Fender 75 mods?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rich M, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Rich M

Rich M Member

I recently got a Fender 75 in pretty good shape. I had one in high school and getting one again brought back memories (not all of them good). I want to fix this amp up and it has a number of features I like (like 1/4 power switch). Before I go into spice modelling extremes on this funky circuit, are there mods out there that I can implement to try and fix it. Basically my complaint is the distortion is pretty undefined, even for preamp distortion. I think a PPIMV and some lower gain tubes may help, but I'd be interested in ideas.;)

2. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

I would not try to mod this beast...

It's hard enough to work on, let alone mod...

-Jon

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

I remember a post over at the fender forum where someone was modding a 75. Try a search over there.

4. Rich M

Rich M Member

Thanks, Do you have a link? I found two fender forums, but couldn't find 75 mods on either.

5. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Rich -

I bought the 1-12 combo when they first came out !!

What worked best for me was when I threw off my back porch onto the driveway !!

At LEAST it stopped the horrible sounds that came from that thing;)

And to think I traded stright up for a Marshall JMP head and 4X12 for that piece-o-crap - what WAS I thinkin ??

6. msymank

msymank Member

I just picked one up a few months ago and am struggling with it mightly.

Every once in a while I dial it in to some degree, but the second my band starts, its an eq nightmare. The bright switch is from hell, its actually painful, and without it on its as dull as can be. Mid-boost is interesting, but I can't think of when I would use it.
    I looked inside and it is a rats nest.

I really want to like this thing, but must admit, right now I am liking the fact that it has wheels on the bottom more than anything else.

Let me know if you come up with anything good.