Fender 78 twin reverb - quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by VintageKnob, Apr 3, 2008.

1. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I'm looking at a mint, one owner 78 twin. 135 watts, ouch!

Is there anything 'wrong' with these amps. I've heard that late 70's Fenders are poorly made.

Do you have one? Any other late 70's Fenders?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

- D

2. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Well, compared to a 60's twin it's not that great. BUT, people have been crapping on these for so long that it's easy to forget that they are solid, great sounding amps. Really clean, but that's what they were made for.

3. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

IMO it's not really like the construction quality is that bad... the chassis and many parts are very similar. the lead routing is notoriously bad (caused instability which then caused them to add more parts to fix the instability which caused negative tonal symptoms...) some of that can be 'fixed' easily.

big thing in a 135 watter is it's ultralinear design and output tranny. some people think this is a complete incurable curse since it makes for a very clean, loud signal. some people think UL is actually not a bad idea as long as you fix/tweak some other elements of the design. the master volume and boost circuits are also notoriously bad for instance. re: the UL, I seem to recall some having good luck in tweaking resistor values around the UL screens but leaving it in place, but never played with one myself...

i'd go in with the idea that it'd need at least some work done to get it in reasonable shape... what you do is up to you - could be just a few of the most obvious fixes, could be a major rebuild/overhaul.

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Weighing against this is was when the amp was made, Fender was involved in a power/volume race that was just insane.

At 135 watts, you will never get the tubes cooking on that amp in a small or medium sized club without getting yourself fired.

5. RedRock

RedRock Member

But, of course, today there are 579 different pedals available.

6. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

Hey ya'll,

thanks for your input, especially vibro', I knew that there was something negative in my mind about the late 70's SF's but I couldn't remember what it was. That's what I was looking for when I posted this.

I'm well aware of the power of the beast, I had a 72 I played for the first 15 years of my playing life. When I get another twin, it will be for the country cleans at almost any volume.

Thanks,

- D

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Much higher quality than most production amps made today.

MUCHO clean power. If you're looking for an amp that breaks up, this is NOT the one.

If you want an ultra clean, LOUD amp that's great with pedals this might be the ticket for you.

8. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I have a 70's UL Super that my tech just got done with and I have to tell you I love it. I breaks up at very reasonable volumes and really sustains well. I know he put switch to dissconnect the trememlo, tweaked the negative feedback, and some other stuff but nothing major. I put a 5751 in the pI slot. It cleans up well and overdrives well. Not much louder than my BF Tremolux through 2x12 cab with Webers. Say what you want. You can't BF face them thats true...but you can get them sounding damn good. I'm guessing a lot of techs really don't know these amps well or care to so they just leave them as is. I bet if someone re-made them and put them in some slick cab they'd be the next $4,000.00 head. As far as the 135 watt twin I don't know but I'm thinking it could be a grreat amp for larger places....No, the wine and cheese crowd won't be loving you cranking it but thats what the 70 watters are for!!!!!! Yea Baby..