Sold Fender 70s Silverface Bandmaster Reverb

thorny64

Please read! I inspected the amp and have attached a lot more detail that should answer any questions you may have.

78 fender silverface bandmaster reverb head.
I just got this in a trade deal from an older customer locally about a week or two ago. It came in working fine except for the reverb. I replaced the reverb tank and that fixed the reverb. It already appears to have new tubes. Upon my detailed inspection the main electrolytics have been replaced/recapped (in the "ashtray" underneath), and on the top inside the chassis the 4 resistors on the (2) 6L6 power tube sockets have been replaced, and the power switch might have been replaced - all of this is NORMAL maintenance and enhances the value of the amp by keeping the amp in top condition.

I did not see anything else that had been changed to my knowledge, and I work on these all the time so I can generally spot things quickly. If you want ANYTHING changed additional I can give you a quote for that, but most of the maintenance seems to have been completed. I myself did nothing else to it except inspect and test it to make sure everything works correctly, reverb, tremolo, and amp controls - all work and sound as they should. The amp is in fairly typical condition for a 40 yr old or so amp that has been maintained - it has its share of dings and marks on it so it is not a closet queen such as tolex messed up and glued in the right corner (near the chassis strap) and has metal corners installed on the front - but as you can see it looks very good overall and is an excellent player. I have the tube covers too even though I don't show them in the pictures (they will be included).

The head weighs around 30 lbs or so, less than all but the lightest combos. These models came out in the later 70s and were rated 70w and the serial number stamp on the chassis is A837, which points to a 78 or 79 year from charts online (so that agrees with the general assessment). Electronically these amplifier chassis are like Super Reverbs of the same era except with different ohms output(bandmasters are 4, but supers are typically 2 ohms out). All transformers have the correct date and mfgr codes so are original (dated to 1978). It appears it has the original cosmetics as well. The amp looks good and plays great.

The amp should be a great fender sound and tone so you can stack on your distortion, fuzz, overdrive, or what ever flavor pedals you need to season to taste. Many excellent players tour using this method, using a great fender head for the clean tone and with pedals for gain. There is not really anything left to discuss. This is an excellent deal at only $499 + shipping.

No trades! I took this in on trade with some cash toward a tele and really just need the cash. I have a terrific vintage fender that I will not part with, so I don't need it. But I have no doubt it will make someone an excellent vintage fender amp without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

thorny64

does it say 70 watts over the output jacks? No tube rectifier?
Correct. No tube rectifier, just like a bassman and many other fenders. Yes, says 70w - probably optimistic as fender twins at that time said 135w if I recall.

thorny64

I was referring to many 2x6L6 fenders having a SS rectifier such as bassmans which had been doing it for many years prior to that. I was in no way implying it was the same circuit.

If you are going to compare it to another amp it is just like the Super Reverb from the same era. It is virtually the same as a Super chassis of that era if it were placed into a head cabinet (tone stack/mid control and all). The only significant difference being the ohms output and the faceplate. I didn't measure but a super might even fit directly in the bandmaster cabinet.

Either way though, this is a great deal on a great sounding and well-made Silverface Fender head. It sounds as it should and is reasonably priced.

Last edited:

thorny64

Yep, I'll agree with that. It should be a great platform for fender tube amp tone, and use your pedals for distortion, fuzz, what ever flavor you like.

Last edited:

Trending Topics