Fender 7.25 vs 9.5" radius. Whats the big deal?

budglo58

I have steered clear from Fenders 7.25 " necks with vintage frets. Never really tried many of them. My other strats are 9.5 with Dunlop 6105 frets. Big difference. I decided after trying one out at GC to buy one . I bought a AVRI 57 Reissue strat . Its been 2 weeks and I gotta say I dont understand what all the hubbub is about. Pretty smooth transition . It took me a day or so to get used to the vintage frets since 6105s are on the opposite end of the spectrum. But I dont really even notice the difference. So whats your experience?

Rayzaa

I notice the difference. I prefer bigger frets but it isnt a deal breaker.I also like/prefer a 9.5 radius or even a 7.25 to a 12. I dont see whats so hard to bend on those radius. Especially 9.5. Pretty easy imo.
In fact if i ever order a custom G&L , it will be with a 9.5 radius. Stock they only come with a 12.

teledude55

depends on how you play, hand size, if you keep your thumb behind the neck or not. I had a Custom Shop Strat with 7.25 and thought it was great for chords but bends were kind of trippy. I also thought the vintage frets were so small that it would need a refret more often. sold that guitar and got a '62 Hot Rod Strat and an amp.

I tend to go with a minimum of ten as well ( my favorite so far being my 12-16 compound radius neck). Though i have never played a 7.25 inch neck. It might not make that big of a difference if your used to 9.5's I know 2 inched of radius isn't a big difference in feel as long as the frets are same size.

LReese

I grew up on the 7.25"

There's really no problem for me with any radius (I have 7.25, 9.5, 12, 10-14 and 16") - the only downside to the flatter radius is its a little harder to bar chords.

Good fretwork with the 7.25" is fine, but the action needs to be a hair higher. The one in my rotation is sitting at .070" (if that high) at the 21st fret so its still pretty low. 9.5" seems to be one of the happy mediums.

budglo58

I play Martins at 16 , a 335 with a 12 . My 2 strats like I say 9.5 with 6105s and the 7.25. To me the vintage frets were more an issue. I got this guitar from Willcutts and they set it up as well. They did a great job. Not really high action and no fretting out at all. I play all up and down the neck. Maybe I just got lucky.

LReese

There's something odd with me - I felt vintage frets were an issue too.

I put my Cunetto era Strat back into rotation - maybe those frets are slightly taller than usual, but they felt really good.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Silver Supporting Member
I cannot stand 7.25" radius necks - even worse if they have small frets. I find 9 1/2" marginal, but prefer about a 12" radius neck and medium jumbo frets. 1 11/16" nut width too, please. Mind you, this is on a Fender style guitar.

Chicago Slim

I play PRS Starla's and HH Strats. The C shape, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets, feel similar to my Starla's. I just try to keep my guitars, close in feel.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
There was a heated thread about this a few weeks back.

It's just personal preference.

I can go back and forth between 7.25" and 9.5" fairly easily. But if I had to pick one I'd stick with 7.25", it just feels more comfortable to me. I don't have any issues bending, but I agree that with a 7.25" neck it's beneficial to have frets a little larger than the vintage ones Fender use on those guitars.

I have a '57 AVRI and a '62 AVRI Strat (both with 7.25" necks) and the frets on the '57 are just a little too small IMHO, the frets on the '62 are fine. I'm considering a re-fret for the '57.

rwijaya

I grew up on the 7.25"

There's really no problem for me with any radius (I have 7.25, 9.5, 12, 10-14 and 16") - the only downside to the flatter radius is its a little harder to bar chords.

Good fretwork with the 7.25" is fine, but the action needs to be a hair higher. The one in my rotation is sitting at .070" (if that high) at the 21st fret so its still pretty low. 9.5" seems to be one of the happy mediums.
tons of jazz players prefer the flatter radius and i'm pretty sure they use bar chords a lot.

recently i had a conversation to a friend of mine who is really close to ted greene, even the bar chord master in his later playing days prefer the radius on his guild rather than his vintage tele.

7.25 might be easier for Open Chord though. YMMV

Last edited:

kingofrats

Going from 7.25 with vintage frets to 9.5 with medium jumbo frets was a revelation for me. So much more comfortable to me...

Last edited:

Mr Analog

Nothing wrong with a 7.25" neck. There are advantages in playability and tone for some players, including some of the best in the world. For me personally, the most comfortable radius for a strat is 7.25"-12" compound.

Average Joe

It's the combo of small frets + 7,25 radius that i dislike. I like the small frets on my 335, and i dont mind the slightly higher action on a 7,25 when they have bigger frets like the Road Worn. But the combination of the two = too much work for me

Trending Topics