Fender 68 Custom DR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnnyg88, Mar 20, 2015.

1. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 Member

Hey guys,

I've had a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb for a couple weeks and I really dig how it sounds. Unfortunately, it breaks up really soon, around 4/5 on the dial. It doesn't produce a very loud clean tone. Would I benefit from stepping up to the 68 Custom Vibrolux? Or will it still break up at a low volume?

Other options include either going with a 65 DRRI and replace the speaker and clip the vibrato channel bright cap (although I really dig the 68 Custom DR's "custom channel"). OR I can have the 68 Custom amp modded and bring the "reduced negative feedback" up, perhaps closer to stock DR numbers?

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be great!

Thanks!

2. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I use a Cannibus Rex speaker which makes it noticeably louder due to it's efficiency. Depending on your taste a Wizard is even louder with a british vibe if you dig the stock celestion V speaker. Also I like to use a Mullard AT7 (C400**?) in V1 and V2 although I would like to Try the JJ5751's

The Mullards sound good though. The AT7's change the break up a bit on the dial and makes it easier to dial in the sweet spot of compression and low end before it overdrives. This in conjunction with a more efficient speaker, solved those issues for me.

3. Roe

Roe Member

try the vibrolux or twin. E

4. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

I would leave the 12ax7 in V1, use a 12at7 in the phase inverter (like the chart says). I would also turn the amp up even higher and back off the volume knob on your guitar. I was introduced to the knobs on my guitar by a bandmate several years ago. I used to leave them full up all the time. There is an infinite range of color and texture that can be dialed in. It will make you crazy though!!

5. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

ditto what jcarpenter said. CRex or a Wizard will get you more clean headroom. My DRRI is all stock and was bought used. The C12K was well broken in and stays clean at 4/5, even with humbuckers. Early DRRI's that I had put Weber 12F150 and California's in had extra clean loud volumes too.

6. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Use an at7 or ay7 in v2 and see if that breaks up at the right volume.

Also, why not buy an actual drip edge vibrolux or twin, they cost less than the 68 customs?

7. e???

e??? Member

I'd go vibrolux or twin. That 68 series is so cool. I think Joe Bonamossa was right when he said "probably the best amps Fender has done in 40 years". The Vibrolux sounds good, and it's portable enough for gigging. The twin would be awesome if you have a practice space/studio and it was not gonna move from there much, and you could be really loud there, or if you had roadies. But it stinks having to call bandmates or friends to move your amp or risk back damage. Even at just 65 pounds, it's just too heavy and awkward to move by yourself. You could try messing with tube swaps, but what bugs me about that is that it's not really how the amp was designed. And after tube swaps and rebiasing I bet the $ difference would be simiair to just upgrading to the vibrolux.

Plus Roy Buchanan played one...

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I have had the 68 Vibrolux for a couple of weeks now. I definitely recommend trying it out to see if it scratches the itch. I love mine.

9. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

You can put a lower gain tube in the preamp slot for that channel. But sometimes I found that I just have to turn it up louder to get the volume I want ..and I achieve a similar result.

Did you try the '68 Custom Vibrolux? I would! I tried one a couple months ago and loved it! But didn't A-B to a '68 Custom Deluxe reverb

10. ZekeBrown

ZekeBrown Member

CRex sounds great in mine.

11. spiral

spiral Member

+1 & +1

12. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I recently bought the 68 custom DR specifically because it does break up earlier. I bet a Vibrolux or Twin would be great for you!

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Change the negative feedback resistor to the same value as the one in the DRRI. It won't break up as early and this will also reduce the hiss sound at idle. The Custom channel has different capacitor so it will still sound fatter than the DRRI's Vibrato channel.

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I don't get why 90% of guitarists get all hot and bothered over overdrive. Clean is where it's at, man.

15. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I got a chance to demo the '68 CDR amp again today. It brings a LOT of value for the money and has classic fender sound. A few observations;

1. It sounds best (to me) at volume 5 ..which is reasonably loud, yet has a nice bit of bark and grind when I dig in. Very cool.
    2. The first channel is fatter and has a little more breakup at the same volume.
    3. Love that you can get reverb and Trem on the first channel
    4. THe Normal channel is a bit brighter, but well balanced. Nice sounds.
    5. The treble is a bit harsh and edgy. That could be a matter of tubes and a speaker that needs to break in.

All in all, a great amp. Especially good value for the money. But tonally, I did feel it was a bit forward, slightly harsh in the upper mids and highs.
    a little bit noisy at 5 on the volume knobs, but nothing terribly offensive.