Fender 68 Deluxe Rev. reissue

stringgears

Anyone tried one of these amps up against the 65 Fender BF reissue ?....if you have or even if you haven't but have tried the 68.....what do you think about them ?

stringgears

Just an FYI... the 68 Series amps are not reissues, they’re “Custom” models. Sorry to the that guy.

Carry on. :aok
Yes, I do realize that they are not reissues...I have read some on them...and I should have said that in the post. I have owned a 65 reissue in the past. I have never tried this 68 model....and was wondering if people that have ...like them more or less than the reissues and why .

8len8

I tried a 65 RI against a 68 CDR a few months ago at Chicago Music Exchange. From what I remember the 65 just didn’t take OD pedals as well. It sounded more harsh. I ended up going home with the 68 CDR and have no regrets.

AndyBurns

I've tried the whole range and I like them. They are a lot darker than the 65' one's and break up at a lower volume, they are also noisier. The 68 custom Deluxe reverb was my favorite of the range. Seemed to have to best balance of tone, and sounded sooo good with pedals. In a band situation however, I found the amp to be too squishy and break up too early to be enjoyable. I've since replaced it with a super reverb. Great amp for jamming at home though.

8len8

A lot of people complain about them being noisy.
Yeah, the feedback in the circuit was changed, and that increased the noise floor. If you’re handy with a soldering iron you can change the value of the one resistor to its original value and eliminate the problem.

Also, in some the reverb tank is mounted wrong. Simple to change its orientation to help reduce the noise further.

64 Tele

I'd previously owned for nearly 20 years, a 1964 and 1966 Deluxe Reverb.
When I went looking at getting another Deluxe Reverb, I A/B'd the 65 RI and the 68 Custom
at a local mom and pop store with my favorite Strat.
I was intrigued by the two different sounding channels on the 68 and having reverb/tremolo on both channels.
A concern was that I'd read that the amp had a fair amount of baseline hiss.
The one I tried at the mom/pop store was dead silent and was warmer sounding than the 65.
I "thought" I'd probably go home with a 65 RI, but instead took home the 68 Custom.
I'd go that same route again in a heartbeat, but I'd probably once again try to play one in person due to hiss issue.
Jumping the two channels and blending them (like on a 4 hole Marshall) is where the amp really shines. Can't do that on the 65 RI due to phase issues.

blueslover

Silver Supporting Member
I HATE the DRRI 65, I’ve had several and every time wondered why I bought one and immediately sold it. can’t take a pedal to save its life, my buddy has one and he likes it, fizz city at lower volumes and just not a fan. Fender supersonic is also a great option, I only sold my 60W when I got my TRs

the 68 sounds a lot better to me and I like darker amps anyways. It’s voiced how I like and with a strat much better, also takes pedals better, I’m glad they have the 68 as an option now, to me I’d buy one, a 65, never again. Not to say it’s a bad amp, but for me not a good choice

ablue

Gold Supporting Member
I'd previously owned for nearly 20 years, a 1964 and 1966 Deluxe Reverb.
When I went looking at getting another Deluxe Reverb, I A/B'd the 65 RI and the 68 Custom
at a local mom and pop store with my favorite Strat.
I was intrigued by the two different sounding channels on the 68 and having reverb/tremolo on both channels.
A concern was that I'd read that the amp had a fair amount of baseline hiss.
The one I tried at the mom/pop store was dead silent and was warmer sounding than the 65.
I "thought" I'd probably go home with a 65 RI, but instead took home the 68 Custom.
I'd go that same route again in a heartbeat, but I'd probably once again try to play one in person due to hiss issue.
Jumping the two channels and blending them (like on a 4 hole Marshall) is where the amp really shines. Can't do that on the 65 RI due to phase issues.
I unboxed a Custom 68 demo from Sweetwater today and it is perfect . I put a 8 ohm Hot Plate on top so I can turn it up and it grinds esp with the Celestion speaker. It maintains the trad Fender sound on the vintage side and is still more touch sensitive. I won’t change anything about it. Had a ultra clean silver face with all RCA tubes modded with effects on both channels and variable negative feedback and I liked it cranked up a lot . This saved me a trip to the tech . Might put some anos preamp and reverb tubes at some point. The plywood cab is heavier than pine but it won’t be traveling much.The speaker is not going anywhere but have some extension cabs to try. I like the look also .

Last edited:

8len8

The 68 is pretty simple to mod, too, with several good sites out there describing options.

MoBigBro

Gold Supporting Member
One more "Yes" vote for the CDR:
I also had set out to buy a DRRI and ended up with the CDR because of its versatility.
With an ABY pedal, this is all you need: Clean Tone, Driven Tone, Both together, Trem, Reverb: No pedals needed.

With that said: If you know yourself well enough that the baseline hiss will drive you crazy, don't get this amp. When the custom channel is set for a Driven tone, the hiss is there on both channels. It is un-noticable as soon as you start to play, but...

Cheers,
MoBigBro

elicxirmixer

I have a DRRI, bright cap clipped. The other guitarist in our band has the 68 Reissue Alessandro handwired. We both have GA-SC64 speakers installed.
To us, they sound extremely similar. They both give the Fender scooped goods at band volume.

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
CDR - no bright cap, less negative feedback (in the circuit) than DRRI so breaks up at lower volume but higher noise floor. reverb and trem work on both channels, the custom channel's tone stack is less scooped than the vintage channel. stock celestion V-type speaker.

DRRI - bright cap on the vibrato channel, reverb and trem only work on the vibrato channel. tone stack the same on both channels (except bright cap). stock jensen speaker

Trending Topics

Top Bottom