Fender ‘68 Vibro Champ Reverb

ToneProspector

I think one of the offerings from Weber could be a nice alternate to the good sounding stock speaker. Based on past demos of multiple Weber 8" speakers I've tried I'm leaning towards their Signature 10 for the new VCR since I like the Signature8 (Sig8) so much that's currently in my '79 VC. The nice thing about the Signature series is that it not only has sparkle, but it can handle digging in without farting out.

Has anyone tried a replacement speaker yet? After reading comments and reviews about the stock speaker (not favorable mostly) I’m thinking when I get mine (on order) I will try something from Weber, primarily because it’s difficult to find 4 ohm 10 inch speakers, and I love Weber speakers, maybe a DT10 or and A125 or C125 type.

Chris Vee

I’m taking forever to order a new speaker. I’m leaning towards a WGS G10C. I had a10” Weber in my old PRRI and it was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I’d rather try something different this time. Thing is... I’m not in much of a rush, the stock speaker is really not bad! The only reason I’m thinking about it is because looking at specs there are “better” speakers. So it makes me wonder if a better speaker will make this great sounding amp even better!

brewbaker

Silver Supporting Member
I think one of the offerings from Weber could be a nice alternate to the good sounding stock speaker. Based on past demos of multiple Weber 8" speakers I've tried I'm leaning towards their Signature 10 for the new VCR since I like the Signature8 (Sig8) so much that's currently in my '79 VC. The nice thing about the Signature series is that it not only has sparkle, but it can handle digging in without farting out.
I’ve used several of the Signature series models and they sound great once broken in. Can’t beat the price either. Problem is, the 10s are only available in 8 ohm. Perhaps something from the Vintage series, lots of choices.
Since I don’t have the amp yet I’m wondering if there are any space limitations to the depth for speaker placement.

ToneProspector

I’ve used several of the Signature series models and they sound great once broken in. Can’t beat the price either. Problem is, the 10s are only available in 8 ohm. Perhaps something from the Vintage series, lots of choices.
Since I don’t have the amp yet I’m wondering if there are any space limitations to the depth for speaker placement.
I was not aware of them not offering a 10" in a 3.2 or 4 ohm. Thanks for that info. Maybe they'll make one since this new amp has been released...

Dindude

So I’ve tried a WGS G10C in the VCR, I didn’t give it huge amount of time but overall I prefer the stock Celestion.

The WGS definitely had some attributes - clearer sound, reverbs and delays sounded bigger, but it didn’t have as much bottom end as the stock speaker (which was a surprise), and it was kinda fuzzy with drive sounds and somehow smaller sounding overall - also didn’t give a big kick in volume despite it being a more efficient speaker. I could ha e given it a bit more break in time but word is that this speaker doesn’t change dramatically from the first hour or so.

Fender seem to know what they’re doing after all.

MIke MM

So I’ve tried a WGS G10C in the VCR, I didn’t give it huge amount of time but overall I prefer the stock Celestion.

The WGS definitely had some attributes - clearer sound, reverbs and delays sounded bigger, but it didn’t have as much bottom end as the stock speaker (which was a surprise), and it was kinda fuzzy with drive sounds and somehow smaller sounding overall - also didn’t give a big kick in volume despite it being a more efficient speaker. I could ha e given it a bit more break in time but word is that this speaker doesn’t change dramatically from the first hour or so.

Fender seem to know what they’re doing after all.
" Fender seem to know what they’re doing after all"

I started playing guitar during the early 80's and by the mid 80's, it seemed like a dark time for Fender. (2 knob Stat with flat jack :( )

But they seem to be hitting it on all cylinders now : Tone Masters, GTX, Micro, 68 custom VC.
Just great stuff.

rwtfender

Do the typical fender blackface pedals work with this amp? (Klone, Bluesbreaker & Tubescreamer) anyone have favorite drives yet?

MIke MM

Sorry for this stupid question. (posting her as well)

I returned my first VC because there was a problem with hissing when I turned up the reverb. The second VC came and doesn't have that issue.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and am noticing for the first time a low humming. I know one tube amps have this problem, but this is the first time I'm noticing it, and I don't think it happened before.

It stops if I pull out the speaker, is this normal? Thanks for any insight.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry for this stupid question. (posting her as well)

I returned my first VC because there was a problem with hissing when I turned up the reverb. The second VC came and doesn't have that issue.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and am noticing for the first time a low humming. I know one tube amps have this problem, but this is the first time I'm noticing it, and I don't think it happened before.

It stops if I pull out the speaker, is this normal? Thanks for any insight.
Well yea because the humming is coming from something in the signal path. Try swapping tubes

Dindude

Don’t pull out the speaker for more than a few seconds without a load box or......BANG!

Yes there is idle hum, a reasonable amount, typical of small single ended tube amps. You just have to live with it. A bad valve could give noise too if it’s something you’ve just noticed.

Mark Al

I have seen multiple reports of idle hums, how bad is the the hum? Can someone post a video of it?

Scuba_Steve

My '68 Custom Vibro Champ just arrived today, so figured I would add to the conversation here. The amp sounds AMAZING when playing, but there is an idle hum... which sounds like is expected out of a single ended amp? (not sure if mine is particularly loud or if it is a normal level). I am slightly concerned about the white noise/hiss when the reverb is engaged. I've added a video of me turning on the amp and engaging the reverb/turning the volume up as well, which doesn't seem to effect the noise coming from the reverb. @Chris Vee and @MIke MM would love to get your feedback on whether this is the same noise you were encountering. Wondering if I should send this right back to Fender and have them ship me a new one.

MIke MM

My '68 Custom Vibro Champ just arrived today, so figured I would add to the conversation here. The amp sounds AMAZING when playing, but there is an idle hum... which sounds like is expected out of a single ended amp? (not sure if mine is particularly loud or if it is a normal level). I am slightly concerned about the white noise/hiss when the reverb is engaged. I've added a video of me turning on the amp and engaging the reverb/turning the volume up as well, which doesn't seem to effect the noise coming from the reverb. @Chris Vee and @MIke MM would love to get your feedback on whether this is the same noise you were encountering. Wondering if I should send this right back to Fender and have them ship me a new one.
Yep, that is exactly the hiss that made me send the first one back.

The second one doesn't have it (and if its there, its much much less), so I would send it back.

I'm only now hearing a slight hum from the actual amp after 3 weeks. I'm not sure if this is the first I'm hearing of it because it was warmer the last few weeks and I had a fan on.

I don't think it was there before, because I was listening to intensely for the hiss, I'm sure I would have heard it before. But of course its driving me batty.

I was in GC center last week, and I was trying out their VC, and the Reverb actually stopped working, so now I'm wondering if there is a quality control issues with these amps.

Would love to hear anyone else's idle hum, this is the first single ended amp, so not sure what is normal.

BTW, even with all the issues, this is an amazing amp, and I hope I can iron out any hum issue with it, and if the hum is not normal, replace it.

Last edited:

Mark Al

Thanks for posting a video, the reverb hiss sounds excessive, the hum is tolerable but it's definitely not ideal... @ricks57custom is this normal/expected? :rolleyes:

tochiro

Thank you for making and posting the video. I am now cancelling my order because I think both the hum and the hiss are fully unacceptable. It reminds me the noise problems I had with a 68 Custom Princeton and Deluxe that I tried extensively and sent back.

It's not like there were no other amps on the market. And no, I have another single ended amp and there's no unacceptable hum like that. As to the reverb, the hiss is a mystery to me for a digital reverb. Fender must not make any quality check, they must rely on their name only IMO.

dyna

I think the hum at idle is low, and perfectly normal for a single-ended amp. I have this hum on both my Princeton 5f2a and my CVC.
The hiss from the reverb sounds excessive. I don’t have that hiss at all in my Vibro Reverb. Not that I would suffer to much since the reverb, while good sounding, only sounds good up to 4-5 to me anyway.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I think the hum at idle is low, and perfectly normal for a single-ended amp. I have this hum on both my Princeton 5f2a and my CVC.
The hiss from the reverb sounds excessive. I don’t have that hiss at all in my Vibro Reverb. Not that I would suffer to much since the reverb, while good sounding, only sounds good up to 4-5 to me anyway.
I completely agree! My idle hum is basically non existent. It's much quieter at idle than most tube amps.

Regarding the Reverb hiss....it's noticeable when increased from 0 to 10 at IDLE, but it's completely inaudible when playing even at low volumes. I also agree that most people will limit the Reverb to 5 at the highest during normal playing. But, I didn't notice any Reverb hiss even when set to 10 while playing as indicated in the video I posted several weeks ago.

Personally, I think these so called "issues" are getting blown way out of proportion.....UNLESS some people are experiencing noise levels much higher than mine?

A recording is going to pick up some idle noise in all amps with a microphone close to the speaker. If you put your ear a few inches away from any speaker (don't do this, I'm just saying), it's amazing how "noisy" the amp will sound at idle.....

@Scuba_Steve It's hard to know how loud the noise is in your recording? Does your idle noise "fill the room" or just with head near speaker. Is your reverb hiss noticeable when playing or just at idle?

Last edited: