Fender '68 Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duaneallen, May 20, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

OK, I done some reading on this amp, and have seen this mentioned a bit, but still have some questions. I've played this amp a few times, and really like the overall sound, and features. I definitely hear a noise coming through it while sitting idle though. I've heard this in every one that I've played. I compared it back to back to the regular '65 reissue, and none of the '65s do this. What is the deal? Its a kind of white noise. I'm wondering if this is a problem for those of you who have these amps, and if so, have you fixed the problem. I know that you can't hear it while you're playing, but there's got to be something wrong with this amp for it to do this. I can't believe that I don't see much talk about this. I'm not a bedroom player, and do lots of recording, and this noise is unacceptable. What am I missing here? Has this problem since been fixed?

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

It's been discussed a lot. Some people say rotating the reverb tank cures it, some say new tubes...

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

It's because of the reduced negative feedback. One resistor to change.

4. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Anyone else? I've seen differing opinions on this. Do all of these amps have this noise?

5. jblake

jblake Member

My 68 CDR had pretty significant idle noise and some intermittent crackling/hiss out of the box. Both were remedied with a tube swap. I narrowed the idle noise down to a preamp tube, and the crackling was caused by a rectifier tube that appeared to have been damaged in shipping (loose pieces of spacer rattling around).

Edit: I just noticed the age of this thread. Just searching as I ponder replacing the 68 with a 65 RI.