Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb goodness

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking at Princeton Reverbs for a while and quickly realized vintage models were way out of my price range. I decided that one of the reissues would be a better option.
I was recently at a guitar shop that had both a '65 and a '68 Custom in stock. Finally I was able to compare the two side by side. While I didn't think they sounded all that different, I preferred the sound coming from the '68 Custom.
Not in the position to shell out 900 bucks for a new one, I decided to start checking the local craigslist listings. I found someone selling one in immaculate condition for 600. The guy was really nice and gave me a great deal. He came down to 560 and threw in an amp stand, too.
It sounds fantastic! It is the perfect volume for playing around the house and working on recordings. I'm really excited about this amplifier! Anyone else a fan of these?

64 Tele

I was like you....I wanted to compare the two before deciding. I'd had a vintage 1964 PR
from 1982-2001 time frame and figured I would prefer the '65 RI.
After comparing them for nearly an hour with one of my own guitars/pedal board, I went home
with the 68 Custom. It's definitely different sounding than the '65 RI, but I preferred it too.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I was like you....I wanted to compare the two before deciding. I'd had a vintage 1964 PR
from 1982-2001 time frame and figured I would prefer the '65 RI.
After comparing them for nearly an hour with one of my own guitars/pedal board, I went home
with the 68 Custom. It's definitely different sounding than the '65 RI, but I preferred it too.
Cool. What's your opinion on how the reissues comepare to your old '64?

67super

I needed an amp in this size range and I like Fender, I currently gig a couple of vintage DRs. A dealer near me was having a blowout sale so I got to try them side by side. In the store I actually liked the 68 better but thought they were both great. The prices were to good and I bought them both. When I gig I like to have a backup that is close to my main amp so I figured what the hell. I paid $625 for the 65 prri and $720 for the 68 CPR.

Now that I have had them a couple months and have gigged and so on here is what I think. I didn't like the stock speakers pretty quickly and started searching. I have ended up for now with a Rajun Cajun in the 65 and a WGS G10C in the 68. I am very happy with them. I also thought the 68 was to bassy above 5 (a common complaint) on the volume no matter what I did. It turns out that fender has raised the bass floor on the 68. So I modified it to undo this, which is easy to do and easily undone just in case you need warranty work. I will put a link below to what I did. The main difference at this point is I feel the 68 breaks up with a little more rasp than the 65. They both sound warm and take pedals nicely. I am very happy with these amps.

Here is a link to the bass mod description:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...om-princeton-reverb-to-much-bass-mod.1739491/

Last edited:

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking at Princeton Reverbs for a while and quickly realized vintage models were way out of my price range. I decided that one of the reissues would be a better option.
I was recently at a guitar shop that had both a '65 and a '68 Custom in stock. Finally I was able to compare the two side by side. While I didn't think they sounded all that different, I preferred the sound coming from the '68 Custom.
Not in the position to shell out 900 bucks for a new one, I decided to start checking the local craigslist listings. I found someone selling one in immaculate condition for 600. The guy was really nice and gave me a great deal. He came down to 560 and threw in an amp stand, too.
It sounds fantastic! It is the perfect volume for playing around the house and working on recordings. I'm really excited about this amplifier! Anyone else a fan of these?
I've had a '76 SFPR since new, and have been interested in the 68 CDR (Custom Deluxe Reverb) or the 68 CPR. Does your 68 CPR have a hiss (from the reduced negative feedback)?

This would drive me nuts when playing at home; the '76 SFPR is quiet. Have heard this as a common complaint with the CDR and CVR. (fixable by an amp tech)

67super

I've had a '76 SFPR since new, and have been interested in the 68 CDR (Custom Deluxe Reverb) or the 68 CPR. Does your 68 CPR have a hiss (from the reduced negative feedback)?

This would drive me nuts when playing at home; the '76 SFPR is quiet. Have heard this as a common complaint with the CDR and CVR. (fixable by an amp tech)
No hiss to speak of. The 68 CDR has some additional hiss but IMO the change in negative feedback to the 68 CPR hasn't noticeably added any noise.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
No hiss to speak of. The 68 CDR has some additional hiss but IMO the change in negative feedback to the 68 CPR hasn't noticeably added any noise.
Thanks 67. What didn't you like about the CPR stock (Celestion) spkr that the WGS fixed?

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member

I have not noticed any hiss.

67super

Thanks 67. What didn't you like about the CPR stock (Celestion) spkr that the WGS fixed?
I liked right away but noticed with certain guitars I thought it was to bass heavy when driven to distortion. I have mad a simple mod to address that. Right now I have a WGS in it and like it.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Have you played it with a humbucker guitar with the volume above 4? I had to turn the Bass control all the way down when I did this to keep the speaker from farting out.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
Have you played it with a humbucker guitar with the volume above 4? I had to turn the Bass control all the way down when I did this to keep the speaker from farting out.
I don't use my humbucker guitar very often. I will have to check that out.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
Got one when they came out, been through the ringer with speakers, tubes, etc. Ultimately I settled on the following mods for the amp:

-Chinese 12ax7 tube in v1 - for added brightness
-MOD Long Decay reverb tank
-Eminence Blue Frame Alnico 10" speaker

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
Had that amp a couple times in my buying history, haha. I was happy with the sound. However, my tolex job was bad on both amps...three of them actually, because I exchanged one. The first had crooked cutting on the tolex near the chassis straps on the top of the amp. I eventually sold it to fund something else, not because of the tolex work though. I thought I wanted the amp back, but the next had black putty on the corners to cover up bad tolex work (There was a fingerprint on it! Really?! I exchanged that one), and the next had a scratch down the back panel which was also covered...more subtly with black putty.

I think these amps are MIM. They have a very good sound, which is the main thing, really. Maybe in a few years they'll get their Mexican plant used to making amps cleanly. There are a lot of people who don't really care about attention to detail, especially with aesthetics. I kind of wish I didn't pay attention to little things like that. Main thing is that you like the amp! If I didn't care to look/inspect the amp, I might still have it today. :) It passed the ear inspection, so I guess that's the main thing.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
Had that amp a couple times in my buying history, haha. I was happy with the sound. However, my tolex job was bad on both amps...three of them actually, because I exchanged one. The first had crooked cutting on the tolex near the chassis straps on the top of the amp. I eventually sold it to fund something else, not because of the tolex work though. I thought I wanted the amp back, but the next had black putty on the corners to cover up bad tolex work (There was a fingerprint on it! Really?! I exchanged that one), and the next had a scratch down the back panel which was also covered...more subtly with black putty.

I think these amps are MIM. They have a very good sound, which is the main thing, really. Maybe in a few years they'll get their Mexican plant used to making amps cleanly. There are a lot of people who don't really care about attention to detail, especially with aesthetics. I kind of wish I didn't pay attention to little things like that. Main thing is that you like the amp! If I didn't care to look/inspect the amp, I might still have it today. :) It passed the ear inspection, so I guess that's the main thing.
Yeah, that kind of sloppy work bugs me. I think they did ok on this one. Haven't noticed anything like that.

64 Tele

I would also like to know how they compare.
The 65 RI is "close" to what my 64 PR sounded like....but a little too bright and sterile.
The 68 Custom is fuller sounding and less bright than my 64 PR was (as I remember.....I sold that amp in 2001).
I think the weak point of the 68 Custom PR is the stock speaker. I think Fender cut corners with the stock speaker
on this amp. Haven't figured out what (if anything, though) I'd replace it with at this point.
I've got the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, too. I really think the stock speaker in that amp is much better than the
stock 68 PR comes with (not withstanding the 10" vs. 12" difference).
Hope this helps......

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
Had a chance to try it yesterday with my buddy's Explorer. I think it has Burstbuckers in it. I had to turn the volume down quite a bit from where I've been using it with my Strat and Jazzmaster. The amp definitely isn't made for metal!

Trending Topics