will say I just didn't know how to set it up, but for a beginner's guitar, the bridge was a terrible feature.

I'd love to build one today though... with a different bridge.

13. Gevalt

Gevalt Supporting Member

Thanks for correcting me! I want one of those fretting shoes.

14. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Looks like a true slab-body '66 Mustang.
    Routes and neck pockets often tell the story...and this one looks to have been Daphne Blue when new.
    She'll take some work and some money, but it can live again.
    It all depends on what paint was used, how many layers there are (white at one time?) and how it was stripped...if it was...at one time.

15. RodR

RodR Member

Looks like under the current color there is a coat of cream, and then the blue, and then who knows? I'll find out when I have the time, hopefully soon.